S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakdowns.  (Read 1867 times)

Growler

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6625
  • .:
Re: Breakdowns.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 09:34:47 PM »

Only once needed the big yellow taxi in 14 years Land Rover ownership. That was in the middle of the night coming out of Whitby and all the electrics decided to get very warm by getting on fire. The next most serious fault on the road was a broken half shaft but managed to get home under my own steam. No A.A. assistance needed on that one.

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7780
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 10:45:40 AM »

I once drove through what I thought was a puddle and turned out to be a massive deep pothole.  BANG! went my suspension, and *croak* went my engine.  No more go.

So I got out my flashlight and looked under the hood, and saw a wire hanging down mysteriously beneath the coil.  I pushed it onto the tab right above it, and she fired right up.

That's right, I banged the pothole so hard the primary lead fell off the coil.   :thud

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3118
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 07:31:13 PM »

Halfshaft went when driving up onto the shuttle on the way home, bus following was full of squadies Serge had half dozen volunteers pushing us down the train, red headed 21 year old daughter sat in the back may have had something to do with the willingness of the volunteers. Used a taxi to get us home rather than risk extraneous bits of metal flying around in the diff on the way back to Lincolnshire.
 Next time the alternator seized on the M25 should just have driven home (200TDi) rather than have the idiot who drove the taxi home. Given that the following year the replacement alternator failed and we spent two and a half weeks driving round France with a duff alternator and a French battery charger on the battery every night.
I pay for breakdown cover with the RAC with the Camping and Caravaning Club so use it.

Alec

kempus

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 2147
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 10:02:04 AM »

* Dizzy seized and sheared in half. 1 hr wait for recovery on a freezing Nov night, followed by another hour wait for a recovery truck to trailer me home.  Why do they never listen when you tell them it is terminal!
* Wouldn't start, recovery agent confessed to 100% fix rate of old land rovers, he couldn't fix it.  I diagnosed a faulty king lead the following morning...
* Fuelling issue, trailered home for a new fuel pump and pipes
* Bust a diff off-roading, it was quicker to remove prop and half shafts in freezing cold mud than wait 1 1/2 hours for recovery
* Fan belt snapped on the M40, thankfully I had enough cable ties to get me home, each repair would last about 15mins before snapping.

I think that's all...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 19 queries.