S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Those dang fireworks  (Read 8556 times)

Youngun

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
Those dang fireworks
« on: November 09, 2019, 07:40:58 PM »

Why do they still sell the damn things to the public?

The guy over the road has been setting them off for over an hour now and atleast 3 of the sticks have bounced off my poor little Fiesta (the LRs can take it)

It must be time to ban these explosives outside organised events surely?

Ignoring the stress it causes to household pets and vulnerable people, the multitude of Social media posts showing dangerous misuse of what is essentially a bomb should already be enough evidence that the uneducated can't be allowed access to them anymore.

Vent over... Carry on

Neal

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
Re: Those dang fireworks
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:19:52 PM »

At times its like being in the trenches here in the middle of Southampton - starts in the middle of October and is still going strong tonight.  Nice to see historical events celebrated by so many after so long.

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6599
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 08:33:14 PM »

Totally agree and iv been saying it for a few years now organised displays only.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 09:04:52 PM »

I have always enjoyed fireworks.

A mate and I used to make our own, but it did get a little out of hand. We were finding bits of shed for days.

It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »

I can quite understand why you would currently be annoyed (who wouldn't be) but I don't believe banning something because some people use it irresponsibly is the right response.

Organised displays still create noise and much more of it. I have been doing professional displays for the same company for 27yrs now (I was at Danson Park in NW Kent last weekend) and believe me, firing large shells is pretty loud! Many of them are also now accompanied by loud music for hours before and after.

Displays are always more drawn-out when the 5th is mid-week and most concentrated when the 5th is a Saturday - that goes for both public and private displays. We also now have fireworks fairly commonly for New Year and also in some places for Diwali. It wouldn't be unreasonable to reduce availability outside a narrow window around these times (which is how it used to be) which would reasonably contain most displays to within a week or so of the event.

The explosive content of anything available to the public is very low - less than in a shotgun cartridge. They are also quieter than a shotgun. You could reasonably argue that all sport shooting should also be banned if the impact of the noise was the main issue. Shooting might not happen around your house but it does around mine, mainly pheasants and far more times a year than fireworks do. The same argument around disrupting other people's normal course of life could be applied to other activities which people do for pleasure that have an immediate impact on others. Drinking alcohol in large volumes and then being an idiot (drink driving or even just making a lot of noise and mess) is an obvious one on a Saturday night but I believe those who are irresponsible should be targeted, rather than simply imposing a ban. It could (reasonably) be argued that alcohol can be consumed without having an impact on others but there are other activities, such as closing down town centres for carnival parades, going on holiday towing a caravan or even driving a slow classic vehicle (e.g. a Series 2) which cannot be done without having an impact on people around you. These are all likely to cause inconvenience for longer, and on average to more people, than having some fireworks.

Probably easier on balance to tolerate the things which other people enjoy and you don't, unless someone is being a right idiot at which point the authorities could be called (and might even turn up if they want to watch the display!)

Alec

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 10:25:20 PM »

I can quite understand why you would currently be annoyed (who wouldn't be) but I don't believe banning something because some people use it irresponsibly is the right response.

Organised displays still create noise and much more of it. I have been doing professional displays for the same company for 27yrs now (I was at Danson Park in NW Kent last weekend) and believe me, firing large shells is pretty loud! Many of them are also now accompanied by loud music for hours before and after.

Displays are always more drawn-out when the 5th is mid-week and most concentrated when the 5th is a Saturday - that goes for both public and private displays. We also now have fireworks fairly commonly for New Year and also in some places for Diwali. It wouldn't be unreasonable to reduce availability outside a narrow window around these times (which is how it used to be) which would reasonably contain most displays to within a week or so of the event.

