S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Door mirrors  (Read 1174 times)

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6272
  • .:
Door mirrors
« on: February 15, 2023, 05:56:18 PM »

I need to purchase a pair of door mirrors to fit on the top door hinge. I do have a pair converted by Robin.

Is there a mirror out there that is convex and that will fold back when the Landy is in the garage?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Re: Door mirrors
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 07:32:15 PM »

Do the hinges take Defender mirrors?
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

gcc130

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 08:00:55 PM »

Do the hinges take Defender mirrors?
No, these are series 11 hinges.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 08:05:27 PM »

Spafax make commercial vehicle mirrors. They're based in Basingstoke, might be worth a call.

Dormy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6632
  • .:
  • Sleeping on the job....Zzzzzz
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 09:46:58 PM »

Convex mirrors are available that will fit the type of arm that goes on the hinges Robin has made/converted for you. The problem is it is the arm, not the mirror, which needs to fold if you have a narrow garage.

The hinge mounts you will have got from Robin use a bolt through support for the arm and if you adjust the tension of the lock-nuts so they can be folded back with a push, they will probably fold back due to wind pressure as you are driving !

Experimentation will be the key. You might find a tension of the lock-nuts that will let you fold them with a push, but will hold against wind pressure when driving. After a while, you will probably need to readjust the tension again as the arms will start to fold in once more under wind pressure.

There are brackets available which fit under the S2 hinges and take the later S3 arms. The S3 arms have a spring-mount base and will do what you are looking for. IIRC the brackets were a L/R original part and pattern copies are available: -

auction: #325210848924

HTH
Dormy

On the road: - 66 109 Dormobile
Work in progress: - SWB Truck x2 & LWB 3/4 ton GS

genocache

• .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 12:02:22 AM »

After 50 years of driving Landies, I got some Defender door mirrors last summer. The best!  :first Great view up and down the side and out to see in the blind spot. Until now I could never get a good view of the offside(LHD).

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6272
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 08:06:29 AM »

I like the sound of the brackets that will hold the series 3 mirrors. Don't want to pay the £30 delivery cost on the ones of ebay. Does anybody know if there available from a uk company or the patterned ones.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 09:03:48 AM »

Craddocks and Blanchard have it listed

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 09:14:13 AM »

I use the mirror arms and convex rectangular mirrors from Paddocks, and rely on friction, washers and locking nuts, like Dormy suggests.

As Dormy says, you do have to adjust the tension occasionally - more so if you were moving them every time you drove in/out of the garage.

I now use fibre washers with plain washers and locking nuts which seem to be better, though I have considered trying some double-coil spring washers between plain washers.
auction: #143790250812
I might buy a few and experiment  :cheers

There was a company still selling 'proper' swing back mirrors which mounted in a hole some years ago for classic cars - I've forgotten the name though, and don't know if they did convex.

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 09:28:39 AM »

Convex mirrors are available that will fit the type of arm that goes on the hinges Robin has made/converted for you. The problem is it is the arm, not the mirror, which needs to fold if you have a narrow garage.

The hinge mounts you will have got from Robin use a bolt through support for the arm and if you adjust the tension of the lock-nuts so they can be folded back with a push, they will probably fold back due to wind pressure as you are driving !

Experimentation will be the key. You might find a tension of the lock-nuts that will let you fold them with a push, but will hold against wind pressure when driving. After a while, you will probably need to readjust the tension again as the arms will start to fold in once more under wind pressure.

I have home made versions of these brackets with the correct arms on my land rover

Peter

There are brackets available which fit under the S2 hinges and take the later S3 arms. The S3 arms have a spring-mount base and will do what you are looking for. IIRC the brackets were a L/R original part and pattern copies are available: -

HTH
Dormy
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 10:49:20 AM »

I put mine onto cut down Series3 hinges. The photos show it better than I can explain. So far no problems, they spring back correctly and can be moved when green laneing to protect them from getting ripped off, usually.

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 10:55:11 AM »

I did have the modified hinges fitted but the issue was getting in and out of the garage, leaving them loose to turn meant that when driving they could swing in which was no good.

So I decided to change over to Defender mirrors along with the hinge, at the time of doing this Exmoor had just brought out their new anodised heavy duty hinges which are very sturdy and look ok if left black. I still have the original hinges which are fitted with the wing mirrors should I decide I want to put them back on.

Just a lot more practical for me as the amount of times I knock them when walking past George in the garage is embarrassing.   :thud

Rob.

gvo416j R.I.P.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 01:37:38 PM »

HTH
Dormy

Just a quick heads up ;-

The defender style mirror arms/mirrors DO NOT FIT the mirror bracket shown because the bolt spacings for the mirror are different.

The bracket shown was for the first generation "boomerang" style mirror arm for the S3 which still had the bolt on convex mirror as fitted to the S2 wing mount.

There is a second generation style "boomerang" mirror arm with different bolt spacings which are the same as the Britax defender style mirror arms, and fit the drilled holes in a S3/defender "mirror" hinge. This is a pair I have on ebay at present. auction: #155407514965

The Britax mirrors were actually fitted to late S3 models [3rd gen.].

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 02:29:37 PM »

My Triumph has original folding wing mirrors. The arm pivots at the bracket end witha spring-loaded 4-sided ball and socket, so it will swing and lock in any of 4 different positions. It bolts through the wing, but could just as easily bolt to the modified hinge bracket.

Mine has an unsuitable rather elaborate chromed fixing plate, but plain ones were made too and could be painted black.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394460101244?hash=item5bd7a77a7c%3Ag%3A5S4AAOSwGu5j6UP4&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338464579&customid=AD_R_KEYWORD_desmo%2Bmirror&toolid=10049

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 03:42:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.