S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving in Europe ... warning.  (Read 2469 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Driving in Europe ... warning.
« on: July 19, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »

Hi,

Before departing from a toll booth, make sure your seatbelt is refastened.  They may be watching you ... a nice little earner.

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
Re: Driving in Europe ... warning.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 11:26:54 AM »

The same goes for entering at least three branches of Tesco in my area.

An old couple stand at the side of the road just outside the entrances, if they spot non seatbelt wearers or mobile phone users, they radio uniformed officers waiting in the car park.

Be careful out there. :tiphat

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 06:19:11 AM »

Hi,

A few years ago, it was reported that Spanish Plods were targeting drivers of British cars, who had to un-belt to reach toll-booth ... then courteously cleared the booth before re-belting.

OT, back in UK ... many years ago, it was reported that Plod watched a staggeringly drunk man being helped into his car by (presumably) his wife, then departing the car park. They were stopped as soon as the car hit the public road, and went through the breathalizer procedure, with the Perp on the point of arrest  (ignoring his protests) when his wife butted in, to invite the Officer to look inside the car ... a left hand drive Mercedes.

I once had Plod apologise for stopping me ... he'd never seen a quad with a tax disc. I'd paid a few hundred pounds extra for the "street legal" kit, which included a steel petrol tank, and at that time, KEEPING horses was regarded as agriculture (but RIDING wasn't). I think that was a High Court ruling in 1981 ... eventually over-ruled. I suppose I could have gone the egg-farming, goat milking, bee-keeping, (even Forestry - firewood collecting, or spraying bracken route). I wonder if growing cannabis counts as Agriculture? For the record, I have smoked one Players Weights (which I didn't enjoy), and one "spiff" (Which was OK, but not worth paying money for).

I have read that bracken can grow nearly 30 tons per acre ... can anybody think of a commercial use for the stuff. Similarly Japanese Knotweed?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 06:37:40 AM »

An old couple stand at the side of the road just outside the entrances, if they spot non seatbelt wearers or mobile phone users,

Hi Kev,

Asking, coz I don't have a mobile phone (but maybe if Fisher Price started selling them).

Many years go, somebody offered in their defence, that if Plod could use his radio while driving ... ??? Did they change the law, or what?

Warning ... Monsieur Plod gets a bit "iffy" when he sees an unrestrained cat or dog in a moving car.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 08:56:14 AM »

Two way radios are not included in the Mobile phone regulations.   I can use my amateur radio on the move, but could be charged  not to have full control of the vehicle holding a microphone. But evidence would need to be provided that that was so.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 09:06:41 AM »

.... nor are Kit-Kats; yet people have been done for eating them on the move, or even stopped at level crossing gates waiting for a train to pass.  :thud

The Law is an ass ... The offence should be "Driving without care and attention" and that covers all possible scenarios.
No need for separate laws to cover various named items that may be found in the vehicle.

Mind how you go ...

:plod
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 06:33:54 PM »

Hi Alan,

In France, unrestrained dogs ( and cats) are favoured targets.

GatheR RoveR

• Chassis welder
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 02:46:36 PM »

Hi Alan,

In France, unrestrained dogs ( and cats) are favoured targets.

In the Netherlands you are advised to do so, the dog must not be able to distract the driver?

In some (most) EU country’ s your dog needs to be restrained or in a cage, but if you do not have seatbelts how do you or where do you attach them to? I drive in a car that does not need seatbelt’s so does that not count regarding the restraining of the dogs?

I do not know but I travel until the last years with 3 and now 2 (polar) dogs hanging out of the windows all true Europe, from Spain, the UK, France, Switserland up to Finland, Estonia, Poland etc….. in my 3 doors S2 109 without any problems.

And I have minimal twice a year a three weeks roadtrip !

The dogs are sitting or sleeping behind the front seats on a shelf so they are able look true the front window and are visible for every one.
While driving under 65 km/h the rear (defender) sliding windows are open and they love to hang out of the windows.

I know there are law’s but until now I never had problems, I often get stops at toll booths also by the France police because they want to pat the dogs ?!? And also at the UK, or Swedish borders, it is the same everywhere  :first

Until now I never had problems ?
But I always travel in low seasons,  should that make a difference?

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 06:15:21 PM »

My little dog travels in the passenger footwell, short journeys she is unrestrained and for longer journeys she wears a harness and a lead which is looped through the passenger door handle. There is enough slack to open the door without dragging her out of the car but not enough for her to cross to the drivers side. I’m sure there will be another clause saying she shouldn’t be within my eye line or something. She is so calm it makes no difference whether she is restrained or not, she won’t sleep because she still retains a healthy dislike for travelling in the car.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 06:01:03 PM »

Hi,

Ahem ... I was driving my Minivan up Purley Way in Croydon (it must have been early 1960s) When I was passed by two blind police motorcyclists.

How do I know they were blind? Just a couple of seconds previously, my German Shepherd had jumped onto my lap.

