S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roamer drive over drive unit question  (Read 3223 times)

Jonny72

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4370
  • .:
Re: Roamer drive over drive unit question
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »

Hey guys,  I have only driven one car with a Laycock deNormanville over drive installed.  It was a long time ago.  It seems to me that there half gears that could be used by taking the overdrive in and out. 
I am having a Roamer drive overdrive installed in my '65 109 petrol CSW.  I have read that the overdrive is an aid in off roading but don't fully understand why?  Is the Roamerdrive essentially used for a fifth gear? =lower RPMs at speed, etc.

Can anyone shed more light on the overdrive?
Thanks

I think the Roamerdrive can be seen as an aid to off-roading in the sense that you’ll have 16 forward gear ratios to choose from vs 8 with the regular hi/Lo transfer box. But having said that, I don't think the standard Series Land Rover lacks off-road capability if it doesn’t have an overdrive fitted.

I was very pleased with the Roamerdrive in my Series IIA, mainly because it lowers engine revs/noise and marginally increases the highway cruising speed. It’s almost silent in operation. I subsequently fitted a Roamerdrive to my Series 1 and have bought another (in the sales) for my Series 3.  Really great, easy to fit upgrades.

109 fever

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7647
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 12:40:11 AM »

Summed up well.  Thank you.   the 109 arrived from the shop yesterday and the overdrive is really neat.
Joe
1954 86" Series 1 NADA Soft top LHD
1956 107" Series 1 station wagon LHD
'#03962 Series IIa 109 2 door soft top LHD
'#03965 Series IIa 109 station wagon LHD
'#03986 110 county station wagon LHD
1990 110 Perentie soft top. RHD
'#03994 NAS D90 Soft top
'#03997 NAS D90 Soft top

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 02:44:58 AM »

Does the Roamerdrive have a longer selector rod option? I had one fitted when I had my 6 pot done up and the guy has modified the rod to fit and it is not a pretty mod, in fact it’s  >:D ugly.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 03:08:00 AM »

Does the Roamerdrive have a longer selector rod option? I had one fitted when I had my 6 pot done up and the guy has modified the rod to fit and it is not a pretty mod, in fact it’s  >:D ugly.

Contact them;  http://roamerdrive.com/contactform.htm

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 11:07:14 AM »

I lengthened the double-threaded center section of the selector rod on mine for my six, maybe not beautiful, but I don't look at it much  :-X

What IS a problem is the long throw of the shift lever with the dormobile seats. The lever hit both at the seat and the flat heater, until I shortened it! Now, it's just really hard to engage because of the short lever arm. Roamerdrive told me that a hard shift is a feature of the synchro in the early ones, and mine is one of the first.

I'd like a bellcrank with a longer lower arm on the selector rod so that the throw is shorter on the shift lever. I may make one, someday.

-Jeremy

109 fever

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7647
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2020, 12:13:10 AM »

My overdrive shift rod interfered with the gear shifter in 2nd and 4th.  The installer heated the rod and bent it slightly away.  Now good.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.