The explosive content of anything available to the public is very low - less than in a shotgun cartridge. They are also quieter than a shotgun. You could reasonably argue that all sport shooting should also be banned if the impact of the noise was the main issue. Shooting might not happen around your house but it does around mine, mainly pheasants and far more times a year than fireworks do. The same argument around disrupting other people's normal course of life could be applied to other activities which people do for pleasure that have an immediate impact on others. Drinking alcohol in large volumes and then being an idiot (drink driving or even just making a lot of noise and mess) is an obvious one on a Saturday night but I believe those who are irresponsible should be targeted, rather than simply imposing a ban. It could (reasonably) be argued that alcohol can be consumed without having an impact on others but there are other activities, such as closing down town centres for carnival parades, going on holiday towing a caravan or even driving a slow classic vehicle (e.g. a Series 2) which cannot be done without having an impact on people around you. These are all likely to cause inconvenience for longer, and on average to more people, than having some fireworks.

Probably easier on balance to tolerate the things which other people enjoy and you don't, unless someone is being a right idiot at which point the authorities could be called (and might even turn up if they want to watch the display!)

Alec

Well said.

One of the first things that came to my mind, and you touched on, are slow moving vehicles.

What if someone was really annoyed at slow moving vehicle every day on a two lane road because it impedes them getting somewhere faster?  Said person complains enough it's decided that slow moving vehicles be banned since they are a nuisance?  It can happen. 

There has been talk of limiting slow moving vehicles from using main thoroughfares during main commute hours in my area.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »

^^^ or even banning slow moving pensioners in supermarket aisles at busy times  :shakeinghead :shakeinghead

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 10:48:05 PM »

Quote (The explosive content of anything available to the public is very low - less than in a shotgun cartridge. They are also quieter than a shotgun) sorry dont agree with this comment alec, the fireworks im hearing around my house are definitely louder than any shotgun iv herd and also you can feel the pressure in the air if you are outside when they go off, many people enjoy fireworks and so do i but iv seen the problems that they bring to many pet owners and also the miss use by some of the younger element, this is why i think its time to move on and make them not for public use.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 11:15:36 PM »

Quote (The explosive content of anything available to the public is very low - less than in a shotgun cartridge. They are also quieter than a shotgun) sorry dont agree with this comment alec, the fireworks im hearing around my house are definitely louder than any shotgun iv herd

Shotgun 155-165dB https://www.isvr.co.uk/workplace/firearms-and-hearing-protection.htm (reference source is a noise consultancy based at the University of Southampton)
Fireworks available to the public limited to 120dB in line with BS EN14035 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/31873/10-1043-fireworks-retailers-guide.pdf (reference is government guidelines to retailers)

If the fireworks in your area are louder than a shotgun they are illegal. This would mean they are either illegally sold display fireworks or are being imported privately as there are effectively no remaining manufacturers in the UK and only a handful of legal importers (of which the company I work for is one) and they are very restricted in what they do.

Alec

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »

Thank you for that info Alec, all i can say is a lot of them are a lot louder than a shot gun and even the 22.250 so they must be getting them illegally, some time you can feel the pressure in the air from them when they are over head.
phil.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 08:26:57 AM »

WHY, WHY, have I been seeing and hearing fireworks going off for the last 15 days :shakeinghead
BAN THE DAM THINGS >:(

Tim Chilcott

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 8248
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 09:09:27 AM »

:ditto
Locally two horses and three dogs dead because of these explosives.
I don’t think that’s a mild inconvenience like getting stuck behind a caravan  >:D  >:D

100+9

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 09:57:37 AM »

Back in the day, there was a noise on Nov 5 or the nearest Saturday night. Now they're going 5-6 weeks before or after. Or any Tuesday.
The sight of them becomes even more exciting than a lamp-post. I say, have done. Run them every day. A quick display before you get a packet of fags and the paper, and another before you go for a sh*t. A bigger one when you're done.

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3118
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 10:30:32 AM »

Not just Nov 5th being the reason for the fireworks it is also Dewali which lasts for several days. Some years ago on holiday in France we spent the last day in Le Havre on Bastille day to say that the French attitude to feu d'artifice is a little more casual than ours would be an under statement.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 11:43:15 AM »

I would have thought that over the years the number of people who have suffered life changing injuries  caused by fireworks is reason enough to only have regulated official displays
Do not the NHS have enough problems ???
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.