S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Visit to the Doctors  (Read 3600 times)

DavidD

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 2845
  • .:
Visit to the Doctors
« on: April 29, 2020, 10:16:18 AM »

Hi, You might enjoy this. I drive a 1959 Series 2 station wagon. I had to phone my local surgery to arrange a doctors appointment for a blood test and a young lady receptionist suggested I drive through an alley to park in the surgery car park for the test. I replied that I doubted I could get under the archway into the car park and, after a break for her to take advice, she responded asking whether this was a Land Rover Discovery or a "proper working Land Rover"? I have nothing against Discoveries but her words seemed a very appropriate description.
DavidD

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Visit to the Doctors
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 10:38:25 AM »

.... and ....

:Dr

... what we all want to know ...

Did it fit under the archway ???
Who's a then ?

DavidD

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 2845
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 11:40:40 AM »

No - it has a roof rack on top as well - but a Disco would have.
DD

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6599
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 11:49:16 AM »

I dont think it really made any difference if it did or didn't main thing was the young ladies description dont you think.  ??? ;) 

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 05:20:07 PM »

At least you can get an appointment at your doctors. My wife can’t get her Vitamin B 12 injection because they say she is a vulnerable person !

Simon K.

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2721
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 05:26:19 PM »

Our niece received her vitamin B12 injection administered by a nurse in the car in a segregated part of the surgery car park, so she didn't actually have to enter the building.

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 11:03:30 PM »

That’s interesting I was wondering what was happening about vitb12....I managed to get in a day before lock down but time is marching on.....I’ll put the damn thing in myself if necessary

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 07:09:25 PM »

I think she was flirting!

Do you live in a rural area? We moved to one 10 years ago from Zurich. On the one hand, the level of education here is much lower, associated capabilities (reading?! speaking intelligibly?!) a bit different. On the other hand, the people are generally much more practical and, of course, knowledgeable about farm equipment, cows, the weather and so on. And much less rushed!

I wonder, is a Series 2A Dormobile a "proper working Land Rover"? It definitely isn't an urban SUV. My urban friends are afraid to get in, for fear of staining their clothing or getting "cut" by something. (Yes someone said that to me!). But it also doesn't do much real work, by anyone's definition, rural or urbanite.

Jeremy

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 10:54:58 AM »

That’s interesting I was wondering what was happening about vitb12....I managed to get in a day before lock down but time is marching on.....I’ll put the damn thing in myself if necessary

I’ve looked into doing it myself , I already administer a weekly injection to my wife with the doctors knowledge and approval but they said B12 has to done by a medic. Can’t see why really , it’s almost the same process apart from filling the syringe from a little phial .

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 04:28:11 PM »

I’ve looked into doing it myself , I already administer a weekly injection to my wife with the doctors knowledge and approval but they said B12 has to done by a medic. Can’t see why really , it’s almost the same process apart from filling the syringe from a little phial .

I agree can't see why one can't do it oneself...when there was a chance I might go on operations with the TA the nurse said she'd arrange for me to do it myself. If they kick up a fuss I think I know of a source from Germany and I probably will have a go..hope it won't come that though...buying meds off the inter web...not sure the Wife will administer it for me....she won't even clipper my hair!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 07:56:01 PM »

... she won't even clipper my hair ...

Hi,

December 6th, 1956, I looked over my shoulder... probably doing 30mph on my bicycle at the time. When I looked back, I became aware that the road had narrowed, and a lampost (unlit) was "imminent". I have no recollection of the actual collision, but when I came to, my knees were touching, my ankles were about 6" apart ... mainly due to swelling of my left knee.

Fractured lower epithinis (sp?) of my left femur. The nice sister in Lloyd Ward, Croydon General , did the honours with a cut-throat razor, and  I woke up with plaster from big toe to mid-thigh. About a week later, that was extended up as far as my ribs. That required my to lie across the bed, with my bum on a basin, naked from the ribs down, while they wrapped bandages and plaster up from my thigh, to my ribs ... with every student nurse popping in for a shufti.   :-[  Call it a Rite of Passage!

I spent that Christmas in hospital ... taking full advantage of the mistletoe.

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 08:00:44 PM »

... she won't even clipper my hair ...

Hi,

December 6th, 1956, I looked over my shoulder... probably doing 30mph on my bicycle at the time. When I looked back, I became aware that the road had narrowed, and a lampost (unlit) was "imminent". I have no recollection of the actual collision, but when I came to, my knees were touching, my ankles were about 6" apart ... mainly due to swelling of my left knee.

Fractured lower epithinis (sp?) of my left femur. The nice sister in Lloyd Ward, Croydon General , did the honours with a cut-throat razor, and  I woke up with plaster from big toe to mid-thigh. About a week later, that was extended up as far as my ribs. That required my to lie across the bed, with my bum on a basin, naked from the ribs down, while they wrapped bandages and plaster up from my thigh, to my ribs ... with every student nurse popping in for a shufti.   :-[  Call it a Rite of Passage!

I spent that Christmas in hospital ... taking full advantage of the mistletoe.

Crikey that sounds a nasty accident......and hilarious in the hospital

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 10:35:38 AM »

I agree can't see why one can't do it oneself...when there was a chance I might go on operations with the TA the nurse said she'd arrange for me to do it myself. If they kick up a fuss I think I know of a source from Germany and I probably will have a go..hope it won't come that though...buying meds off the inter web...not sure the Wife will administer it for me....she won't even clipper my hair!

We’ve already got the “jollop” she gets in on prescription and keeps it in the fridge until the appointment ,just need the pointy thing .

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 06:16:16 AM »

On the other hand, the people are generally much more practical and, of course, knowledgeable about farm equipment, cows, the weather and so on.

Hi,

A lady member of a Self Sufficiency forum reported that her 10 year old son, standing in the road, had shouted to her, as she was driving away from her house ....

"Mum, you've forgotten the castrators!"

She kept a herd of goats.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 05:12:10 PM »

Crikey that sounds a nasty accident......and hilarious in the hospital

Hi Mr T.

Enjoy my stay in hospital? I'll say!  I was one student nurse's first blanket bath, followed a couple of days later by her first enema (not my first, Mum was a pre-war nurse). The more experienced supervisory nurse spent the time raiding my locker for chocolates. I heard some years later, that the nurse (first name Rita) doing the dirty work, had emigrated to NZ . As she was a couple of years older than me, I guess she is now in her mid 80s.

Once a week, two student nurses would roll up with a trolley ... ask if I wanted my bottom rubbed. What a stupid question.

After two months, they took the plaster off, sent me home on crutches ... I couldn't bend that leg, so I had to report once a week for physio therapy. I had an old POLO bike, small wheels, very low geared, and fixed wheel. NO BRAKES. I used to ride it to hospital, one foot pedaling, the other dangling, and my crutches strung over my shoulder.  Happy daze!

Mum was a nurse at the TB sanitorium at Coombe Woods  (above Croydon). One of the doctors (Dr Poulson) was into racing Austin 7 Specials. He provided me with a steady supply of Motor Sport magazines. Soon after discharge, the film "Genevieve" was released (for our younger readers, Genevieve was a 1904 Darraq (sp?) having adventures on the annual London to Brighton run, to commemorate the end of the man with a red flag having to walk in front of the new fangled horseless carriages). I was hooked. If you haven't seen this film ..... Ebay will find you a CD ... it's a Rite of Passage.  You might recognise the theme tune, played by Larry Adler (I think).

I wonder if Google can find the "Trumpet Scene" from Genevieve?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.