S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bristol Diesel Ban , the thin end of the wedge ?  (Read 9621 times)

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
Re: Bristol Diesel Ban , the thin end of the wedge ?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2019, 06:20:56 PM »

602, there is only room for a dozen cars to park at the BRI. And nowhere for staff to park. There is only drop off points at A&E then you have to park in a multi-storey park 10mins walk away.
Note that the hospital is the centre for oncology, heart problems, maternity eye, dental and general surgery
Madness   >:( >:(

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 06:48:54 PM »

Hi G6anz

BRI? Bristol Royal infirmary? Where does the Head Honcho park? "RHIP", as we used to say in the forces.

When I was in short trousers (went long when I was 14) I used to sit on the bus on my way to school, and think "This is stupid!"

The office workers in Croydon were competing with kids on their way to school ... in Croydon. Surely the planners could have arranged things so that the office workers caught the bus into town, and the kids caught the buses going out of town. Win, win, win! (Workers, kids. bus company) and another win ... the general public ... less pollution as only half the number of buses pumping fumes.

PS, for those that didn't know. RHIP?  Rank Has It's Privileges.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 07:17:45 PM »

Yeah banning diesel in Bristol will make all the difference, I am sure it will offset all the new coal power stations they are building in China and India.

China is moving into Renewable energy VERY fast, their mass production has hugely dropped the price of solar panels.... and the have mobilised entire Army Divisions to plant Forest. This year they will reforest an area the size of the Republic of Ireland

Everyone shoul;d be doing their bit to be careful with resources, it plan common sense.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 07:20:32 PM »

Hi G6anz

BRI? Bristol Royal infirmary? Where does the Head Honcho park? "RHIP", as we used to say in the forces.

When I was in short trousers (went long when I was 14) I used to sit on the bus on my way to school, and think "This is stupid!"

The office workers in Croydon were competing with kids on their way to school ... in Croydon. Surely the planners could have arranged things so that the office workers caught the bus into town, and the kids caught the buses going out of town. Win, win, win! (Workers, kids. bus company) and another win ... the general public ... less pollution as only half the number of buses pumping fumes.

PS, for those that didn't know. RHIP?  Rank Has It's Privileges.

Better yet. In this day and age a huge number of jobs could be done from or near home, very little need for people to travel to rabbit-warren office blocks at all, certainly not 9-5, 5 days a week. The design and layout needs to change...

linesrg

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »

Good Evening All,

I see there are some of the usual responses whenever the subject of altering the way we do things come up.

Yes there have been previous incidents of climate change, I don't think this is a contentious issue per se, it is the rate of change in the current case which is, I believe, unprecedented.

I have no expertise in the are of climatology or any associated science but the arguments in support of the fact that we are contributing to the overall effect means we need to be seen to do something. The problem is that the minute you suggest making peoples lives a little less 'comfortable' you meet resistance.

I, supported by my wife, have spent a lot of money in the last 30 years moving from where we were to where we are now. A simple example is that I used to drive a 1952 80" vehicle everywhere, we now have a Skoda that does 45mpg (OK it is a diesel) and a Renault Zoe.

We had a single burner oil fired range providing heat and cooking in our current house and moved through a condensing LPG boiler to the all singing, all dancing heat pump, slashing our heating bills (a combination of a shed load of insulation and very efficient 'boiler').

We have installed solar PV and solar hot water systems.

Our standard of living hasn't changed but, overall our impact on the planet has been reduced.

There is still more that can be done by all of us, some of what I read here and, in fairness, a great many other places, suggests that there is still a long way to go to get the message across.

As I have said elsewhere - in a hundred years time will the main subject of historical discussion be Brexit or climate change?

Regards

Richard

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2019, 09:38:52 PM »

I think you'l find that the majority of hospital workers can't work from home

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2019, 10:07:32 PM »

I think you'l find that the majority of hospital workers can't work from home

Yep. That's why I never mentioned hospital workers, it was office based jobs I referenced in response to 602 ?  Many jobs in Hospitals will be a pretty solid form of "customer-facing" role by any definition, I suggest ! 

One good example of the battery-cage office worker is the "Call Centre". Utterly pointless commute for most of these workers, the technology to switch a home computer and phone into the employers network and blank off access to other sites, measure number of calls handled etc has been around for ages - a company approached MoD with this as a "solution" for wounded veterans and MoD spouses on remote bases - the idea was they they could agree what hours they'd work - a full day or an option to fit it around family commitments then act as the "overspill" for conventional call centres. School age kids ? No problem, just be home between 10 till 3 or whatever, do a couple of hours after the kids are in bed... Able to work at 2am ? Fill your boots...without leaving home.  I understand 4% of the working population are in Call Centres ?     

