S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: BOTTOM PTO  (Read 3617 times)

• Master of the oils
Re: BOTTOM PTO
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2022, 02:15:13 PM »

autorover Maurice Wilkes would be pleased to know how your 88 was configured as he said himself he envisaged pto's everywhere possible.

I was rummaging in the shed and I found a load of pneumatic bits and bobs I had salvaged.  An air throttle made by DRUM and some actuators.  It made me wonder if compressors have input rotation specifics like some hydraulic units appear to have.

re your hydraulic winch was the fluid tank put on the opposite side to the fuel tank, and were the spools with the tank but piped to be by the winch unit.

Moogling was the alternator operating the weld set directly or a 240v set through an invertor.  Looks a comprehensive and tidy instalment.

22900013A presumably to cope with the 6cylinder engine.

Does the 101fc dispense with the pto into equipment route in the centre winch.  The nokien winch mount to the transfer box and take drive directly?

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2022, 04:50:11 PM »

The hydraulic winch I used  had a flat oil tank , circa 7" deep, designed to fit under the front wheel arch, but I managed to fit it under the passenger side (LH) seat box storage space. The bottom of the tank was about level with the bottom of a LH twin fuel tank installation.   Spools?  The Valve block/ unloader valve,  fitted in the standard Land Rover Hydraulic winch installation position , on the heel board next to the Handbrake lever 

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2022, 05:04:35 PM »

Moogling was the alternator operating the weld set directly or a 240v set through an invertor.  Looks a comprehensive and tidy instalment.

The alternator goes through a three phase rectifier with capacitor in parallel to power the weld set directly.  :cool

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2022, 09:29:00 PM »

autorover Maurice Wilkes would be pleased to know how your 88 was configured as he said himself he envisaged pto's everywhere possible.

I was rummaging in the shed and I found a load of pneumatic bits and bobs I had salvaged.  An air throttle made by DRUM and some actuators.  It made me wonder if compressors have input rotation specifics like some hydraulic units appear to have.

re your hydraulic winch was the fluid tank put on the opposite side to the fuel tank, and were the spools with the tank but piped to be by the winch unit.

22900013A presumably to cope with the 6cylinder engine.

Does the 101fc dispense with the pto into equipment route in the centre winch.  The nokien winch mount to the transfer box and take drive directly?

I'm not sure what you mean re the 6 cylinder engine - plenty of 4 cyl petrol & diesel vehicles used that transmission too, and most six cylinder vehicles used the standard gearbox. The 1-Ton/FC box is not regarded as any stronger than a standard box, just lower geared.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

• Master of the oils
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2022, 11:44:54 AM »

The hydraulic winch I used  had a flat oil tank , circa 7" deep, designed to fit under the front wheel arch, but I managed to fit it under the passenger side (LH) seat box storage space. The bottom of the tank was about level with the bottom of a LH twin fuel tank installation.   Spools?  The Valve block/ unloader valve,  fitted in the standard Land Rover Hydraulic winch installation position , on the heel board next to the Handbrake lever

Thanks for the further fascinating insight.  Re controls what were on the valve block.  Was is basic, flow rate and direction?  With the pump engagement via the pto itself?  The hydraulic winch does have operation in both directions at the drum, or as it is the same drum winch as the mechanical driven, is it disengage the winch to pay out cable?

Moogling is the welder itself an arc type or something a little more modern.  Is it used for out in the field fixes on machinery or plant or anywhere off grid?

22900013A the fc is a rare item and my knowledge there of is very limited.  I have just been reading about one that was converted from pick up to caravan EC80 was its reg in the country it came from.

I did see a camper at leafers, it appeared to have air tanks, for assisted brakes? 

