S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MoT check - DVLA  (Read 3394 times)

gilbo

• Master of the oils
MoT check - DVLA
« on: July 18, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »

Evening all
Can anyone who has declared their Series MoT exempt (or whatever it is called) please tell me what it will/should say on the DVLA MoT check database?
I still continue to MoT mine so I have no idea what I would expect to see.
I don't want to open a big can here re the do's and don'ts - just want to know what i would expcet to see should i do so.
Thanks

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
Re: MoT check - DVLA
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 08:30:00 PM »

Here you go...

LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 08:38:47 PM »

On another day ... you'll see green  :cheers
Who's a then ?

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 09:10:09 PM »

Thanks both.
It was the red one I was referring to (the green one is the Tax check which also just happens to show MoT status). So neither actually say that it has been declared by the owner as 'historic' (Or whatever) and thereby not requiring (in law) a valid MoT test.
So a supplemantary question - how do the insurance companies actually determine a vehicle's true MoT status? The red output says the MoT has expired! -  which ordinarily would invalidate your insurance, I beleive? Although it does go on the say the vehicle may be exempt, but there is no obvious marker to say it has been declared as so.
Mmmm...more DVLA nonesense then?

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 09:46:35 PM »

The inference is that as it's taxed it must be insured and when it says "No Results Returned" it implies the vehicle is MoT exempt ???

Clear as mud.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 06:40:07 AM »

So a supplemantary question - how do the insurance companies actually determine a vehicle's true MoT status? The red output says the MoT has expired! -  which ordinarily would invalidate your insurance, I beleive?

Hi Gilbo,

Provided you have hold a valid driving licence, or,,have held a licence, and are not disqualified, then your insurers will find it very difficult to avoid liability for injury to a third party (which presumably includes mandatory cover for passengers).  This is covered in the Road Traffic Acts .... I think Para 143, but don't trust my memory on that.

I suspect that our Glorious Leaders do not want lots of injury claims being refused on technicalities.

I think RTA Para 143 covers insurance. Somewhere it says the insurers MUST pay Third Party claims, but gives them the right to sue their insured, to recover their losses. I have never heard of that happening.

You can also insure yourself by depositing £1,000,000 with the Attorney General. Barbara met this when an articulated pantechican, owned by a large chain of supermarkets, overtook on the inside, then pulled out, writing off her SAAB. The supermarket ignored all correspondence. Luckily, we had paid the extra £10 for Legal Cover. The supermarket settled on the court-house steps, which re-instated Barbara's full-NCD, and gave her a refund of the "First £1,000".  That £10 was well spent.

I do not know if once holding a provisional licence to ride a motorcycle counts as having held a licence.  I once held a full Malaysian bike licence, on the strength of my UK Moped entitlement. I would hate to have to prove to Their Worships that I HAD held a bike licence.

Similarly, I would hate to argue about driving a B+E vehicle, if I only held a B licence. At the very least, I would expect to be "done" for being un-accompanied, and no L-plates, but that might not obviate my insurance.

Barbara passed her driving test, January the First 1971, in South London, driving a bog-standard (but very rusty) Mini, that she drove for the first time the previous day. Her licence then restricted her to driving a MOTOR CAR or a MOTOR TRICYCLE, with NO provisional entitlement, so presumably the examiner didn't want her driving on two wheels. Over the years, her entitlement has increased with renewals, and she now has an unrestricted B+E
licence.  She has no plans to ride a two wheeler.

In my day, it was DVLA policy not to penalise the disabled more than absolutely necessary ... there were many bikers with one limb missing.

Back to DVLC's library ... I read an Appeal Court ruling that for insurance purposes, a Medical De-barment, was not a Disqualification. Only a criminal court can disqualify. You can appeal against a medical de-barment, which will probably lead to a special driving test ... I think less stringent than the ordinary test. Prior to the Thalidimide scandal, your disabilities would be spelled out in detail, on your driving licence.

I knew one Thalidimide victim ... she had both hands, but no arms. She usually drove a Mini, but also had a Land Rover to pull her horse-box trailer. She could fit a bridle and saddle to her horse, and mount, without assistance.