PS. 1959 Minivans were not fitted for seat belts. I think belts were not required in commercial vehicles until 1965 (correct me if I'm wrong), but I couldn't find any regulations for 4x4 Dual Purpose Vehicles, nor Estate Cars, which are also DPVs.  DPVs are not restricted to commercial vehicle speed limits.

I found out to my cost (£2 fine for being clocked at 80mph in the aforementioned Minivan), that you need BOTH rear seats AND side windows, to be considered NOT a goods vehicle. I think the commercial vehicle speed limit is now 50mph, except on Motorways. In those days, it was 40mph.  The magistrates apologised for the endorsement, but said they had no option.

Afterwards, I paid £26 Purchase Tax, and another £10 (I think), for the glass kit, plus a pair of Monodex cutters. ... but that was a long time ago.

jonhutchings

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 10:21:02 AM »

.... nor are Kit-Kats; yet people have been done for eating them on the move, or even stopped at level crossing gates waiting for a train to pass.  :thud

The Law is an ass ... The offence should be "Driving without care and attention" and that covers all possible scenarios.
No need for separate laws to cover various named items that may be found in the vehicle.

Mind how you go ...

:plod
I went on a driver awareness course after Thames Valley plod stopped me for using my mobile phone in stationary traffic (because I had the engine running) on the Botley Road in Oxford. The irony being that I had to put the phone down and drive forwards to allow the police to pull in behind me to nick me!

Anyway the course was run by  two recently retired police officers, was very interesting and they were at great pains to explain that no one had ever been prosecuted in the thames valley region (at that time a few years back) under any of the specific mobile phone offences. People are always actually charged with Dangerous driving, driving without undue care and attention, or not being in full control of a vehicle etc. There were many reasons for this, but mostly it's because they are proven laws with plenty of proven case law to support them and the CPS will pass them on for prosecution without much issue. When there are new, specific laws, it take time for the cases to build up and the CPS and police to have confidence in the legislation and forming water tight cases, it often requires more work to ensure success, and in a resource strapped place environment, they always go with the easy option which will get the outcome.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 08:59:03 AM »

Hi,

A long time ago, a well known local "person of interest" in the Swansea Valley was arrested for being over the limit. his defence was along the lines of  ... the car was stationary in a private car park, and the engine wasn't running. I don't know the outcome.

While working in Bristol, Barbara used to spend the evenings in a bar with senior-ish Police Offices. She told me, that they advised her to ignore any of those letters demanding details of who was driving her car on a specified day/time, within 14days.  Problem, I can't remember if it was all such letters, or just some specific letters.

I assume we all know (unless it's been changed) that you have to be warned of intended prosecution within 14 days of an offence ... but notification can be as brief as a verbal "You're nicked". I think the idea is that you cannot claim in court, that you have no recollection of the event. But if there was an accident involved, it is assumed that you will remember.

My understanding is that a police officer must caution you immediately he decides to report you. I have heard my friends say things that perhaps they shouldn't. with the officer ending the conversation with the caution .... "Anything that you HAVE said will be used ...."  I don't know if they still do that, as it's been nearly 60 years since I've had that sort of conversation

"Good evening!" I said

"Don't you mean Good Morning?" ... tersly

"It's like that, is it?

"Yes! I have followed you for one mile. Your minimum speed was 72mph, your maximum speed was 80mph. Anything you will be ......etc"
I never said another word in his presence. My standard 850cc Minivan , being a commercial, was restricted to 40mph (I think it's now 50mph, unless you have windows AND seats .... or 4WD, both of which make you dual-purpose.)

Whatever, I can't complain, the sergeant acted very correctly ... although I did not see his lights behind me, on an unlit section of the A1, until there was an explosion of lights (white and flashing blue) alongside me.  Him cheating does not absolve me.

As I said, but more precisely, that was 58 years ago. Fined £2.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2022, 02:09:12 PM »

Commercial limits now 50mph single track, 60 dual track. Motorway is 70 mph upto 3500kg, 60 below 3500kg or when towing.

1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

Alice B

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3144
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2022, 07:34:12 PM »

Commercial limits now 50mph single track, 60 dual track. Motorway is 70 mph upto 3500kg, 60 below 3500kg or when towing.

On single carriageway roads in Scotland the Commercial limit is 40mph unless travelling on the A9 where a trial have been going on for 5 years to allow 50mph.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2022, 08:13:42 PM »

Commercial limits now 50mph single track, 60 dual track. Motorway is 70 mph up to 3500kg, 60 below 3500kg or when towing.

Hi,

I think I spotted this weeks deliberate mistake, above.  :whistle

When I was at the Government Training Centre, two CID "hacks" rolled up looking for volunteers to stand in an identity parade. No shortage of volunteers.

The overladen cars were doing 60mph in close convoy down Purley Way which had a 30 limit ... I suppose it could (arguably) be described as police business, but scarcely necessary. But I wasn't going to complain.

One witness pointed to one of our lads.  He complained afterwards that was the second time he'd been "identified" ... the first time was a murder investigation. The copper told him that if any of our mob had been picked out .... it would have been him.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.