S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Think the birds have got their own back!!!  (Read 1838 times)

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
Re: Think the birds have got their own back!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 08:01:34 PM »

I agree will the above and said it may years ago, the power of the sea will always be with us and tides predicted for centuries so could be harnessed in both directions, also fast flowing rivers must be a very easy source to harness with the technology we have today  ??? the powers that be could even say after the floods hit again at least we had 10% rise in electricity generation because of the increase in water flow so we can sell the additional power generated and give the proceeds to the flood victims  :bright-idea like that would ever happen!!!

Never argue with an idiot! They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:

Malcolm R

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6730
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2021, 10:32:20 PM »

For me the most worthwhile investment path is in nuclear fusion. Although it's still not certain if it can work (I think), it's got a lot of potential and I would happily have a lot of money spent to try and figure it out
1963 SWB 2.25L petrol

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 10:42:48 PM »

For me the most worthwhile investment path is in nuclear fusion. Although it's still not certain if it can work (I think), it's got a lot of potential and I would happily have a lot of money spent to try and figure it out

When I was a teenage nuclear fusion was 20 years away, I am now in my 50s and it is still 20 years away.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2021, 11:52:07 PM »

This is the future of nuclear
https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/our-stories/innovation/2017/smr.aspx#overview

All bar 2 of the UKs existing nuclear reactors are approaching "end of life" and I'll be driving past a number of small Royal Navy nuclear reactors on Saturday morning, just across the river from Edinburgh. They've been there a long time and there appears to be no plan at all for disposing of them. There are another bunch quietly rusting away at Devonport, with Plymouth next door. I'm pretty sure we should sort out how to dispose of these things safely first. In the 1980s they seriously suggested just sinking them off Skye. "Seabed Storage" it was called...

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/nuclear-graveyard-just-five-miles-19118105

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

richardhula

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5660
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 01:38:43 AM »

I watched a programme many many years ago which ran a competition to evaluate the best method of harvesting wave power and the upshot was that the reciprocal nature of wave motion combined with the amount of stone and debris that gets chucked around meant it is difficult to build a mechanism strong enough to withstand the pounding that it would get. I also remember something about an underwater water mill in the mouth of Strangford Loch, I’m not sure whether that was ever built or not but the complaints about it mainly revolved (sic) around the damage that would be inflicted on the passing wildlife.

Back in the 70's I worked on a TV programme covering a hydro electric power station in Scotland. One of their most labour intensive maintenance jobs was cleaning the finest of the weed screens there to protect fledgling salmon from entering the turbines. They experimented working without this level of screening altogether whilst monitoring salmon population downstream. They found near zero impact, just some very dizzy salmon maybe  :whistle
Regards - Richard
1966 build S2A(c) 88" 12J hybrid diesel

This nowt wrong wi'owt wot mitherin clutterbucks don't barley grummit!

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 09:06:16 AM »

^^^^ Interesting, Torness power station, which uses sea water for cooling, has been closed down a number of times ( and I mean for weeks...) when the intakes were clogged by seaweed and on another by masses of jelly-fish.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.