S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The End is Nigh.  (Read 1045 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
The End is Nigh.
« on: August 23, 2022, 05:43:09 PM »

Hi.

Barbara done a "WE BUY ANY CAR" on my Freelander. £650.  A month a go it was £850. I assume that one has to factor in the "We thought it would be better than that!", when the punter arrives.

Perhaps Gibbo would like to comment. as he saw the car recently?

VED is circa £650. Barbara's Hyundai iX20 is £160 (Its a 1600cc engine).

The combined insurance is circa £900pa, but that might be influenced by Barbara surrendering her licence, but keeping the car in her name (so ONE owner) with me as the only named driver.

I doubt that my mileage (combined) exceeds 40 miles per week, say 2000 miles pa.

I know where there is a Series lying dying in a field.

Tea (Tiffin) awaits, I'll be back later, but any thoughts in the meantime?

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
Re: The End is Nigh.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 06:04:32 PM »

The freelander is not the sort of car that you should sell through “we buy any car” type site - you have also roughly doubled the cost of VED on it. I’m sure that with a bit of effort a decent price could be obtained for it by selling privately. On the other hand, the Hyundai is worth North of £11k so perhaps selling that would give you more options. Happy to come along and have a chat with yourself and Barbara. Dave

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 06:12:59 PM »

"We buy any car" will never offer you what they say it's worth on their website  :shakeinghead
Which is fair enough, as long as you realise that.
It's a starting point.
It does give you a ball park value.
You would do better selling privately or as a trade in.

When you take your vehicle to "We buy any car" they will inspect it very closely and go through a clip-board check list, making the vehicle down. They will offer you several hundred less even if your car is seemingly immaculate.
That's how their business model works.
They will pay on the day.
You have no hassle or wasted time dealing with punters and tyre kickers and placing adverts.
This could be worth a few hundred for you not to have to do the selling yourself ???
The "We buy any car" model is not for everyone but it does get rid of your car quick.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Simon K.

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2721
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 06:14:17 PM »

The answer is to sell both cars, Freelander privately, Hyundai to dealer.

Then go out and buy a Peugeot / Citroen or Remault that has a conversion to take Barbaras buggy in the back. She deserves to get out of the house too. Buy and insure in your name.

Transport problems are then sorted.

Simon.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 06:15:47 PM »

Totally agree ^^^

This is your best course of action.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 06:31:32 PM »

Hi Gibbo,

Thanks for prompt reply. and some encouragement.

You are always welcome to call, subject to me taking Wilkie to his "walker" in Bletchley every weekday, depart at 13.00hrs, return at 14.00hrs. On Saturday, our daughter visits us, and Wilkie does without on Sundays. Barbara's carers visit, but don't stay long, and I now have my back washed in the shower (various genders) but that is early morning. Hey, I even get Attendance Allowance, so life can't be all bad.  :cheers

Barbara has just suggested trading our present fleet against a new battery powered Hyundai, but I doubt that she realises how much they cost. But it's worth enquiring ... don't ask, don't get. Question ... do battery powered cars have a towing capacity?

There is also the matter of there being no apparent expectancy of her ever getting out of bed. Strange, as her last fall was while transferring from the WC to her powerchair. Maybe I shouldn't have called the Fire Brigade (There was a 3 hour wait for an ambulance).

Thanks for the footnote, Alan. I'm not disagreeing, but a WAV does not overcome her being confined to bed, nor having nowhere to go once she is aboard the WAV. Very few houses or public buildings are wheel-chair friendly. But your suggestion does raise the question ... is there a battery powered WAV? .... which would be VAT exempt ... so worth exploring.

HTH

John (602)

Next question ... What is the cost of installing a charging point on our house wall? I have room for three cars to charge from the same location.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 06:36:44 PM »

Battery powered WAVs.

Hi,

A quick Google suggests that battery powered WAVS are "imminent"

Simon K.

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2721
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 06:53:16 PM »

It will cost you close to £1000  to have a charging point installed, as you don't have solar panels, the electricity cost will only spiral in the future, stick to fossil fuels to power your vehicle, they will outlive you I'm afraid.

