S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Slightly OT - CV-19 & Days Out.  (Read 3599 times)

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
Slightly OT - CV-19 & Days Out.
« on: February 21, 2021, 01:48:35 PM »

A lovely day down here guys, so I've just given the grass a quick cut.  First of 2021 and mower on the highest setting.....

But it made me think,  that whist I'm all for following the Government guidelines on the CV-19 (and at 76 years old I'm in an at-risk group, though I've had the Oxford jab),  I really don't think that jumping into the S2 on such a lovely day, on my own, and trundling along a few green lanes with a couple of socially-distanced Club and/or Forum members, can be that much of a risk either to me or them - or indeed anyone else?

Is our hobby too much of a risk, or should we cautiously start to go out a bit?  Only as far as a tank of fuel that will get you there & back of course, not 300 mile drive each way - unless you need to test your eyes....

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
Re: Slightly OT - CV-19 & Days Out.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 01:51:17 PM »

Nowt wrong with that, I did a couple of solo lanes the other month, just pick the ones you’re not likely to get stuck on. :-\

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 02:22:44 PM »

It's the risk of something going wrong or things out of your control - breaking down, an accident, cross contamination through touching gates etc. The risk is always there with commuting or food shopping etc but by reducing the number of unnecessary journeys and outings the rate of spread is reduced. (Obviously even having had the vaccine you are still able to transmit and carry the virus on your person).

Take a look at the guys who went wild camping in the Lakes and had to call out mountain rescue - as a result an MRT member's life is changed forever. Okay, this could indeed have happened at any time, lockdown or not, but I don't think they expected to need to call out Mountain Rescue when they decided to go up there, on their own in the mountains, presumably not in contact with anyone.

Hopefully it won't be for too much longer now, with the vaccine rolling out. Hospital admissions, confirmed cases and deaths are all falling currently, and whilst big organised events are probably quite a way off, some sort of normality where a gentle laning trip is allowed can't be TOO far away now... can they? :-X

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 02:58:41 PM »

I always wear gloves out of habit anyway when I'm driving the S2, and I wasn't considering going on my own. 

Frankly, the Essex lanes are a different proposition from the mountains in the lakes, sticky Essex clay mud is the biggest hazard around here.  But if the lanes have dried out enough.....

I just think a gentle potter along some lanes, with other like-minded socially-distanced, socially responsible Club and/or Forum members, shouldn't be much more of a problem than is a drive to the local supermarket.

Sooner or later, our lives will have to recover whatever the new normal is going to be, and the sooner we come to terms with minimising the risk of the serious infection CV-19 is, the better.  But life has to go on........

Ndrwdz

• Shop Manager
  • S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3755
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 03:10:51 PM »

Hampshire Police have today stopped a group of bikers who had "No reasons for being 60 miles from home, so they have been issued FPN's for #Covidbreach".

Twitter Link
[ºº]O O[ºº]

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 03:14:16 PM »

By all accounts there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Even on a gentle green lane amble you could have a problem and need assistance which might require help outside of your bubble.

I should think most of our forum users have now had their 1st jab and by Easter well on the way for the 2nd.

Things are looking promising for resuming Land Rovering activities July/August  ???
Who's a then ?

gcc130

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 03:29:41 PM »

Are most forum users over 65?
I think there are still lots of forum users who haven’t been invited for our vaccination and won’t be for a while yet.
I think the crucial fact is we are still in lockdown and driving a green lane isn’t an essential journey.
I’m not a kill joy, I’m an area rep for the Series 1 club and run monthly meets and road/greenlane runs, club members regularly contact me to ask when we can resume.
As soon as we can legally go back out together we will, I can’t wait🙂

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 03:32:50 PM »

Yes, my understanding is we're still in lockdown. No unnecessary journeys are allowed. Days out not allowed either.
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »

There will be no chance of the government keeping people following advice if restrictions are lifted for people who have been vaccinated before they are lifted for those who have not yet been offered the vaccine. That is one of the main reasons the effectiveness of vaccination in reducing transmission will not be published yet - the data was generated as far back as September (in the same studies which validated the percentage effectiveness of the vaccine). You can potentially infer that vaccination -does- significantly reduce the incidence of transmission, since if it did not, there would be no reason to delay publication of this information, but that is speculative.

There are four key factors at work here:
1. Rate of vaccination - that is now in the region of 2million people per week so you would reach full vaccination in approximately another 25 weeks.
2. Availability of vaccine - that could become a limiting factor on achieving the above.
3. The rates of hospitalisation and death. In government terms, higher levels of infection which are asymptomatic or mild enough that people remain at home do not matter. It is only overwhelming the NHS or high levels of death which are regarded as politically unacceptable.
4. More effective treatments becoming available. This is happening in parallel with vaccine development - if this significantly reduces the number of people who need hospital treatment or die then the infection rate can rise.

