S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: What you did with your Series 2s in August ...  (Read 11633 times)

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
What you did with your Series 2s in August ...
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2021, 05:34:16 PM »

Fitted my refurbished (by Distributor Doctor) original, dated, Lucas 25D distributor last Friday.  Fitted a new set of plugs today, and went for a 60 mile round trip.

What a difference!  A correctly mapped and correct  dizzie, and the new, correctly gapped plugs meant she absolutely flew along.  Great pick-up from low revs too.

Got the PO's previously fitted Ducellier in a box - probably best place for it......

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2021, 06:06:38 PM »

Took mine on a blast 30 miles down the M66 and back to visit Chris Gregson's son Lee to celebrate Chris's birthday.

At one stage I managed to reach a heady 70mph shown on a gps speedo on the flat and this is a 2.25 diesel, there was lots of noise and some vibration and there was nothing left

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Paul4978

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6908
  • .:
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2021, 06:16:04 PM »

To work, petrol and short work trip at lunchtime. Home through the hills.
Good for my blood pressure.

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2021, 09:47:02 PM »

Discovered a new place to lubricate... through the small 1/4" plugs/bolts into the brake and clutch pedal shafts. My brake pedal is off and the clutch one is accessible while installed.
Dropped in a few drops of EP90 to loosen up the old grease, and then managed to inject some new grease using a syringe, thumb pressure, and the little plug/bolt as a small ram as it is done up. Eventually some satisfying squelches of appropriate stuff started oozing out the gaps at the end of the shaft.
Andrew

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2021, 10:43:21 PM »

Brake woes. Trying to renew all wheel cylinders, flexible hoses, do a master cylinder CB-to-CV conversion, and clean out my bean can. The Britpart "Brake Hose Set Series 2 and 3 (1960-79) UNF Braided DA2418S" I puchased contains hoses which basically aren't the right fitting at my cylinders and or the rear-axle T piece. Returning that for refund and now waiting for the correct new hoses and copper washers so I will be able to finish the job. I think I have all the other parts now, touch wood, unless I break something. The big pedal box gasket arrived today - the old one was in 4 pieces before I got the pedal box free. Quite pricey for a piece of rubber at >£10 including postage. I could probably have made one from a bit of old inner tube and a punch to make the holes.

To give myself some entertainment amongst the frustration of how long this is taking, I decided to strip my old CB master cylinder to see if any obvious clues appeared about why my brakes had been getting less and less effective. Its a bit scary what becomes visible once you remove the rubber dust cap. Rust at the end of the barrel where the main seal sat when "idle", a nice pile of gunge residing in the end cap, and a nice sharp shard of swarf that must have been in there ever since it was manufactured. This was wedged somewhere down near the recuperating seal and I think may have had something to do with my problems.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2021, 07:13:13 PM »

I made a vast amount of progress today. I fitted another S2C sticker to my windscreen seeing as the last one came adrift because I hadn't cleaned the screen properly.

Bearing in mind that I still have to: rebuild the RH footwell, repair the RH dumb iron, rebuild both axles, engine & gearbox, fit a rear cross member, overhaul the brakes, rebuild the steering, retrim the interior, fit new wheels and tyres, repair the wiring and paint the whole vehicle.

I call fitting a sticker progress...

If this vehicle is running before next year's Somerset meet, it will be a miracle!
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2021, 07:52:15 PM »

. Its a bit scary what becomes visible once you remove the rubber dust cap. Rust at the end of the barrel where the main seal sat when "idle", a nice pile of gunge residing in the end cap, and a nice sharp shard of swarf that must have been in there ever since it was manufactured. This was wedged somewhere down near the recuperating seal and I think may have had something to do with my problems.

That's very interesting, I had swarf in a brand new Genuine Girling CB master cylinder back in 1969 when I had a 1960 S2 2 litre diesel . It seems things have not improved. I had all the issues of bleeding, ended putting the front wheels on the 4 poster at work & lifted until the rear cross member was on the floor.  It did work first time. 

Paul4978

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6908
  • .:
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2021, 11:56:15 PM »

I haven't seen my eldest daughter for nearly 2 years.  They drove from Germany today, and after a cup of tea, one of the first things she wanted to do was drive the 2A. Took to it like an expert.  She had driven my Defender a lot in the past, but this is different. Chip off the old block :)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2021, 03:14:50 AM »

Hi,

Sorry, OT, but sweet.

Yesterday, driving the Freelander out of my front garden, into the road, i had to stop for a couple of minutes while a baby hedgehog stopped in the middle of the road, changed it's mind, turned round, and went back into the front garden of the house opposite.

It must be about 20 years since I last saw a hedgehog, and that was in Wales.

Should I cut access holes in my fences? How big?

Or would Wilkie (JRT) regard them as fair game?

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2021, 01:30:55 PM »

"Caution, Wide Load". Rather than drive up to the house and have to reverse 300m we agreed the delivery driver would drop the roof trusses (House extension) beside the Forestry road.

Tonka and the Ifor Williams to do the move onto site...

That just left 2x 12ft gates to negotiate...   The Trusses are 4.8m wide x 1.55m high.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2021, 05:02:29 PM »

First repairs after Ripon trip. Oil seal on stub axle failed, replaced with seal I had in stock (recommendation from this very forum - keep them in stock!), replacing the wrecked brake shoes.
Tim

Steifbear

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6831
  • .:
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2021, 12:48:09 AM »

Continued fitting my lifting roof. I’m onto sewing the canvas together.

Then it’s onto getting it looking nice, I have a hard deadline of Leafers so things are moving at a pace.

CliVE - 1965 - LWB - Series 2A - 200tdi - LT77 - P4x4 - PopTop - Camper.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2021, 06:30:00 AM »

Looking good Pete, cant go to leafers this year so I shall miss seeing it unfortunately.  Your camping will have to be much more civilised with the new baby!!

I replaced the spring bush that I knocked out at the rally and I have vowed to sort out properly the bits of tube I need to make the job easy.  If it rains today i shall be in the garage doing just that.

Peter

Steve88

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 7710
  • .:
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2021, 11:16:13 PM »

Continued fitting my lifting roof. I’m onto sewing the canvas together.

Then it’s onto getting it looking nice, I have a hard deadline of Leafers so things are moving at a pace.

That looks fantastic. Is it a home brewed design? I came across the X-Panda camper conversion the other week and it got me thinking. I thought making it water tight would be a challenge though.

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2021, 03:43:33 PM »

The saga of the ticking fuel pump has been resumed. Took the original spacer and gaskets out, measured at 10.7mm thick. Replaced with the milled spacer and no gaskets - 9.1mm thick. A brief try indicates a reduction in noise. A test run to prove whether it has worked now needed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 18 queries.