S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unobtanium - what parts?  (Read 3408 times)

williammac

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6158
  • .:
Re: Unobtanium - what parts?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2021, 11:52:27 AM »

Does anyone know what the difference is between a IIA gear-lever, 544827 and a series one gear-lever, 509884. They look pretty much the same thing?

I've got both somewhere - from memory the early ones have a slightly squared-off plain ball at the end while the later ones have the groove and o ring. Later still they have the thicker green bush thing.

gvo416j R.I.P.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2021, 12:16:10 PM »

I'm almost 100% sure that the Series 1 gear lever is shorter than the Series 2 / 2A one. In which dimension on the bends I don't know without a physical comparison.

I'm not 100% sure but I think there are at least 2 different S1 levers --- those as in Craggle's pic. and a much shorter one for the 80"

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 12:26:35 PM »

Our 55 S1, 58 S2 and 59 S2 all have the same shape of cranked gear lever (the one on our 51 S1 is very different) but they are different lengths.  I am not sure of the originality of the 58 but I do know the provenance of the 55 and the 59.  The 59 is the longest and can actually be quite awkward although is only about an inch longer.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 12:53:57 PM »

If there is a demand for new series II / IIA levers I could speak to Carl and Dale and see if they are interested in making replica ones. If it really is a matter of just the length being slightly different, they have already done the hard bit tooling up for the swivel ball and selector end. Making them slightly different length or crank angle should be an easy task for them?

Craig.

Sunny Jim

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 16
  • .:
  • I was born in Lode Lane so it's no wonder!
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 01:04:25 PM »

You can buy a generic Series 3 gear lever new that will work. If you wished, you could bend it to look like an original, and thread the top for the correct knob.

My older brother broke my gear lever in about 1981 and it was replaced with a new Series 3 one that is still there today.

Are we talking about parts that you can't get and for which there is no realistic alternative, or just having the exact replica original parts for the particular model year?

We are actually incredibly lucky that you can get something to replace or repair most of the parts of our vehicles, and keep them going!

Sunny Jim
Series 2 Club Member 16

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 03:34:05 PM »

The combined steering lock/ignition switch is in the Series 3 Optional Parts catalogue. The choke cable Is mounted on the lock. Pegasus supply a new choke cable with their recon assembly. I've not yet come across a Series 3 without the steering lock combination.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 04:21:25 PM »

The combined steering lock/ignition switch is in the Series 3 Optional Parts catalogue. The choke cable Is mounted on the lock. Pegasus supply a new choke cable with their recon assembly. I've not yet come across a Series 3 without the steering lock combination.
My first S3 , October  1971 didn't have a lock, agree whey were in the minority. I fitted one myself afterwards.

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 04:41:57 PM »

When I had a Series 3 109 sixpot (November 1973) I was told the ashtray was very rare. I don't smoke but I used it for little screws I found lying on the floor. So, you may not find ashtrays, is what I'm saying.

A friend here had a 1975 "Basic" 3-door sixpot 109 at the same time I had mine, and we ordered brake lines together from Automech. They informed us that there were 3 or 4 different brake configurations on the S3 sixpots and they needed precise information from us about the size of each fixing, to ensure it would fit. His fixings were indeed different from mine. Something to be aware of.

Luckily I didn't have to fix much on that S3.

Based on my 2A, though:

The carpets and floor mats, if you have a Station Wagon.

The brake drums, though S3 drums with 16mm studs are more commonly found than S2A drums with the smaller 9/16" stud holes.

You can rebuild a sixpot water pump easily, using a kit, which is ubiquitous. I've done two: mine and a spare.

The rear fuel tank issue on my 2A is irritating -- the replacement being a bit smaller than original and only compatible with the bayonet sender -- I'll have to put more effort into reviving my original tank.

The speedo cable is expensive and hard to find for 2A sixpots. I don't know if this supply is an issue with S3's (the cable is different, of course). I think there's a different part # for left- and righthand drive for S3, since the speedo is on the driver's side and RHD is a much longer route. Just get the longest you can find.

The propshafts can be hard to come by and costly.

Engine parts are available at John Wearing and other Rover suppliers. They cost more than 2.25L parts but less than parts for modern cars. There's no engine part, yet, that I haven't located, somehow.

Ah, yes, the exhaust manifold. Its weight in gold if you can find one.

If you have an 11AC alternator with the external regulator, I found that those were also used on Jaguars, so look for spares in that circle. My current alternator has a sticker on it that says it's for an E-type! You can get replacement diodes if yours blow. When my original bimetal voltage regulator failed, I got a solid state one at an autojumble that looks identical to the original on the outside. (from an early 70s Jaguar). Later Series 3's may have different alternators than the 2A and the early 3's?

I got a like-for-like britpart gearstick recently from paddock, exactly like the original (LHD) so at least for 2A's there's no problem, there.

If you're really in a desperate spot, let me know, I have a good spares stash and access to more, as sixpots were common, here. I'm not likely to ever need most of the things I've got, judging by how little I've driven in the last 3 years.

The shipping and customs from Switzerland could be enormous ... come for a visit sometime?

Well, that's a start anyway
Jeremy

2a_Lightweight

• Hub seal tester
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 08:48:11 PM »

If there is a demand for new series II / IIA levers I could speak to Carl and Dale and see if they are interested in making replica ones. If it really is a matter of just the length being slightly different, they have already done the hard bit tooling up for the swivel ball and selector end. Making them slightly different length or crank angle should be an easy task for them?

Craig.

Radford gear sticks may well be £10 aftermarket s3 gear sticks that are modified? (re-bent and thread cut)

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 09:52:20 PM »

Unless anyone knows differently the correct plugs for the wiper motors seem to be unobtainable except for occasionally turning up NOS.

Wijendra

• Chassis welder
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 11:07:21 PM »

The speedo cable is expensive and hard to find for 2A sixpots. I don't know if this supply is an issue with S3's (the cable is different, of course).

Rimmer Bros has the 2A six pot genuine cable for 44 plus vat, Craddocks have aftermarket for 36 plus VAT

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2021, 04:04:50 AM »

Do Blanchards stock it?

Peter

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2021, 07:50:05 AM »

Are we talking about parts that you can't get and for which there is no realistic alternative, or just having the exact replica original parts for the particular model year?

We are actually incredibly lucky that you can get something to replace or repair most of the parts of our vehicles, and keep them going!

Sunny Jim

I think this is a key point. There is a huge range between parts which are still being made and supplied as genuine at a low price through to parts where your only hope is to wait until one come up on a scrap vehicle. In between you have everything from NOS easily available but expensive, parts which LR dealers no longer have but can be found by a lateral approach, later parts which will do the job but are different, parts which are easily available aftermarket but substandard etc.

My general impression is that for most models you can buy anything needed to keep them on the road but for the models built in small numbers it can be very difficult to keep them to original specification.

Alec

Wijendra

• Chassis welder
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2021, 09:00:04 AM »

Do Blanchards stock it?

Peter

didn't come up when I looked for it in April this year,

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »

Radford gear sticks may well be £10 aftermarket s3 gear sticks that are modified? (re-bent and thread cut)

That is quite possible, hadn't thought of that.

Craig.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.