I also read that a four-wheeler can be driven on a bike licence, if only three wheels can touch the ground at any one time.

But please do your own research.

I read somewhere, many years ago, can't remember where (maybe DVLA's library in my lunch hour?) that Disqualification means by a CRIMINAL Court, and does not include Medical Debarment. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 08:22:37 AM »

The inference is that as it's taxed it must be insured and when it says "No Results Returned" it implies the vehicle is MoT exempt ???

Clear as mud.
Well, yes I suppose that just about sums it up!
However, I am not sure that when you tax the car the DVLA actually check for valid insurance - it all seems to happen too quick.

OK, final scenario.
What if you have an accident. No third party invovled.
For example you have fully comp insurance, you have declared your Sereis as MoT exempt (and it meets the requirements re modifications etc). You run off the road due to brake failure (as an example), cause considerable damage to your vehicle and make a claim. As the onus is on you to keep your vehicle 'roadworthy' (as indeed you have to even if it is not MoT exempt) I just wonder how the insurance companies are viewing these types of claims (maybe there haven't been any yet??) and what checks and balances they have in place to either agree to pay your claim or reject it?
Do they have the vehicle inspected?
OK, so just because you have a yearly MoT test it doesn't mean to say this failure would not occur but potentially any issues might be picked up on said test - of course it is incumbent upon you to check such things as (in the case of brakes) the fluid levels and if low, investigate the system for a leak, or if the steering doen't seem 'right' to check out why etc.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 09:04:42 AM »

This has been my argument all along with MOT exemption or the lack of any mandatory annual inspection here in the UK. I realise and appreciate that the stats prove that historic vehicles render very low on the accident ratings and this is substantiated by the average mileage of a classic car in the UK being less than 1500 miles per year. Equally an average classis car spend annually of around £4500. This fits well with real occasional use classic cars owned and run by enthusiasts who wish them to maintain them to a very high standard. Statistically, they probably are extremely safe and usable.

We enter into murky waters with elderly LRs in my view though. How many other classic cars are virtually all self built in garages throughout the country? How many other classic cars are used at off road events, green lane runs etc.? Are we potentially skewing the stats?

Its always been my concern with elderly LRs in particular, that many are definitely not as road worthy as they should be. I'd question how many enthusiasts and DIY repairers are adequately qualified to make an accurate judgment as to a vehicle's condition and safety. In my view, I think it should be mandatory for such vehicles to undergo some sort of annual safety inspection as a pre-requisite of gaining classic car insurance. I would not suggest a 21st century MOT as much of the test is irrelevant and in many cases the ignorance of the testers on how to handle and assess classic vehicles is palpable. I would suggest that its something that would be more appropriate to the age of the vehicle - in effect a 1960s / 1970s style MOT but done by a classic car workshop or perhaps a function of a classic car club membership. Its really something that should be a joined up plan with the insurance industry and the classic car club umbrella organisations.

I've recently had to deal with two series vehicles, recently purchased (with a "sales" MOT) that had dangerous brakes, steering issues and in once case, significant structural issues. In my mind, this proves that the current MOT isn't an effective solution for a safety inspection for classic cars. Given that many owners rely on an MOT to satisfy and prove to themselves that their vehicle is safe and roadworthy, this clearly is not the case.

I'm thinking basic safety checks:
Brakes
Steering
Electrics and Lighting
Excess smoke / visible emissions
Structure / corrosion
Suspension
Safety belts
Excess fluid leakage

September 1960 it all started, but perhaps the thinking is right and proper for our vehicles? Nobody wishes to overburden classic car owners with extra cost or legislation, but I think the writing is on the wall for us all if we continue as we are at the moment. It only takes one very serious accident for all sorts of questions to be asked.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/throwback-thursday-beginning-mot-tests-16-september-1960
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 09:23:37 AM »

I'm thinking basic safety checks:
Brakes
Steering
Electrics and Lighting
Excess smoke / visible emissions
Structure / corrosion
Suspension
Safety belts
Excess fluid leakage

September 1960 it all started, but perhaps the thinking is right and proper for our vehicles? Nobody wishes to overburden classic car owners with extra cost or legislation, but I think the writing is on the wall for us all if we continue as we are at the moment. It only takes one very serious accident for all sorts of questions to be asked.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/throwback-thursday-beginning-mot-tests-16-september-1960

Agreed.
That list was, what I recall from my mis-spent youth in the trade, the MoT test back then!! (Except for seat belts as lots of cars didn't have them back then!) and would seem to me to me the minimum to be applied to any vehicle that is going to use the Queen's highways.