The COVID impact on the one hand is weighed against other short-term impacts on the other, including the economic impact and the rate of death above the baseline from other causes including suicide, domestic violence, heart-attacks and strokes; together with a minor weighting for reduced life expectancy due to other effects such as increased obesity and delayed diagnosis (the total number of life-years which are projected to be lost to the three main cancers due to delayed diagnosis already hugely outstrips the total deaths from COVID, but these deaths will not occur all at once so are deemed more acceptable).

Throw that lot into the mix and you get out a view on what is/is not acceptable to the government for people to do as a progression over time. It is very difficult to predict, but if I had to hazard a guess I would suggest there will be re-opening of schools in the second week of March and if, as anticipated, this does not result in much of a rise (mainly because it has probably already gone round most schoolchildren and their families), opening of non-essential retail around late March.

Social activity such as pubs/restaurants may well open around the same time, but there is likely to be a big change. One of the huge fights which is coming is over asymptomatic testing. Currently, it looks like it would be difficult to force an employee, or anyone who is legally obliged to be in a particular place, to have a test. It would need a change in the law to do it, but it looks like things are gearing up to test that principle in schools and workplaces. However, anywhere where it is optional to be, a test could be made obligatory to enter and that would include pubs and restaurants. This is likely to be played out against a timeframe in which rates are falling (more people have been vaccinated and the weather is warmer anyway) so it could be difficult to force through.

Given this potential sticking point, and that the government would clearly prefer to keep things locked down during periods where greater numbers of people than normal may meet socially, I would suggest that social interaction of some form may resume after Easter (another two months from now) and that somewhere around May/June is the likely point where a small group of people from different households may be allowed to meet, but if that involves anything like a pub or a restaurant they need to be a position where they can afford to risk taking a test.

Some form of structured return to something that may resemble 'normal' in some aspects (e.g. able to visit relatives under some circumstances, or meet friends indoors) looks like it may start to be possible from around September, although a new rise/new variant may well put paid to that again by October/November. It looks likely that next winter will have less impact and hence the lockdown will be shorter and maybe less severe, with a possible relaxation of some rules, like being able to go on holiday, visit friends relatively freely etc. in summer 2022. Whether entering a building without a facemask will ever be allowed again is more debatable - there are some in authority who feel this should be enshrined permanently in law to reduce the spread of other potential diseases.

There are too many factors to call this one. Relating back to the original topic, it is worth noting that you are currently allowed to go shopping and are not obliged to always visit the same shop just because it is the closest, or to follow the same route, so long as the route you take is reasonable. There could be some nicer, more scenic routes to and from some different shops in some other towns in the same general area, which would still be within the principle.

Alec

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 06:43:21 PM »

I should think most of our forum users have now had their 1st jab and by Easter well on the way for the 2nd.

Steady on... I've got a few years to go yet before I get to the ripe old age of 65... So no... Still waiting to be notified as to when I get my calling. As I've just had Covid, I'm full of antibodies anyway (NHS's words - not mine, as they tested me this week because they want some of my blood apparently for plasma). There's a Tony Hancock joke in there somewhere.

1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 07:12:12 PM »

The Membership system has a feature that allows new members to include their age. With just over a years worth of data included the "peak" is in the range 50-56.  Not sure how accurate that is, longer serving members who were added to the system as part of the initial data load are not included in that information.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 07:25:21 PM »

Steady on... I've got a few years to go yet before I get to the ripe old age of 65... So no... Still waiting to be notified as to when I get my calling. As I've just had Covid, I'm full of antibodies anyway (NHS's words - not mine, as they tested me this week because they want some of my blood apparently for plasma). There's a Tony Hancock joke in there somewhere.

Similarly, I am not even in any of the groups which are currently on the list by age or occupation.

Diffwhine - did you get it confirmed that you had COVID then?

Alec

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 07:31:13 PM »

I'm 42 so unlikely to be offered the vaccine for quite some time, and although I was told I'd be referred for a minor op over a year ago I still haven't heard anything, although I'm not sure I'd want to go near a hospital at this time!.

The crunch will be Easter here and whether travel restrictions have been lifted or not I fear we'll be swamped regardless.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 07:41:33 PM »

Similarly, I am not even in any of the groups which are currently on the list by age or occupation.

Diffwhine - did you get it confirmed that you had COVID then?

Alec

Mid January, I tested positive. We reckon I picked it up at the local Land Rover workshop around the 8th Jan from one of their clients who tested positive. Put us all into isolation which was great for business! That's the trouble with this type of work. You can make all the social distancing efforts in the world, but if you can't meet your customers, you can't work!

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 08:09:17 AM »

As for using the nearest shops, the police have had a fine time at Culverhouse Cross, a busy centre just west of Cardiff. The site straddles the Cardiff/Vale boundary, meaning the residents are ok in one shop, but can be fined at another.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.