S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT Snake oil or a great idea  (Read 1578 times)

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad

• Gear shifter
  • .:
Re: OT Snake oil or a great idea
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 07:49:41 PM »

As you say, it's snake oil.  Have a search on youtube for Big Clive.  He makes interesting, informative videos about electronics.  He takes apart all this cheap chinese junk and exposes it for what it is: worthless tat.  Most of the gizmos he dismantles have next to nothing in them, and some are downright dangerous.

:shocking

David

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 08:36:12 PM »

^^^ pity I thought the saving would pay for another S11  :thud

Dopey

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 8197
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 08:39:45 PM »

Give me £27, and I will show you how to 1/2 your electric AND gas bill...... stop using them, dam gave it away for free.... I'm never going to me a millinair this time next year!!
Roads? Who Needs Roads.

Get more than 3 pensioners together and they will form a committee.

Been with the S2C since 2002

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 06:24:16 AM »

.... stop using them, dam gave it away for free....

Hi Dopey,

On Penang Island, excessive electricity bills could be reduced ... by finding out where the nearby villagers had connected into your meter. I kid you not.

One palm leaf hut had a Lotus Cortina parked alongside.  Many of the European style bungalows had the front porch used as a bedroom (camp beds, with a "sarong" used as a blanket). Aussie helicopters used to "patrol" up and down the streets of RAF/RAAF occupied bungalows, waving to the ladies taking showers in their back yards. You can't beat a warm climate.  :cheers

mrutty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6626
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 10:21:06 AM »

Noise on a sine wave hmmm ok so thats AM transmission and its picking it up from all over. A 'smooth' wave only impacts things like computers, your washing machine won't care. Total garbage. It would mean if the logic is true that those people using mains to transmit Internet connectivity would see their bills double (huge modulation).

Reminds me of my final year project for my RN apprenticeship, I was transmitting data over the mains. I managed to screw up everyone in the labs test results as the oscilloscopes were picking up my signals.

stuart

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5066
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 02:55:01 PM »

its bull  , they are power factor correctors ,  the best way to save power is to turn stuff off

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 08:46:34 PM »

I managed to screw up everyone in the labs test results as the oscilloscopes were picking up my signals.

Hi,

Is this the time to recount the story of the Scottish policeman who aimed his radar gun at a speeding motorist.

His device registered 350mph, then went blank.

A passing Buccaneer jet fighter, had intercepted his radar beam, identified it as HOSTILE ... and retaliated.

And then there was the story of a a US Navy Admiral who demanded that a "complainer" to get out of the way of the biggest fleet in the world, or suffer the consequences.

"We are a lighthouse!"

mrutty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 11:43:57 PM »

I managed to screw up everyone in the labs test results as the oscilloscopes were picking up my signals.

Hi,

Is this the time to recount the story of the Scottish policeman who aimed his radar gun at a speeding motorist.

His device registered 350mph, then went blank.

A passing Buccaneer jet fighter, had intercepted his radar beam, identified it as HOSTILE ... and retaliated.

And then there was the story of a a US Navy Admiral who demanded that a "complainer" to get out of the way of the biggest fleet in the world, or suffer the consequences.

"We are a lighthouse!"

Lovely stories but both false.

UK speed camera were Doppler at the time and on quite a low frequency so a Buck would not have picked it up (lovely aircraft mind you).

As for the lighthouse, first stated as USS Kittyhawk and had to be false as at the time stated she was in dry dock. I have since seen it stated as HMS Britannica which has never been a carrier.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 05:33:23 AM »

Hi Mrutty,

******!

There was also the story of an RAF Comet (That bit IS possible, as I flew from RAF Lyneham to Aden in an RAF VIP Comet)slowly circling an American carrier. Suddenly it dropped it's undercarriage, and announced "THREE GREENS" ....

The carrier responded by clearing it's deck of fighter jets ... by just pushing them over the side.

Go on then ... spoil my day.

mrutty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 02:16:54 PM »

Hi Mrutty,

******!

There was also the story of an RAF Comet (That bit IS possible, as I flew from RAF Lyneham to Aden in an RAF VIP Comet)slowly circling an American carrier. Suddenly it dropped it's undercarriage, and announced "THREE GREENS" ....

The carrier responded by clearing it's deck of fighter jets ... by just pushing them over the side.

Go on then ... spoil my day.

Not sure on that one as the yanks chuck aircraft over the side all the damn time.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 02:26:03 PM »

I use the network over the mains cable things here at home. They do work well and it has allowed me to get a wireless signal in the summer house and a wired connection in the garage as well. Not sure what speed they are limited to, I listen to Spotify music in the garage and it seems to cope fine. Don't do film streaming or anything like that.

I used to have hard wired, linked, mains powered smoke alarms in the house but had to change them for independent battery ones when I fitted a 3 phase inverter in the garage for my lathe and mill. Can only assume the inverter was pushing a very noisy signal back into the mains that the smoke alarm link wire picked up and the alarms saw it as a activation signal! (The smoke alarms were wired using 4 core stair lighting cable. The fourth core being used as the signal cable to activate all the alarms if one went off)

Craig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.