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2019, 05:45:02 AM »

Yep. That's why I never mentioned hospital workers, it was office based jobs I referenced in response to 602 ?

Hi Genem,

If a hospital serves the County, is the centre of Town the best place to put it?

My mate John (the punk) had his thumb bitten off, while trying to prevent a fight between his GSD and a friends Lab. This was the top end of the Swansea Valley. There was some doubt about which A&E they should visit. Swansea or Brecon.

Once that was sorted, another problem raised it's head. The surgeons wanted to knock him out ... he wanted to watch. He watched!

Both dogs died of old age. I found him a 5-month old Neopolitan Mastiff, (Google) free to good home. A big soft lump (just like John) that could cripple you with it's wagging tail.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »

Yep. That's why I never mentioned hospital workers, it was office based jobs I referenced in response to 602 ?

Hi Genem,

If a hospital serves the County, is the centre of Town the best place to put it?

Not really, it needs to be in a place thats easy to get to for the most people. Most twon centres are not actully that easy to get to. The "ring-road" or whatever the local equivalent is might be better.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2019, 11:44:49 AM »

That's just what they did in Norwich some years back.

They built a spanking brand new hospital next to our labs, with no exit onto the bypass  :thud
The hospital was a 1000 beds short and they have had permanent building on site to expand.
The car parking spaces were farcical. Staff could only get there by car and have to pay to park - so they park in the nearby lanes/roads.
For patients/visitors we have one of the highest parking charges in the country  :shakeinghead

Hospital and clinical services have not expanded with the increasing population. In fact the total population in the UK is unknown and under estimated.

Sounds like the Bristol hospital is in the wrong place, should be re-developed for housing and a new facility built where people can easily get there - and accept it needs free and plenty of parking space and decent public transport access as well.
In Victorian times, the hospitals were built where the patients lived - in the towns and cities.

Our poster from up there ^^^
Is quite right.
The numb of this topic keeps coming round and there's nothing we can do - the authorities don't come here and read our comments  :'(
We are preaching to the converted.

:wooly-jumper

Who's a then ?

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4871
  • .:
  • forumite formerly known as suffixb
    • rustylandrovers
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »

Yeah banning diesel in Bristol will make all the difference, I am sure it will offset all the new coal power stations they are building in China and India.

You're right. We should wait until everyone is ready to make change, everyone agrees on how to do it, then try and do it all in one go. That's the key to the development of legislation and technology.
pictures, and words

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2019, 12:56:38 PM »

You're right. We should wait until everyone is ready to make change, everyone agrees on how to do it, then try and do it all in one go. That's the key to the development of legislation and technology.

Gesture politics sure ain't going to save the world which is what banning diesel in one British city amounts to.

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2019, 01:18:08 PM »

If you go back to when rudolf invented the compression ignition engine he had it running on peanut oil.

Would be interested to see the emissions from that fuel.

Petrol cars have always been let off the hook as far as i am concerned as they are visibly less polluting on the whole even though the nasties are there.

The industries and they know who they are used cheat codes/software to satisfy legislation whilst under scrutiny, for tax banding and mot testing.

Cars that had been around for ages with the same engine suddenly made huge strides in progress.  It fooled no one.

As for folks operating horses as their transport, I think that skill set has long bolted!

The jams would be literally nose to tail, and where would they plug their phones in!

The roads would be self resurfacing if you could see them for flies.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2019, 05:30:54 PM »

Hi 2286,

I agree ... horses are lovely creatures (usually), but not a viable means of transport for the masses.

Our friends on the young mountain above the Swansea Valley had an Ardenne X Shire gelding. It could "bunny hop" up a river bank, dragging a huge tree trunk. His owner, found a saddle that was big enough to fit, but had to have a girth strap specially made ... 96". It was a waste of money, as he couldn't get his head around being ridden, just turned his head and gazed at the silly woman sitting on his back. I reckon his head was bigger than my Shetland gelding.

I understand that he was "gifted" to the Forestry Commission.

I wonder if Googling ARDENNE STALLION IMAGES will produce any interesting pictures. ???

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »

Hi,

I wonder if .... ???

Yes!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.