BettyWhite

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7452
  • .:
  • Only fools think that they are wise
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 10:00:38 AM »

I have just recently taken my dismantled 1964 S11a off SORN and taxed it. I had been told that if the vehicle had been sorned (is that a word?) for over 20 yrs I could lose my reg number. This, I have since found out is total XXX but as it didn't cost me anything I did it anyway.

My vehicle is not insured, it is in pieces in numerous places and as far as I can see there is no legal requirement for me to insure it UNLESS it is used (or on) the public highway. Of course the risk of theft and 3rd party injury is entirely mine, but I am happy with that. From this experience I have found that taxing a vehicle does not mean that it is insured.

I have already arranged for my local garage to collect my vehicle on a transporter when I am happy that it is road worthy and they will carry out a full (age related) MOT/safety check. It may cost a bit, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I cannot believe that I can rebuild a 50+ yr old vehicle and put it back on the road without even a basic safety check, but it seems that I can. I understand that in France there is some sort of check carried out every 5 years (is this true?) perhaps this will be the way we will end up going.

Stay safe
BW
I've given so many people a piece of my mind over the years that I haven't got much left and my give a damn was busted years ago!

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 10:09:59 AM »

My vehicle is not insured, it is in pieces in numerous places and as far as I can see there is no legal requirement for me to insure it UNLESS it is used (or on) the public highway. Of course the risk of theft and 3rd party injury is entirely mine, but I am happy with that. From this experience I have found that taxing a vehicle does not mean that it is insured.

I thought the law had changed a few years ago, and now says your vehicle must be insured unless it has been declared SORN, even if it is kept off the public highway.
I think the only exception is if it has not been on the road since 1998.

I could be wrong, but worth checking out  :tiphat

Robin

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 10:12:06 AM »

Both of my Land Rovers show the green box on the DVLA vehicle check site.
I was pulling lumps of rusty chassis out the series one a few days ago.....

Craig.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 10:15:45 AM »

I thought the law had changed a few years ago, and now says your vehicle must be insured unless it has been declared SORN, even if it is kept off the public highway.

Robin

When I bought my series one I changed the tax class at the post office from PLG to historic. While there, the nice lady said, as it is MOT exempt would you like 12 months road tax on it too. I said yes please....

Few months later I get a letter saying you have a taxed vehicle that isn't insured and you need to insure it now, declare it SORN or risk losing the vehicle. Obviously I did the SORN thing as the vehicle is going nowhere until it has a major rebuild but did remind me that there is someone out there checking these things...

Craig.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 10:29:07 AM »

I would imagine that if you are making a claim on your policy your insurers will want to inspect the vehicle/wreckage ???

And inspector/engineer will know what to be looking for.
Overall, if the vehicle appears to have been well maintained hard(er) to wriggle out of not paying.
Some vehicles you see are poorly maintained - wrecks before the accident.

With insurance it comes down to statistics, down to numbers and the facts are at the moment that historic vehicles are a low risk.
They generally do low miles and are well looked after by (most) of their owners.

There would have to be a spate of well publicised accidents causing death and mayhem before the situation changes.

Anyone remember the spate of minibus accidents some years back ???
The result of that was restrictions on who could drive minibuses - driving tests and restrictions in passenger numbers.

And so it will be for classic cars.
Given the way things are going - restrictions on fuel, ever rising costs, banned from city/town centres the attraction of an every-day driver will disappear and our hobby will become parked up a side road.
The risk(s) will be lower.

:RHD

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »

Robin
Correct, if its taxed it must be insured. I changed my Rover car from PLG class to Historic which automatically taxed it, so promptly put on SORN as I had no Road Traffic acts insurance . Possible  £100 fine if not done so https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.