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2022, 01:03:03 PM »

The winch drum could winch in or winch out , depending on the motor rotation which was controlled by the valve block , the lever being in the cab. The drum could be disengaged from the drive to pull out the cable , same as most winches . Cable  line speed was controlled by engine speed, ie the accelerator.  The valve block had a pressure relief valve , to limit the line pull, which if activated opened an unloader valve which released all hydraulic pressure on the motor to stop it dead .  You needed to put the control back into neutral and then back to pay in or pay out to continue operation.  The drum could not  turn the motor .  The hydraulics were all Dowty.   Picture of basic Hydraulic layout from 1965 parts book

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2022, 01:06:17 PM »

Moogling is the welder itself an arc type or something a little more modern.  Is it used for out in the field fixes on machinery or plant or anywhere off grid?

Nah it's a simple Arc welder. It's design purpose was only ever as a potentially useful bit of kit and since it's creation has been used to repair a couple of stranded vehicles met on lanes and a few hard to reach gates,  otherwise it's a party piece!

• Master of the oils
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2022, 12:56:04 PM »

Autorover thanks for yet more information, do you have the page that accompanies to diagram you have posted?

The direction lever looks very like the pneumatic one I mentioned I had made by DRUM.  When I searched them I got no results, wonder if they no longer exist.  From memory it came from an oil tanker, and worked either the pump gear or the catherine wheel that the hose went on.  I am guessing from one of the larger oil firms as they always had super spec tankers.  Whilst all required metal mudguards in stead of plastic to reduce fire risk from blowout theirs had chequer plate for example.  New pumping gear was air not electric to null the spark risk.

Re drum winch you mention the drum cannot backfeed the motor any idea on the gear ratio of the winch itself?

Moogling as long as it can and has done the job arc is good with me.  The only issues I have had is damp rods and rod consumption.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2022, 06:47:10 AM »

Hi,

From memory, so may be wrong, but there is a photo in "Workhorse" of a Royal Marines Land Rover pulling (driving?) a trailer through arduous terrain.

I assumed the trailer was powered through the PTO. ???

An idle thought, based on very little knowledge....

Could a Land Rover be fitted with an overdrive to the front wheels only ... which would require F/W hubs on the rear, unless somebody was clever enough to reverse the output ends of the transfer box ... so 4x2 would drive the front wheels only?  I am assuming that you will not be driving in over-drive on mud or snow?

I have further thoughts, but too "way-out" for publication. (Such as remove the idler gear between main and transfer box, so everything drives in the opposite direction, the fit the engine and gearbox back to front, behind the driver). 

Or, let's not bother?

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2022, 12:08:11 PM »

Land Rover did experiment with powered trailers, one was seen behind a prototype 101, another on what was basically a test bed 109" 1 Ton to WD spec, and again with a stage 1 V8 but the MOD never took them on aside from test beds. Some did see use with North Eastern Electricity Board however...

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2022, 01:02:10 PM »

Scottorn Trailers Ltd. were an Approved supplier for 109". I have only seen one , that was at a show.  I also have seen and have driven at Eastnor a 101 prototype with the powered axle coupling.  It had ENV axles  & the LR six cylinder engine.

• Master of the oils
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2022, 03:22:58 PM »

Re Power driven trailer would the simplest solution be to use a through axle on the rear as per a hotspur 6x6 and convey that through to drive the trailer wheels.

I am thinking along those lines as a local haulier used to use leyland roadtrain tractor units with driven articulated landfill sites trailer.  Only limit was tyres, even loading and gentle right foot otherwise unstoppable.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2022, 03:38:59 PM »

The powered trailer concept got ditched largely due to cost, but also due to safety. Driving down a hill and turning left or right at the bottom with the powered trailer engaged had the effect of trying to jacknife the whole rig. Several were pushed over by the trailer pushing the LR at 90 degrees to the axle line.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

• Master of the oils
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2022, 11:41:18 AM »

With regard to the front wheel drive that 602 mentioned.  The AA had some car transporters made, not sure of the wheelbase or the years they ran from or to.  They were front wheel drive with a lolode hydraulic lowering platform on the rear.  Not sure if the platform hydraulics ran from a hand pump like the trailers the manufactured or were plumbed in to the vehicle.

I have only ever seen pictures.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2022, 12:14:30 PM »

One came up for sale recently. Somebody on here posted a link to an eBay sale if I remember correctly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.