Simon.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 07:11:53 PM »

A petrol hybrid will see you out.

No battery to charge as such.

They run on petrol and charge the battery as they go along.

We have a Toyota hybrid, but it doesn't get anywhere near the mpg my diesel Fiesta gets, with zero VED  :first
Fun to drive - it's an automatic and the acceleration is fearsome.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 07:32:27 PM »

Battery cars are not recommended to tow anything. They've created a new syndrome, Range Anxiety, as the battery indicator goes down nearly as fast as the depreciation and you're desperately trying to find somewhere to charge it.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 07:48:34 PM »

.....and battery cars cannot be towed. Too late to edit my previous post.

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2022, 08:53:43 AM »

Just a thought, a battery powered car will only give you 50% of the mileage that would be normally predicted for any vehicle, but then again what are you towing, if it's a small trailer then it should not be to bad providing you can get a towing hitch fitted, then you have to consider how do you charge it with a trailer on the back as most public charging points are small single space with no room for a trailer.

Charging points have lost the grant they had so they have become expensive. You can use a 13 pin charger but it will take a good 8 to 12 hours to charge from empty, I plug in is not so bad as they have a reduced range and normally only take about 6 hours.

I've towed my caravan with a plug in hybrid which proved to be very good, the only downside is the fuel economy which was not good and the cost of the vehicle was extremely high. Then there's the reliability, pretty shocking with Land Rover hence mine as gone.

Our runaround is a great option, it's a Suzuki SZ5 4x4 petrol Hybrid (mild), does 54 mpg locally, plenty of room as it's a 5 door, not sure what it can tow but it will tow a small trailer, great in the snow, we are on our third one.

For towing I've gone back to a normal diesel, as the car is not used for anything else, don't see the benefit of the hybrid as the weight becomes a restriction, so now running a Merc GLC 220D 4matic AMG line, does the job and gives me over 30 mpg towing compared to 22 to 24 mpg with the Evoque, plus 45 to 55 mpg locally.

Lots of choices you just need to decide what your priority is.

RobS 

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2022, 09:51:04 AM »

Hi,

Virtually all my journeys now, are to my daughter's house ... about three miles each way, plus a visit to the local newsagent on Saturday to buy a paper, and invest in LOTTO. Taxis, at £5 each way, would be the sensible financial solution.

Barbara's Boss Carer has admitted that Barbara is going to spend the rest of her life in bed. The LA provided a clinical "engine hoist".(£1,000?) The LA carers tried to use it once, without much success. I suspect the small wheels were digging into the carpet, requiring a sharp jerk to get it moving. Barbara is reluctant to try again, so the hoist sits in the living room. I think the solution is to replace the bedroom carpet (laid in 1984 when the house was built?) with laminate boards, to match every other "used" room in the bungalow.

Social Services provided a "hospital bed" (£800+?) prior to Barbara leaving hospital. That meant splitting our fairly new Adjustamatic 5ft double into two, leaving ME with a 30" single, which would be suitable for child. Barbara demanded that we buy me a 1000mm Hospital Pattern bed ... height adjustable at head and foot, at £800+ ... not as posh as hers, but acceptable.

We had already spent £1000 of our own money, having the living room door into the hall converted to double doors, giving straight access from the living room into the bathroom. Academic now, as she can't get out of bed.

I too seem to be getting full Invalid Care Allowance. To start with, I was only getting ICA for day care. The Care Team Boss said I should be getting the full amount, as they were visiting us both, four times a day. I assume she took it upon herself to get things adjusted

Our builder has demanded that I don't do any more physical work in the garden ... I could only do it slowly anyway. The thought of me filling a 2-yard skip, in two weeks, by myself, was rather daunting.

I'll send the collection box round later.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2022, 09:58:02 AM »

Hi again,

Oops! I referred to Invalid Care Allowance (ICA) twice in my previous mail. I should have called it Attendance Allowance
(Now very close to £90 per week).

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 16 queries.