S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moldex face mask info.  (Read 2081 times)

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
Moldex face mask info.
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:48:41 AM »

I have. A moldex face mask with a paint , abec filtering for spraying weldingetc.
It also has p3 dust prefilters.

Has anyone looked at if the filters are adequate for virus protection?

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
Re: Moldex face mask info.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 12:27:28 PM »

I would think it would be well in excess of what would work, chemist staff for instance are wearing simple cloth masks and I'd imagine these have been recommended ..

Kernowcam

• .:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 01:47:56 PM »

I did call a uk safety supplier who reckon a p3 dust filter Is what's needed, but don't assume or take that as gospel!

JonA

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4778
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 03:04:34 PM »

the p3 level filter is what is being used (or would if they had any/enough) by those on the 'front line' in hospitals.
Indeed it was the recommended level of protection untill the gov realised they didn't have enough and dropped the guidance to a splash proof surgical mask (which they also don't have enough of) unless working in direct aerosol risk.

Don't forget to shave ....

Your biggest problem will be in handling the PPE when you come to take it off post exposure and the risk of contaminating the inside, your hands etc ........ and transfering onwards.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 03:38:49 PM »

This of course is all dependent on your actual role and what you're doing, what you're exposed to.. obviously if you're in a "front line" role as opposed to nipping down the road, then you'll be wanting a different level of protection.

JPH

• Chassis welder
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 11:34:30 PM »

Supermarkets are my biggest concern............   with everything else pretty much closed up, thats the one place that almost everyone is going to need to go, at least once a week!     

Mask and gloves are a necessity , in my opinion.     Along with a plastic bag in the car to put them in after unloading your trolley and wipes for car door handle and keys.

Stay safe and well people.  :cheers

Tigerstripes

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6115
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 09:53:37 PM »

Make sure you wash your hand regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use alcohol hand sanitiser. important DO NOT touch your face with out washing OR Sanitising your hands first.

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 12:39:28 PM »

With these moldex types of masks in short supply, could they be reused after say 14 days, or even longer. (Supermarket visits only of course)
My masks are Drager.
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 02:14:30 PM »

...probably need to get some definitive information about how long the virus will last on the filter material and rubber to know when the masks are safe from the virus again...I would imagine the rubber may be able to be sanitised...not sure about the filter

Kernowcam

• .:
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 07:44:33 PM »

Mr tidy./ grandadrob Useful thoughts.
My local farm supplies shop, Cornwall farmers went bust a few months ago and the new lot sold off loads of stock as it was not what they normally sell.
I bought 3 sets of moldex filter packs and dust filters for peanuts.. then recently thy had the p3 filters for £4 a pack.

Not something to dabble with but I guess. Quarentine 14 days on filter with poss a alcohol spray before may work? I did wonder if a pre filter of throw away cloth or wife's round cotton face pad things may help?

Also contemplating if to have a go at making simple face masks for donation to NHS? / care workers. It's possible. Tight weave cotton, designs on net. Just a thought.
Currently not going in as our local farm shops are delivering and doing a wonderful job.

DeezleWeezle

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 2880
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 09:04:30 PM »

Just be careful where you get any replacement pre-filters from. Some come from Italy, and I can think of a lot of places I'd rather get them from right now.

Scimike

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1579
  • Oh no, not again
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »

Re virus protection, assuming it will work:
Face masks can make things worse if you are not use to them. They can premote the need to touch your face, a quick adjustment, not comfortable etc. In that moment you have transferred the germs off your hands to the face mask, and eventually your face. It's an involuntary action for most, you won't realise your are doing it. Next time you are in a supermarket watch the people with masks on, someone will do it.
If you want to use a mask you should wash your hands before and after any reason you need to touch it. If you don't you are potential making things worse.
If you want to use one, try not to touch it. :first
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.