S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Educate me please at a glance difference between a 2 and a 3  (Read 11798 times)

shiel777

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1701
  • .:
Re: Educate me please at a glance difference between a 2 and a 3
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 08:25:02 PM »

when looking a LWB vehicles the chassis has completely different method of manufacture , series 1,2, 2a are four pieces of steel welded together the series 3 chassis is two channels welded together . So if the chassis has a seam down the middle it is a series 3 chassis but you still need to check the chassis number as it could be a genuine factory replacement

vod80

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6312
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 12:36:26 AM »

when looking a LWB vehicles the chassis has completely different method of manufacture , series 1,2, 2a are four pieces of steel welded together the series 3 chassis is two channels welded together...

I had a 1971 suffix A Series 3 and that was the « 4 flat sheets » style chassis. The change to the two channels chassis came later (but I don’t know when...)
Not getting anywhere, fast

109+1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3618
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 06:00:37 PM »

^^^^lots of the early series 3 chassis were made the same way as the late 2a, IE no central seams. Not sure how long this lasted.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 06:22:42 PM »

.... until they cleared them all out of the yard round the back!

:cheers
Who's a then ?

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 03:06:30 PM »

My S3, 2.6L 109 LHD station built in November '73, had an S2-type 4-sided box chassis. It was all-original with 11k miles from a fire department. I imagine it took a bit longer to use up the S2 supplies for the niche models. It also had the 2-sided SU fuel pump (like Series 2A's) rather than the later plastic pump, and leather hub seals.

In my mind the bulkhead/dash is the big difference with the door hinges second, then the heater, then the use of pop rivets rather than welds or solid rivets; finally the side, indicator and tail lights.

I don't think it was mentioned, yet, that S3's had plastic window locks at the bottom, not the metal knobs at the top, and the horn on the indicator stalk.

An S2A could have these things added to it, though!

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 07:26:46 PM »

My early S3 had a 4 sided chassis , no central seam , although when I got it the chassis was u section under the seat box and butt, AUO378L,      saw it tge other day on Trerulefoot roundabout 20 years after I sold it , stil local
Chris

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 02:44:06 PM »

Whether it's a Series 3 or not, comes down to the chassis number.

POs could have swapped in a Series 2 bulkhead, fitted new wings, or even a wholly different body, or anything - what counts is the chassis number.

:-\
All Series 3 start with a "9" simple as that. They were made from September 1st 1971 onwards - can't remember when they ceased production.
Some claim there were Series 3 "mules" let out and tested before the autumn launch - personally I'm not totally convinced they would have had chassis numbers starting with a 9 ???

... the chassis number convention followed that of the Series 2A in that the first 3 digits designated the model type (e.g. petrol or diesel, SWB or LWB, LHD or RHD etc.). The last 5 digits were the vehicle's serial number (remembering that they didn't all come off the production line in order) and the last letter designates a significant change to the model's specification.

:RHD

Well said, parts may have been changed with innocent or other intent, chassis number is the only constant.

The s3 went on to 1985 in its very very latest form so even the newest are heading for tax and mot exemption in their own right.  The growing problem in my opinion is the amount of blatant 90 110 using series id to escape duty and testing.

Hazbean

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »

I have a lightweight Landrover which I am rebuilding to sell. One problem I have is that it is fitted with a Q plate and the log book does not give a manufacturing date. I have the chassis number which is 95104697A and the military reg is 32 AJ 15. Can anyone help me please?

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2019, 06:10:51 PM »

You have a later Series 3 LWT made in the mid '70s I'd say as a guess... It will have the lights under the wings, a Series 3 style steering column with key lock and an electric screen wash bottle under the bonnet with an electric pump. There are other subtle differences.

You have to appreciate that when the army crashed these they may have fitted newer front ends. And some unscrupulous owners retro fit 2A body parts to try and get a higher sale price  :shakeinghead
(2As are much rarer than 3s and command higher prices)

You will have to contact our VRO re proving the date of manufacture and hence trying to get an age related plate.
DO NOT under any circumstances contact the DVLA on this matter until you have spoken to Peter our VRO at:- [email protected]
Else you stand a good chance of being stuck with the "Q plate"  :shakeinghead

Hazbean

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2019, 09:40:31 AM »

Mine is therefore a series 3 and I will contact your VRO, the problem is I already have a q plate but want an age related plate instead.thanks for your help.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2019, 12:55:46 PM »

The chassis number starting with a 9 is a good indicator....

....but just to point out that the lights/wings bit is not definitive as to Series 2A or Series 3 when it comes to Lightweights. Wittsends vehicle is a '69 vintage, early style. Mine is a '71, late in the production but still a 2A with a 239 chassis number ....but has the later wings/lights. It does not, however, have the plastic cowl around the steering column, electric washers etc of the S3 vehicles which started coming down the production line a few months later.

Note that the changeover to lights in the wings happened during S2A production for all vehicles, driven by legislative changes in the USA & Europe, several years before the start of S3 production - which was arguably just a fairly minor upgrade anyway, improved gearbox, minor engine changes and the introduction of some plastic, start of the slippery slope from the perfection of the S2A to the expensive gadget-filled plastic lined nonsenses JLR turn out now  ( I can say that, now I'm not Chairman anymore  :-X )

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »

It is important to appreciate that the change from 2A LWTs to S3 spec DID NOT happen as the change from the civy models in September 1971.
As Gene points out, the changes/upgrades happened gradually. But after the last 2A MoD contract was fulfilled Land Rover changed the chassis number to follow the Series 3 style and S3 LWTs either have 951***** RHD, or 952***** Export RHD or 953***** RHD CKD (flat pack kits - But none were ever made) No petrol LHD models were made (could be converted in the field) but diesel LWTs were all LHD 895*****

However yours appears to be an RAF LWT RHD GS made between 1977/8 made under contract FVE22A/40  and fairly rare.

RAF vehicle records are kept at the Hendon Museum IIRC and they should have the build card record.
You'll need this to help confirm when your vehicle was made.

[Back in the day, at the time your vehicle was demobbed - usually after 10 years service, it was custom & practise by the DVLA to issue a "Q" plate (the now dreaded) when the date of manufacture was uncertain.]

:RHD

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »

Not wishing to be picky, but I will..... there were certainly LHD S2A Petrols made, Tonka was one, converted after demob to RHD by, I think, Arrows engineering. The MOD chassis had the holes to allow the easy move of the steering box...

The S3 Diesel Lwts were I believe mostly made for the Dutch military.   

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2019, 02:50:39 PM »

Moving back to the original thread title.... this is crying out for a short pictorial comparison stored in the Workshop area ?  S2 hinge vs S3,  Interior shot of dashboards etc.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.