S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fridges  (Read 1912 times)

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
Re: Fridges
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 05:27:45 PM »

Hi

50 year old metal Coleman ice chest with frozen milk jugs on the bottom to start, then I drink the nice ice cold water when its just about melted then buy ice from a service station. Usually the ice lasts 3 days if the food was all prechilled.

Victor

That's fine over there, but here in the UK you can't just buy ice at a service station.

More bigger supermarkets are now stocking ice cubes, usually around £1 for a 1kg bag, but you might have to shop around to find some.

However, for just a weekend I agree, and that's what I used to do before getting my compressor fridge - a couple of frozen 1.5l or 2l pop bottles don't take up much space in a coolbox and usually stay frozen for at least 2-3 days   :tiphat
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 05:30:16 PM »

I have been trying to find one for my camper van to replace the troublesome Electrolux 2 way. They seem to be the way to,go!

Just need to find the right size to fit hole.

Have a look at Vitrofrigo - I know someone who replaced his original Carawagon fridge with one and it fitted well.
I think the smaller ones have the compressor unit separate, but already plumbed in, so just need to find a small space for that as well.

Not cheap though!

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2022, 05:35:39 PM »

Thank you to all that replied. It gave me food for thought and my search was a long one. I looked at ads, reviews and videos and finally purchased one from Amazon.

Yes, that's the sort I was looking at for my new Carawagon - cheap, but the dimensions just don't work well in a Carawagon.
As they have the compressor at the end, rather than under the rear like Waeco etc., they are just a bit too long to fit.
If it were 50cm instead of 60cm, or even 55cm that would work!

There are quite a few sellers with the same one, around the same price, just branded to suit the seller.

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2022, 09:09:19 PM »

Thank you to all that replied. It gave me food for thought and my search was a long one. I looked at ads, reviews and videos and finally purchased one from Amazon. I've had it running in the kitchen for a test run. It comes with a 240volt transformer, dropping the volts down to 12. On the first night, it froze all the drink bottles I put in it. They are solid blocks of ice on a bottle. So now, over the weekend, I shall move it into the garage and start another test with just a fully charged leisure battery and see how long it'll run before it stops and saves the battery.
I'll report back soon.
I have an identical fridge, but I don't do Amazon. Got mine from Halfords with a two year guarantee.

Once set up, works well.
Tim

Fluffle-Valve

• Carawagon Owner
  • S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 2919
  • .:
  • So Love me, Love my Dogs.
    • Blogspot
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 10:31:53 AM »

I have an identical fridge, but I don't do Amazon. Got mine from Halfords with a two-year guarantee.

Once set up, works well.
Same Make? Or Identical under a different name?
This is my Dormawagon.

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2022, 08:39:22 PM »

Halfords own name on it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.