S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Home at last.  (Read 2514 times)

CarolB

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6879
  • .:
Home at last.
« on: June 20, 2021, 12:08:29 AM »

Hello Dolly. Welcome home after 21 years (don't ask!)   :-*
She was 10 years old when I got her in 1972 and in the 70's and 80's she was my only vehicle used for everything from towing the horse box to hay carting, shopping, school runs, expeditions and holidays. In the 80's she was used around the farm (no MOT) and at the end of the 1990's she disappeared into the depths of my friend's (mechanic) workshop to be taken apart and put back together again. Over time (!) she has been stripped down to the chassis - new rear end and springs needed - and everything else inspected, repairs done where necessary and reassembled so she's in a pretty original state. Drove her today for the first time and wow was she keen to go. Had to smile at the familiar rattles, noise and the tendency to waver a bit on the steering, plus of course the need to shout to have a conversation with my passenger! But as I fell out on returning home after an exhilarating half an hour I realised that as I enter my eighth decade next year, I am going to have to build up some muscle power again.
There are a few things I still need to do - wing mirrors, internal rear view mirror, sort out some of the gages that aren't working etc, so help on here will be gratefully received. Or if there are any members living within reach of the Brechfa forest in Wales who would care to visit for a 'poke around' they would be most welcome. Sorry for the long post, just so excited. Trying to post pics but not having much luck. 

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6928
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
Re: Home at last.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 02:04:30 AM »

Thanks for sharing your emotions.
It reminds me of my LR, 10 years ago I disassembled it to restore it, and slowly I reassemble it, piece by piece, it is a long task, but it is comforting every day that I am closer to finishing it ...

For me, publishing photos has also cost me, I suppose that I am more skilled arming LR than with the PC  :shakeinghead

Greetings.

Paul4978

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6908
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 08:33:54 AM »

Looks great. Well worth it, if it brings a smile to your face.

58paul

• Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 674
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 09:24:41 AM »

Nice story,  nice to see it has stayed with you,  must be like part of the family having had it that long  :-X

Glad to see you are enjoying it once again  :first

scottuh1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6230
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 04:25:34 PM »

Excellent! Thanks for sharing.  :first
1970 88" Petrol Hard Top - Undergoing Practical Rebuild.
Ex-pat Geordie living in Norfolk.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 05:36:43 PM »

I realised that as I enter my eighth decade next year, I am going to have to build up some muscle power again.

Isn't there a clutch-assist gizmo that can be attached to a Series (or is that just Defender?)

And I believe power steering can be fitted.

If so, that should take you to your 100th birthday! :-*
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Gareth

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6172
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 11:06:26 AM »

I hope I’ll be as keen to drive my Land Rovers when I’m nearing my 8th decade! I’ve made it halfway through my 5th and things are starting to creak, and work loose 😉

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 11:34:26 AM »

I hope I’ll be as keen to drive my Land Rovers when I’m nearing my 8th decade! I’ve made it halfway through my 5th and things are starting to creak, and work loose 😉

I'm not even halfway through my sixth decade and I'm falling apart already.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Wijendra

• Chassis welder
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »

Isn't there a clutch-assist gizmo that can be attached to a Series (or is that just Defender?)

And I believe power steering can be fitted.

If so, that should take you to your 100th birthday! :-*

Yes  it s a servo and provided by red booster,  http://www.redbooster.com/, however this would not fit a 6 cylinder vehicle as space is limited.

I am much younger but in the interest of saving my knee I have fitted a remote servo on the clutch on my 6 cylinder station wagon , works just as well

Growler

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6625
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 10:44:49 AM »

I'm 78 and love driving mine and I think that the upright seating actually helps with my painful back.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 05:21:17 PM »

Yes  it s a servo and provided by red booster,  http://www.redbooster.com/, however this would not fit a 6 cylinder vehicle as space is limited.

Thank you Wijendra.

Pain?

I just grin and swear it...... :shakeinghead.

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 06:06:09 PM »

Perhaps you’re thinking of the Defender over-centre clutch pedal.

CarolB

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6879
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 10:43:11 PM »

Thanks for your kind words my friends, much appreciated. I do agree with you Growler, the driving position is just perfect for aged bodies, I can now see over the steering wheel, whereas in my old Astra van I swear that either the seat is sinking or the steering wheel is rising as my view is getting a bit limited - the family say that it is me who is shrinking!
Interested in your ideas about power/assisted steering and clutch 'help' (left leg is my gammy one). Would they be expensive to do on a regular '62 88" regular petrol 2. whatsit engine?

Wijendra

• Chassis welder
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 11:12:40 PM »

Thanks for your kind words my friends, much appreciated. I do agree with you Growler, the driving position is just perfect for aged bodies, I can now see over the steering wheel, whereas in my old Astra van I swear that either the seat is sinking or the steering wheel is rising as my view is getting a bit limited - the family say that it is me who is shrinking!
Interested in your ideas about power/assisted steering and clutch 'help' (left leg is my gammy one). Would they be expensive to do on a regular '62 88" regular petrol 2. whatsit engine?

For the clutch the red booster kit is quite pricey, about £450, plus you will need to sort out a vacuum connection from the inlet manifold, or a separate electric vacuum pump,
I will post some pictures of my remote servo and electric vacuum pump set up,  should be doable for 70-80 with inlet vacuum connection,  add another 150 if going for the electric vacuum pump as mine or could be cheaper using other modern car vacuum pump such as Volvo Jaguar x type etc.

Power steering there are quite a few options I am sure other members can help you with, the one I have fitted is the Santana type from  heystee which is pricey

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 11:54:33 AM »

I fitted the Over Centre spring type Defender pedal to my FC2B , easy to do , straight swap of box & pedal assembly, and it did make holding the clutch down at junctions etc a lot easier . You still need the same push to depress  but the spring helps to hold it down.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.