S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TIG Welder question  (Read 1469 times)

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
TIG Welder question
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:00:43 PM »

Bit off topic perhaps...

I have a Lincoln electric Invertec V180 TIG welder and the matching RCI-F pedal control. This was all purchased by a company I used to work at around 1996 - 1997
I haven't really used the welder much and pretty much left the settings alone as it seemed to work but I'd like to get into using it a bit more and learning what the various settings do.
I have the manual for the welder so pretty happy with that but I don't have any paperwork for the foot pedal.

On the back of the foot pedal is a dial that goes from 0 - 180 and looks just like the power dial on the front of the welder itself. I was under the impression that when the pedal was plugged in the power dial became redundant as it's based on how heavy your foot is. If that is the case, why would there be another dial on the pedal, does that limit the power to whatever it is set at and therefore override the dial on the machine itself?

Craig.

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4871
  • .:
  • forumite formerly known as suffixb
    • rustylandrovers
Re: TIG Welder question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 05:45:02 PM »

On mine it changes the current at max pedal depression, imagine it's similar for your machine.
pictures, and words

2a_Lightweight

• Hub seal tester
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 05:48:22 PM »

I have an ESAB TIG and when the pedal is connected, the dial on the machine will set your absolute power and the dial on the pedal sets the percentage of absolute power the pedal will operate.

This once threw me as I used a different ESAB TIG a few years ago with identical pedal to mine however that pedal override the machines dial altogether. So for Landrover body panels I would set mine to 50amps on the machine and 100% on the footpedal, giving me a max of 50amps, however when I did this on the other machine it put 250amps out and blew the panel straight through!

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 06:09:27 PM »

I have an ESAB TIG and when the pedal is connected, the dial on the machine will set your absolute power and the dial on the pedal sets the percentage of absolute power the pedal will operate.

This once threw me as I used a different ESAB TIG a few years ago with identical pedal to mine however that pedal override the machines dial altogether. So for Landrover body panels I would set mine to 50amps on the machine and 100% on the footpedal, giving me a max of 50amps, however when I did this on the other machine it put 250amps out and blew the panel straight through!

The fact that both the pedal and the machine have readings across the same range does suggest that the pedal overrides the machine as per the second machine described above. This is far less convenient - you really want to cap the current on the machine slightly higher than the peak current you think you will need and then use the foot pedal to control within that range as it gives the maximum sensitivity over the range and stops you blowing holes when your foot slips!

Alec

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
    • rustylandrovers
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 07:24:05 PM »

The fact that both the pedal and the machine have readings across the same range does suggest that the pedal overrides the machine as per the second machine described above. This is far less convenient

Alec

The end result is the same with either type though - either you set the max current on the pedal, or you set it on the welder and then further restrict it on the pdeal. Either way you get full pedal travel, with power at full travel equal to whatever you set the pedal to. So the 'resolution' if you want is the same.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 08:23:56 PM »

The end result is the same with either type though - either you set the max current on the pedal, or you set it on the welder and then further restrict it on the pdeal. Either way you get full pedal travel, with power at full travel equal to whatever you set the pedal to. So the 'resolution' if you want is the same.

Yes, you are right, the resolution will be the same. I would still prefer to have the adjustment on the machine though - much easier to reach!

Alec

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 10:59:02 AM »

Thanks all

I will have to have a play with the dials and get a feel of what they do but what you say makes sense. Guess I can practice on some scrap and see if the machine dial gets overridden by the pedal dial by turning it right down then right up again.

Looking forward to getting it running again now. All I need to do is add another circuit in my workshop with a 32A plug on it and a separate circuit breaker. It is a 240V machine but blows 13amp fuses quite easily if plugged into a normal socket. Instructions do say it can draw 30amps at max load so not surprising I guess!

I have the hefty cable, breaker and sockets to do the job, just need to get out there and make a start!

Cheers

Craig.

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
    • rustylandrovers
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 11:48:20 AM »

Reminds me of a plasma cutter I bought from a farmer. It was on a 13A plug. When I removed this to fit a proper 32A one I found a piece of steel bar (blued from the heat) in place of a fuse  :agh
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.