S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rover Series 2 - 65th Anniversary Bonnet Challenge.  (Read 4253 times)

S2C

Land Rover Series 2 - 65th Anniversary Bonnet Challenge.
« on: December 02, 2022, 09:58:16 PM »

Next year is the 65th Anniversary of the Series 2 Land Rover. To mark this event the collective ‘we’ at Series 2 Club Headquarters have set ourselves a challenge.

We intend to move a Series 2 bonnet all the way from Lands End, to John O Groats, ideally via the most westerly & easternly points possible on UK mainland enroute. The bonnet is to ONLY travel via Series 2 Land Rover throughout. No modern vehicles allowed. The bonnet can either be fitted to a vehicle, travel in a vehicle or ON a vehicle. No excuses. Ratchet strap it to the roof if you must (terms and conditions apply).

The upper surface of the bonnet will be divided into 20 equal sized areas, one for each Series 2 Club Area. As the bonnet passes through each geographical area of the club, it is entirely up to area in question to populate/paint/apply stickers/do what ever they like to their ‘patch’ on the bonnet. The idea being that the bonnet is a bit like a patchwork quilt when finished. If you require more surface area for your area, you will have to get imaginative with your sheet metal skills and engineer something that folds out and back in again onto your patch, and remember it must be safe and secure when fitted as a bonnet while driving!

Here are some of the benefits of this challenge.

1)   It is a good excuse for a road trip/adventure.
2)   Encourages members from adjoining areas to meet up
3)   Encourages healthy competition between areas
4)   Let’s us find out which area has the most vivid imagination and ultimately is a little bit crazy?!
5)   Gets us all out driving our Series 2 Land Rovers.
6)   Reminds us of the importance of a removal bonnet.

Now, although the bonnet is important, and there are certain milestones that we must strive to meet, the physical bonnet is not the focus. Really, we are interested in the ‘journey’ of the bonnet. Where has it been? What has it been used for? We need photos of people with the bonnet in weird and wonderful places, on or off the Land Rover. The story of the bonnet will be one of ‘who can take things to the next level’…

The journey of the bonnet along with its location will be tracked via the Club Forum & Social Media accounts.
We have not forgotten about International Areas. So, the view is to remove the Spare Wheel Mount from the centre of the bonnet, and possibly some hinges, and get these moving around the Rest of the World (Club Areas), so that they can arrive back in time to be assembled to the bonnet.

Constraints:
The bonnet WILL be on display at the Series 2 Club National Rally in August 2023.
The official finish for the bonnet will be to display at the NEC show in November 2023.
The bonnet needs to be arriving at John O Groats in July 2023.

April – To travel around Bristol/Severn Valley Areas

1st May – Bonnet officially enters Wales never to be seen again.

30th May – Bonnet hopefully appears out the top of Wales near Chester.

1st – 30th June – Bonnet moves up the west coast from Chester with the ultimate destination of Phil in Dumfries.

1st July – Bonnet begins its Scottish Adventure.

30th July – Bonnet has hopefully been to John O Groats, and on its way back down via the East Coast.

1st August – Series 2 Club Rally. – Bonnet travels the east coast of England at AO discretion ultimately ending up at the Series 2 Club Rally in the Peak District.

Mid August – Someone takes the bonnet home from the Rally and the bonnet is to conduct a clockwise loop of East Anglia and Central Shires finishing at the NEC in time for November.

As you can see, this is quite a tall order, so anything we can do to improve our timings early on gives the guys in Scotland much needed breathing space!!

Please think up your ideas and organise trips beforehand, and liaise with adjoining areas to hatch a plan.  Let’s get this bonnet greenlaning and out there exploring the world. Also, be sure to consider applying varnish to any artwork that you might apply. We fully expect the bonnet to pick up plenty of patina while in transit!

Bonnet is also allowed in pubs/kebab houses/deep puddles/nightclubs and even lent up next to a Series 1 - mind the paintwork!

At the end of the bonnet’s journey the club will auction the bonnet off for charity at the NEC.

Contact your Area Organiser if you would like to be involved with something crazy relating to this bonnet! :tiphat :essen :cheers

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
Re: Land Rover Series 2 - 65th Anniversary Bonnet Challenge.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 06:58:03 AM »

An unfortunate turn of phrase " 1st May – Bonnet officially enters Wales never to be seen again."  :shakeinghead

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 07:55:21 AM »

geoff, you and Richie have got a job on, club member Matt Reeves lives near Barmouth but I dont know if he has a working Land Rover..

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Supercal2007

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5376
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 09:39:00 AM »

Fantastic idea! Already thinking about the most outrageous places to take the bonnet! Well done for coming up with this plan.
Calum.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 12:36:40 PM »

"We have not forgotten about International Areas. So, the view is to remove the Spare Wheel Mount from the centre of the bonnet, and possibly some hinges, and get these moving around the Rest of the World (Club Areas), so that they can arrive back in time to be assembled to the bonnet.".

In light of the above, the 'pie dish' and four rubber buffers will be removed before the bonnet starts its trip round the country,
As these are to be reattached after the round Area trip has been completed, presumably the marking out will include these bonnet areas as 'International'?
Ditto the hinge areas.

Regards.

Supercal2007

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5376
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 01:05:52 PM »

Can we give the  bonnet a name?
I'll start it off with Bob.
 :-* Bob the bonnet  :-*

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 01:42:28 PM »

Benton, an anagram of bonnet?
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 02:18:16 PM »

Doesn't it need priming/undercoating first?
Tim

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 02:20:15 PM »

Bonnie.

Bonnie the bonnet.

Makes it female, so quite PC. I think.
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 02:35:16 PM »

geoff, you and Richie have got a job on, club member Matt Reeves lives near Barmouth but I dont know if he has a working Land Rover..

Peter

I'm aiming to have at least one functional Land Rover by the spring Peter and would certainly be up for getting it from Barmouth northwards, though if I'm in the Lightweight it might have to ride in the back!.

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 05:16:24 PM »

How about "Du-"?

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 12:57:02 PM »

So how is this going to be organised? is it upto the area reps to put the word out among members, or do members approach the area reps? I'm in the north Wales area but it seems pretty quiet, and anything that does happen is much further north.

I'd like to be involved with the bonnet challenge, I have some ideas on places it could go and it will also give me a deadline to have one of my projects completed! 

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 08:14:18 PM »

I'd be interested in in this Although I have a series 3 and it can't travel in my vehicle I'd certainly look at coming up with a route through our region if need be.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 09:00:07 PM »

If it went through either Blaenau Ffestiniog or Corris I could arrange a photo opportunity in one of the slate caverns.

Chris.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 06:01:28 PM »

If it went through either Blaenau Ffestiniog or Corris I could arrange a photo opportunity in one of the slate caverns.

Chris.

Perhaps I could get it from Corris to Blaenau, via  Castell y Bere and the Ffordd Ddu for some pictures? I don't know of any other members in this area but if there are maybe we could get a small convoy together?.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.