S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do with your Series 2s today ...  (Read 11969 times)

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
Re: What did you do with your Series 2s today ...
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2021, 10:29:49 PM »

Andy, not bad for a Series 3

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2021, 10:37:30 PM »

Andy, not bad for a Series 3

Peter
Don't tell them that Peter I was hoping to enter "wheel of the month"
Actually they are not perfect took me weeks because i can only do one at once, put the spare on and kept rotating round. So the passenger front was originally passenger rear. I'm happy with them and whilst off and on ramps or axle stands i've also been wire brushing the underside and painting with some old oil and black paint. And given all the inside a wash down too.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2021, 04:06:44 PM »

Went to the 4X4 Spares day at Three Counties. Came back with an assortment of bits I didn't know I wanted and a couple I did. Also sold my roof rack to the nice chap who parked next to me  :tiphat

gregbuck1974

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1331
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2021, 08:15:48 PM »

Started taking my first ever engine apart, slowly.
Keeping an eye on what goes where with plenty of photos.
It's seized so needs to come apart to be checked.

martinrh

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6601
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2021, 08:29:30 PM »

Changed the engine oil, greased and checked levels in preparation for camping next weekend (which I’m very much looking forwards to)
About 1500 miles since I last checked and the transfer box needed 200ml and the gearbox 100ml
Then when I checked the overdrive it was overfull (by about 300ml I guess)
So I assume my oils are migrating to the overdrive somehow?
Also looked at fitting an adjustable drop plate but decided to leave it until after I’ve checked out what other people have fitted next weekend. Did I mention I’m looking forward to it ? :cool

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2021, 09:12:38 PM »

Took the track rods off to clean them up and get ready for new ball joints. Found two joints were the later type in the earlier tubes...

Looked at my steering relay and the leaking bottom seal. Decided to see if it might come out to do on the bench. I've never had much success with steering relays - they always seem to weld themselves into the chassis. Undid the two cross bolts having removed the arms. Undid the bottom four retaining fixings for the plate. Got out my copper mallet and gave it a tap... It came straight out! First time I've had one in 30 years which hasn't fought me all the way! Not sure if I actually believe that it came out so smoothly.
Might be worth pointing out that whoever fitted it, put a light smear of grease round the body which saved the day. I'll be forever grateful although I note that they had fitted it back to front...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2021, 09:58:17 PM »

Took the track rods off to clean them up and get ready for new ball joints. Found two joints were the later type in the earlier tubes...

Looked at my steering relay and the leaking bottom seal. Decided to see if it might come out to do on the bench. I've never had much success with steering relays - they always seem to weld themselves into the chassis. Undid the two cross bolts having removed the arms. Undid the bottom four retaining fixings for the plate. Got out my copper mallet and gave it a tap... It came straight out! First time I've had one in 30 years which hasn't fought me all the way! Not sure if I actually believe that it came out so smoothly.
Might be worth pointing out that whoever fitted it, put a light smear of grease round the body which saved the day. I'll be forever grateful although I note that they had fitted it back to front...

I know that feeling, my steering relay practically dropped out after i removed all bolts, even after 40 years of sitting in a bush rotting away, luckily the post office mechanics greased it up when they rebuilt the front end in the 70s, all for a little bit of grease.

BettyWhite

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7452
  • .:
  • Only fools think that they are wise
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2021, 10:15:34 PM »

The relay being seized in the boss was the thing that tipped me over the edge and saw me buy a new chassis from Richards.
My original chassis was pretty rough with plenty of repairs over the years but if I could have got the relay out I would have tried to salvage it, so it's probably just as well that the relay was seized in.

When the new one goes in it will definitely have a grease on it.

As my old foreman used to say, "with a landrover, if it is supposed to move grease it, if not paint it"

BW
I've given so many people a piece of my mind over the years that I haven't got much left and my give a damn was busted years ago!

Malcolm R

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6730
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2021, 01:17:27 PM »

Currently at the scrapyard stripping bits off a series 3
1963 SWB 2.25L petrol

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2021, 02:29:43 PM »

You're lucky Malcolm.  No one down south seems to break Land Rovers any more. I don't know of any breakers in my area.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Simon1959

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6929
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2021, 04:46:53 PM »

Not quite today, but picked up my restored bulkhead from Tony Wood over the weekend. He has done a fine job of it, at least to my untrained eye. Certainly more work than originally envisaged. The PO was certainly a dab hand with the body filler. Do we think a trial fitting of the bulkhead is necessary given that it was all jigged during the re-work? I suspect the answer is yes, especially given the cost of painting.

My vent control parts arrived back from tin plating today and look good. A small niggle over the coating thickness over the more heavily pitted area. Doesn't seemed to have taken quite as well there as the rust free areas. In dialogue with the supply about that.

Malcolm R

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6730
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2021, 05:15:45 PM »

Managed to get a radiator, diff, alpine windows, stub axles and a few other bits off the land rover. It's now pretty much stripped of everything useful. Unfortunately the only other series land rover they had has been reduced to a bulkhead. Next time I'm there I might think about getting some range rover 3.54:1 diffs

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2021, 05:21:03 PM »

You're lucky Malcolm.  No one down south seems to break Land Rovers any more. I don't know of any breakers in my area.

Unfortunately all the good ones have either died off or been legislated away...

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2021, 07:36:17 PM »

Lucky though, the last I saw in a breakers had once been a very nice vehicle, the gorillas in the yard had done more damage than the accident that sent it there :-(

I still managed to get some useful parts though, including the dash ( fine bar a broken glass) and a smiths heater. I took the bulkhead but it had been mangled by whoever robbed the engine and gearbox.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2021, 05:52:02 PM »

A little recovery job, helping the National Park Rangers out of a ditch.... they had pulled over to let a vehicle past and not spotted the very deep ditch.  Low 2nd and pull away gently, no drama at all.   

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.