S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another ''Series 2'' on a 90 Chassis...  (Read 4595 times)

jonhutchings

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
Re: Another ''Series 2'' on a 90 Chassis...
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2021, 04:09:38 PM »

And for Series Ones, the “Ultra” narrow minded, *#”:*#% nit picking, rivet counting Series One forum before you buy a Series One, obviously said with tongue firmly in cheek. However, when selling my very original 1948 model year 80in some 10 years ago one guy who came to view it couldn’t get past the fact that I had fitted a Boyer Bransden electronic control module the size of a large match box which made it start and run much better. He made such an issue of it that I wouldn’t have sold it to him even if he had offered more than the advertised price.

hahaha - I'd have seen that as a plus point, have one fitted to my 1953" 80 for years now, and another one on the shelf to go on the 1950 80" when I've rebuilt it :) 

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 05:26:16 PM »

Have to say, as a member of the LRSOC for 40 years and counting, I don't go on their forum much these days, because of certain attitudes (which I won't mention).

Hence my username.....

"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »

Have to say, as a member of the LRSOC for 40 years and counting, I don't go on their forum much these days, because of certain attitudes (which I won't mention).

Hence my username.....

spealing as another LRSOC member, your so right :shakeinghead

but there are some normal people there as well

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2021, 06:28:02 PM »

Hence my username.....

Ditto at 42 years and Ahmen to that.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2021, 07:00:26 PM »

I'm also a LRSOC member. Don't get nearly as much out of the club and forum as I do from this club... I therefore don't put as much in. Its a real pity because I love Series Ones as well and whenever I meet other LRSOC members, they are a thoroughly decent lot - it just seems that online, its not that friendly - certainly not as friendly as this site and forum.

Lets enjoy what we have and keep this club open and friendly. In my view, being a rivet counter is fine provided that person or poster understands and appreciates that we aren't all that obsessive for originality.

Now... Does anybody have a new old stock rotor arm for a 1965 2.25 88" Station Wagon? It must be in its original box with the correct batch code and  manufacturing date to match the factory production date of my vehicle which is February 9th 1965... :neener :thud
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2021, 07:23:18 PM »

The MG Owners Club forum is like that too. It's not very well monitored so I gave it up. This forum and the Series 3 one  are friendly and well monitored.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2021, 08:59:42 AM »

To be fair and try to add a little bit of balance despite my previous tongue in cheek comment, the LRSOC forum does have some very decent and helpful folks however it does seem to have been taken over by a number of opinionated keyboard warriors and as such a lot of the regular (helpful) contributors don’t seem to look in nowadays which is a shame.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2021, 09:32:24 AM »

That is my feeling to John

Although I am not a LRSOC member my nephew Adam is but he is not a member of the S2 club.  I wish that the LRSOC forumites would show me the courtesy that the S2 contingebt show Adam on the odd times he appears on here or turns up at meets.

I have had the same problem when going to their shows at the NEC even though some of those on the stand who know me and speak those who dont treat me like a leper once they know I am from the S2 club.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2021, 12:44:58 PM »

^^^^ While I realise they probably enjoy driving their prototypes about, they really should show more respect to the absolute pinnacle of Landrover engineering, the Series 2 and 2A.  We all know that was when they reached perfection, with the long slow decline to the Evoke starting when they introduced plastic dashboards in the S3...

:-X
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Rory

• Hub seal tester
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2021, 03:58:33 PM »

And for Series Ones, the “Ultra” narrow minded, *#”:*#% nit picking, rivet counting Series One forum before you buy a Series One, obviously said with tongue firmly in cheek. However, when selling my very original 1948 model year 80in some 10 years ago one guy who came to view it couldn’t get past the fact that I had fitted a Boyer Bransden electronic control module the size of a large match box which made it start and run much better. He made such an issue of it that I wouldn’t have sold it to him even if he had offered more than the advertised price.

When I took my S1, 109 to my first club display I soon realised that some of these people I don’t want to be around!

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2021, 04:03:14 PM »

^^^^ While I realise they probably enjoy driving their prototypes about, they really should show more respect to the absolute pinnacle of Landrover engineering, the Series 2 and 2A.  We all know that was when they reached perfection, with the long slow decline to the Evoke starting when they introduced plastic dashboards in the S3...

Hear, hear!

I've ran across several online articles wherein they make the same, basic statement: "the Land Rover Series II and IIa is the quintessential expedition/safari vehicle".  I've also ran across the following statement, more than once, in regard to advertising, "to evoke a certain sense of adventure the early Land Rover Series IIa station wagon is the go-to vehicle". 
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2021, 06:25:16 PM »

Hi,

To quote somebody (I don't know who) ... "Most men can endure adversity - its when they have authority that you learn their true character".

If I drag a mundane, of no particular interest, heap of scrap, out of the brambles, and convert it into somebody else's idea of a mechanical abortion .... it's nobody's business but mine ... provided it is not obscene, nor dangerous.

There is something in my memory banks, about Type Approval being introduced to protect the British (then European) motor industry from cheap Third World imports. The Radically Altered Vehicle legislation was tacked onto that legislation, but I have no recollection what consultation took place with Joe Public.

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »

Oh Eck, my other half has an Evoke and I have an early V8 Ninety with a plastic dashboard, we are doomed Mr Mannering ;-)

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2021, 10:24:21 PM »

Oh Eck, my other half has an Evoke and I have an early V8 Ninety with a plastic dashboard, we are doomed Mr Mannering ;-)

Don't fret John, the long slow decline to the new "Pretender" was temporarily halted when the early One Tens and Ninetys were introduced.

The decline resumed later.....

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2021, 01:03:57 PM »

Don't fret John, the long slow decline to the new "Pretender" was temporarily halted when the early One Tens and Ninetys were introduced.

The decline resumed later.....

Phew, the voice of reason  :cheers
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.