S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Series 2A v Series 3 Steering columns  (Read 2414 times)

O7BE16

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7056
  • .:
Series 2A v Series 3 Steering columns
« on: February 15, 2021, 07:38:57 PM »

My Series 2A Lightweight has a Series 3 column cowl and indicator switch pack fitted. Does this mean that the previous owner has installed a complete Series 3 column? If this is the case will I be able to remove the Series 3 column cowl and switches are and fit the Series 2A horn contact ring etc or do I need to find a Series 2A column? Checking vehicle details is not possible at the moment due to the restrictions! Thanks Richard

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Series 2A v Series 3 Steering columns
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 08:08:43 PM »

What you have may well be correct.

What are called 2A LWTs were built in the S3 production period and may well have what some would recognise as "S3 parts".
A chassis number would help to decide what steering column/shroud yours should have.

Pictures of the inside/dash panel/steering wheel would help.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

O7BE16

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 08:24:29 PM »

It is an early 2A Lightweight  23601121A built in February 1969 so I am pretty certain it should have a 2A column. Various previous owners have 'up graded' it to Series 3 standard, I am in the process of taking it back in time. Just trying to get an idea of what parts I need to obtain. Due to lockdown access is limited at the moment. Thanks

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »

The 2A 236 LWTs had the "plastic" steering wheel and the 2A column without any of the "frilly" S3 column shroud.

A picture would help, but I can't see why you can't remove the shroud and sort the horn and indicator out.
Here's mine, made in January 1969:-

:RHD

O7BE16

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 10:13:48 PM »

Thanks. I had assumed that the only changes were a cut out for the column lock and indicator canceller in the column outer and thus back dating should be possible.

A 2A column appearing on ebay triggered my thoughts

Richard

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 07:27:38 AM »

Hi,

Unless I was a dyed-in-the-wool enthusiast, I'd stay with the S3 column, because ...

1. It has a steering lock, key start facility. I don't know if the diesel "kill" button can be adapted to operate the choke.

2. I understand that a Range Rover steering wheel will fit, and there is something in my mind that an MGB (large diameter) steering wheel will also fit.  But more to the point, you can fit a range of steering wheel bosses, that will allow you to browse the Complete Automobilist catalogue for after-market aluminium and steel "spoke" steering wheels.  The steering wheels from Rover 60, 75, 80, 90 ... etc were very impressive bits of kit, but probably too posh for a Series.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 08:50:16 AM »

I fitted a S3 steering box /column and switch gear to my 2A Lightweight because at the time I wanted  the functionality of steering column lock and headlamp flasher etc . It all fitted into the S3 lightweight cowl. It was over 40 years ago and I vaguely remember the bolt sizes were larger on the S3 , fixing the box to the bracket off the chassis.

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 08:57:52 AM »

I fitted a S3 steering box /column and switch gear to my 2A Lightweight because at the time I wanted  the functionality of steering column lock and headlamp flasher etc . It all fitted into the S3 lightweight cowl. It was over 40 years ago and I vaguely remember the bolt sizes were larger on the S3 , fixing the box to the bracket off the chassis.

Correct, S3 boxes are 7/16" fasteners where they bolt to the mounting bracket, as opposed to 3/8" on a 2a box. Not actually sure when the chsnge took place but I believe it to be at the change over from.2a to 3.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 09:52:49 AM »

The cheapest solution might just be to stick with the S3 Column and fit the 2A bits to it. The top bearing is the same part number, so the chances are that the actual tube is the same as the 2A one. If that's correct, then it should be possible to fit the horn ring to the Series 3 column and then the horn contact cover to the steering wheel. That's the bit the Tex Magna wheel runs on. You'd still have the slot for the column lock I guess, but some discrete black tape securing the feed to the horn might cover that up. Might be worth checking inner column lengths though just to be sure. My Lightweight is a December 1968 build and definitely has 2A parts. The column is yet to be fitted, so if you need some measurements, let me know and I'll send them over.

Or am I talking b%**%£#s? If so, I'll get my coat...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 10:17:32 AM »

There was spring clip to cover the hole for the lock in the tube on S3 , 577472 

2a_Lightweight

• Hub seal tester
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 12:46:08 PM »

The s3 outer column length is different from the 2a pretty sure this causes the steering wheel contacts not to reach the column contacts if you try to revert to a 2a setup with a 3 column.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 07:40:00 PM »

Mine is a 1971 production, so near the end of the 2A Lightweights. Originally a LHD so a 239 chassis number.

The key bit, though, is NO sign of any plastic on the steering column.

Pic when it arrived, changed a bit since, not least the deletion of the POs bathroom carpet off-cuts !
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

O7BE16

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 08:10:16 PM »

Thanks for all your responses. I might be tempted to see if I can obtain a Series 2A column. Has anybody got one for sale? Thanks

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 08:14:30 PM »

Typically, I've sold two on eBay in the last 6 months... I'll ask about though.

JonB

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7143
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 09:04:34 PM »

I’ve got a friends 74 lightweight on my drive and have had the column shroud off.

The brackets for the ign sw, stalk and fuse box are all clamped to the plain column and can be removed, leaving a plain ‘tube’

There’s no steering lock so the ign switch and fuse box (4 fuses) could be relocated easily enough but you’d need to fit a new dip and horn switch.

I believe the flasher canceller is via a circular plate behind the steering wheel so you’d lose this with a tex stalk.

If been lucky enough to find an original Lucas tps1 vacuum flasher switch. After dismantling and cleaning it works brilliantly, I’ve set it for about 10 seconds before it clicks off.

Jon

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 19 queries.