S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT to most (I hope)  (Read 1487 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
OT to most (I hope)
« on: January 23, 2021, 06:00:59 AM »

Hi,

I am now officially Type 2 DIABETIC, and have to take/do some sort of daily blood test. Apart from that, I'm told, I'm stupidly healthy. (Some months ago I argued with a Quack, saying that my heat beat was too fast at 70BPM, when it used to be 60BPM. He assured my I was OK).

Whatever, if anyone can offer any advice about DVLA's attitude to this, I'd be grateful. Are there any forums?

Barbara is having similar problems. The social worker, dealing with the ramp outside the front door, insists Barbara needs a disabled driving licence. Doh!  If the car has conventional controls, Barbara can drive it... provided she can clamber into the driving seat. She would have problems driving a left-hand drive car.

Time to "grid our lions".

Paul4978

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6908
  • .:
Re: OT to most (I hope)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 09:23:22 AM »

PM sent

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 11:22:55 AM »

Hi,

I am now officially Type 2 DIABETIC, and have to take/do some sort of daily blood test. Apart from that, I'm told, I'm stupidly healthy. (Some months ago I argued with a Quack, saying that my heat beat was too fast at 70BPM, when it used to be 60BPM. He assured my I was OK).

Whatever, if anyone can offer any advice about DVLA's attitude to this, I'd be grateful. Are there any forums?

Barbara is having similar problems. The social worker, dealing with the ramp outside the front door, insists Barbara needs a disabled driving licence. Doh!  If the car has conventional controls, Barbara can drive it... provided she can clamber into the driving seat. She would have problems driving a left-hand drive car.

Time to "grid our lions".

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:49:19 AM »

Its not that bad...

I was diagnosed with it 4 years ago. Blood sugar way out of whack ( Mine was North of 20, should be about 5, over 10 is Diabetic) ), poor diet, lots of snacks, 10Kg overweight, stressed, family history of it. I was put on tablets and the daily blood test... hated the tablets, decided to do something about it...

I lost that 10Kg in weight with a short-sharp diet, reduced the amount of sugar I eat, ditto "carbs" that easily convert to sugar, I can keep my blood sugar below 10 fairly easily, once in a while it reaches 12 and I have to be a bit stricter with myself. I've not stopped eating anything, I'm just more careful. More green veg, more beans & pulses, fewer spuds, pasta and rice, 1 bit of toast with my egg, not 4 slices with dollops of marmalade... Chips as a treat, not twice a day... Took 3-4 months after I started looking after my food and I no longer take any medication, though I keep the tablets in case I overdo it - Christmas saw a blip, took the tablets for a few days till it all levelled out again :-). (I can tell when its out of whack, I get very thirsty as the body tries to flush excess sugar out.) I use the monitor maybe once a month, the Doc himself told me not to be obsessive about it after I'd got things back under control.     

Driving - You have to inform DVLA if your Vet has told you to. Generally only applies to serious cases, like people needing insulin injections or at risk of "Hypo" - very low blood sugar. I had two of them - caused by the tablets being too strong. Had to stop and eat a Mars bar to get some sugar back into me - the reason I decided to do something about it...

Nearly 4 million people in the UK have a Type 2 diabetes diagnosis.

This would be nice to see, 7 or 8 is not the end of the world...

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 08:41:26 PM »

Hi Gene,

There has been NO sugar in the house for about a year. I have "own brand" yogurt on my meusli (sp?) and a small tumbler of "own brand" orange squash in the evening, with my meal. I have a can of lager occasionally.

I used to be 5ft 10ins, but don't know what I weigh now. I have difficulty "pinching a inch". anywhere.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 12:34:38 PM »

^^^ Good work !   The other big source of sugar is "Carbs" - Spuds, Rice, Bread.. cut back on them, more beans and pulses instead ? As I said, with a bit of work it is possible to control Type 2 Diabetes with diet, and without making food a tasteless chore. Last nights dinner, Grilled steak, big salad, a small helping of garlic roast potatoes.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 08:00:23 AM »

Hi,

Update ...

Finger tips are sore, I need multiple attempts to hit blood. I only try twice a day ... always 5.8 or 7.1 ... only one of each reading per day. I'm wondering if the "reader" thingy is guessing.

I plan to take before and after readings for brekky, mid-day and evening meals, on Sunday.

I think I have already mentioned that I ran foul of the "Diabetic Nurse", when I kept having "funny turns". I suggested "denture tablets" may be the cause (reputed to be akin to HARPIC toilet cleaner) The nurse didn't think so.

But when I mentioned that idea to Barbara, she "done a Google", didn't like what she found, and thenceforth relegated me to one tooth tablet per week, and 50/50 water and cheap vinegar, for the other 6 days.

No more funny turns.  ???

PS .. I wonder if Harpic removes grotty grease from car parts? I have, from time to time, boiled greasy engine parts in straight washing SODA (not caustic), and found they come out very clean, and not even the slightest bit greasy ... feel like the finest possible "wet and dry" paper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.