S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garage advice please.  (Read 4890 times)

JonB

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7143
  • .:
Re: Garage advice please.
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2021, 09:11:46 PM »

Had a dehumidifier running in a friends double garage (substantial wood building) on ‘auto’ with a permanent drain to outside and it was costing about £30 a month in electricity.

Tried some small tube heaters as well, but just as expensive to run and to be honest, I couldn’t feel any temperature change from them ( I think it was about 600 watts worth).

Just my two penneth

Cheers-Jon

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
Re: Garage advice please.
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2021, 09:21:19 PM »

Hi,
I suppose if nothing else this subject has proved at least one thing, our individual experiences of the same problem while using different remedies or combinations of remedies have different outcomes. And there seems to be two common denominators - Heat & Ventilation

Just a thought, if we compare our garage with our lounge, does that tell us anything?

Well I suppose our lounge is better protected against the influences of outside temperature & humidity and we have central heating. And if you've ever watched Homes under the Hammer you'll have seen the consequences of leaving a house shut up and unoccupied for extended periods (e.g. several months) = damp walls. Interpretation: Lack of reasonable heat & ventilation causes moisture causes damp walls.

Maybe our different experiences are all dictated by geographic location (north/south/in a valley/on top of a hill), wind direction, building materials (floor/roof/walls) seasonal ambient temperature and who knows what else!

As for me, I`ve got a large uninsulated corrugated metal building with a tall apex roof and not a chance in hell of heating it and as for ventilation I`ve got more than my fair share and yes condensation to.

We make our choices and pays our money and if it works for you that is all that matters.

Good luck in your battles
 :grinder
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.