S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A happy little tale .. and sort of on topic. FAO Nanuq.  (Read 1280 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
A happy little tale .. and sort of on topic. FAO Nanuq.
« on: November 07, 2019, 09:15:28 AM »

Hi,

Quite a few years ago, and on another forum, I responded to a cry for help from a member who's S2 diesel peaked at 45mph. We got chatting off-site, and I learned that he had built/flew a 5ft wingspan Spitfire, had followed Fred Basset at boarding school, and used his S2 to go looking for "rare breeds". Seems normal for somebody who drives and old Land Rover. I asked him what rare breeds he was looking for?

TIGERS!

It dawned on me that my E-pal lived in India.; I promptly accused him of nicking my heritage ... Fred Basset indeed!.

Years passed, then one day Barbara screamed at me ( I was in the garden) that RITUL was on the phone.

He was driving up the M1 at the time (seemed very impressed with our traffic), heading North (Manchester?) to buy some gear cutting machinery for the family business. We had a good chat (probably illegally... but hey, if you can drive in Mumbai .....)

We'd been swapping jokes for years, as you do, but I been careful what I said, not knowing his religion, and didn't want to offend. One day I asked if he understood "blonde jokes", cos they don't have blondes in India. He agreed with my assumption, but one of his friends had dyed her hair blonde ... but when they went swimming, it was obvious she wasn't a real blonde. I promptly lifted my self-imposed censorship, and at the same time asked his religion.

He told me he was a JAIN. I'd never heard of that, so done a quick Google. Wow! What a code to live by. You'd best Google it for yourself.

I have a feeling that something similar is going to happen again ... if that's alright with you, Nanuq? Do you have "Irish " jokes in Alaska? Blonde jokes?

PS ... , Ritul now drives a Disco. "How the mighty are fallen!"

PPS ... Apparently they too have PMT in India, in spades. Nothing is taboo.

Dentman

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2297
  • .:
  • RIP
Re: A happy little tale .. and sort of on topic. FAO Nanuq.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 09:42:01 PM »

Nanuq is in Alaska, Canadians joke about "Newfies" from Newfoundland (where the Series II Land Rover is very popular   ;) )
Why Why Why Delilah ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: A happy little tale .. and sort of on topic. FAO Nanuq.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 05:28:33 AM »

Hi Dentman,

Ritul told me that "irish" type jokes abound in the Indian "caste" system. He says they are accepted in good humour ... and passed down the pecking order.

I read a Sci-Fi short story once. An Earth patrol met up with an alien space ship ... the first time that had happened. Both ships radioed home for instructions. It takes time for radio signals to travel vast distances.

While they were waiting, the two crews did what they always did in such situations .... swapped "naughty" jokes.

PS. If there are any "broad-minded" tractor enthusiasts here, send me a PM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.