S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VFD Inverter  (Read 1516 times)

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
VFD Inverter
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:47:36 PM »

Hi , are there any vfd gurus on the forum please, would like to know if the chineses vfds require a momentary action switch for start stop reverse etc or a latching action , from the drawings and pidgin ingrish instructions Ican find on the Web it isn't clear ,
Cheers

ZebraDriver

• Chassis welder
VFD Inverter
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 06:10:22 PM »

Tends to be momentary for start and may be NC or momentary for stop. Forward/reverse is normally latching.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
VFD Inverter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 06:31:22 PM »

If I had the foggiest what a VFD was, I might be able to help. Out of pure interest, is there any chance you can enlighten me as to its purpose in life? :stars
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
VFD Inverter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 06:59:14 PM »

Yes, I was wondering too. It doesn't sound like anything Land Rover.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
VFD Inverter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 07:22:21 PM »

I too have/had not got a clue  :stars

Until I Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogled it.

From  :wiki

Variable Frequency Drive
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A variable-frequency drive (VFD) or adjustable-frequency drive (AFD), variable-voltage/variable-frequency (VVVF) drive, variable speed drive (VSD), AC drive, micro drive or inverter drive is a type of motor drive used in electro-mechanical drive systems to control AC motor speed and torque by varying motor input frequency and voltage.

VFDs are used in applications ranging from small appliances to large compressors. About 25% of the world's electrical energy is consumed by electric motors in industrial applications. Systems using VFDs can be more efficient than those using throttling control of fluid flow, such as in systems with pumps and damper control for fans. However, the global market penetration for all applications of VFDs is relatively small.

Over the last four decades, power electronics technology has reduced VFD cost and size and has improved performance through advances in semiconductor switching devices, drive topologies, simulation and control techniques, and control hardware and software.

VFDs are made in a number of different low- and medium-voltage AC-AC and DC-AC topologies.

And so we can allow it as it's a bit of kit you might have/need in your workshops/garages.

Everyday is a school day  :tiphat
Who's a then ?

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
VFD Inverter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »

The mist has cleared... a bit...

Its the acronym I didn't recognise. I recall training discussions at LR talking about Variable Speed Drives - make s abit more sense now.

Still can't help though!  :stars :tiphat

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Re: VFD Inverter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 07:37:39 PM »

Got it. Thanks. I thoroughly it was something to do with computers about which I know absolutely nothing.

paulv

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6421
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 08:20:32 PM »

The ones I’ve played with have been momentary, to be fair the instructions they come with were ok everything is fully programmable and all the controls on the panel can be wired from a connection block to additional remote switches/pots if required. I used one to control a geared drive on a sawmill head, it works well, you can do so much with them. However they don’t make tea so I still need a Margaret.

Gingertom

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 2257
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 08:40:28 PM »

Generally if you want external (remote)  start & stop pushbuttons then they would be connected as  "3 wire control" with a "normally open" start contact & a "normally closed" stop contact (both momentary) alternatively "2 wires" only requires a "normally open" start signal ie an on/off switch.
Most VSD can also just be controlled in a "local"mode from the keypad (assuming it has one) on the front which should have run/ stop keys

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 11:02:23 PM »

FWIW as a retired electronics engineer, my first thought was Vacuum Fluorescent Display, but then the "start, stop, reverse" bit got a bit confusing.  :stars

TLAs can be a minefield......

riley1ton

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 02:08:57 PM »

When I use my vfd the next door neighbours broadband drops out.

Mowersman

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 03:05:18 PM »

Most can be set up to work with either. A lot have a relay built in that can be used to make a momentary switch into a latching one. I have several VFDs here, using both types of switch.
Andrew
FUD216C 1965 SWB running a 19J/200 TDI hybrid, on 100% WVO all year round.
NFO515 1961 109SW EX mil, rebuilt 2.25 petrol on LPG (26100012a)

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 09:39:37 PM »

Hi , thank you chaps , running a woodturning lathe on one of these is an absolute pleasure, along side the infinitely variable speed within the parameters of the drive and motor , controlled ramp up and down ,reversing , no snatching of the drive , looks like Iwill be buying momentary nc and no switches ,
Thanks

Mowersman

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 11:44:33 AM »

Hi , thank you chaps , running a woodturning lathe on one of these is an absolute pleasure, along side the infinitely variable speed within the parameters of the drive and motor , controlled ramp up and down ,reversing , no snatching of the drive.
Thanks
They really are the best thing since sliced bread. In my workshop the lathe, mill and bandsaw are all on one. I need to order one for my new compressor as well...
Andrew

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 12:00:14 PM »

When I use my vfd the next door neighbours broadband drops out.

I haven't seen a problem with our internet connection but we used to have mains wired smoke alarms in the house with a signal link wire between them all, if one alarm goes off it triggers the rest.

My big 3-phase inverter used to upset them though and if the inverter was running for a few minutes without driving a motor all the alarms would sound scaring the hell out my missus in the house normally with a cat sitting on her who would depart the room at a rate of knots...!

I never did find a way to stop it so after looking at the smoke alarms and realising they were a few days away from the expiry date anyway, I tucked the mains wiring into the floor space and fitted independent battery alarms.
I can only assume the inverter was building up some kind of interference in the electric cables?

Craig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.