S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early S2 Radiator to fit SWB 1418 2L engine  (Read 265 times)

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
Early S2 Radiator to fit SWB 1418 2L engine
« on: May 16, 2023, 04:41:02 PM »

I took a punt on Ebay last week and bought a rare S2 radiator to fit an early 58 SWB petrol 2L engine, most radiators offered like this are actually S1 offerings.  the price was right so I thought I would take a chance.

What turned up was what was advertised even down to it having been recored a few years ago and then stored, not used.  I am really pleased because it is absolutely what I was looking for.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Oilyrag921

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 8113
  • .:
Re: Early S2 Radiator to fit SWB 1418 2L engine
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 08:37:41 PM »

Well done Peter, some ebay purchases can be a very pleasant surprise indeed. You were lucky to find your radiator.
  My S1 has the wrong engine (Perkins) so any radiator isn't really correct. It came fitted with a S3 rad (leaky) and extra pipework as neither of the top or bottom pipes are in the correct place for the engine. I ended up buying a Suzuki Vitara rad , which is about the same size and shape, although I have the problem of different diameter hoses which I have largely got around by using reducer hoses.
It all seems to work though which is what really matters.

KD1521

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7829
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 09:04:03 PM »

Evening Peter. Think you may have bought the one I saw on eBay. I mentioned it on the Facebook forum whilst asking questions about the rad I have which appears identical to yours. (If you have the one I saw!) I also raised the question on this thread titled Radiator Advice. I am fitting mine to a diesel. It appears to fit fine but I am having to fabricate an angle strip to bolt across the top to allow the four bolts to attach to the rad panel. I was worried as this angle was missing and I thought it was brazed to the rad. Have you managed to source Rad pipes and a cowl as they are still on my list. My engine is a 2.25 Diesel dressed as a 2L.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 10:27:16 PM »

The reason for buying the radiator is my 58 is currently fitted with a S3 diesel and the rad is a 1960 flat top either petrol or diesel (not sure which) which puts th bottom pipe on the wrong side for a 2L petrol.

It will be quite a while before I fit it as I am still in the process of collecting parts for the engine build.  Getting connecting pipes will not be a problem as they are the same as the S1.  The current rad doesnt have a cowl on it so i may fit the new rad without.  This new rad has cost less than I paid to have the 1960 one recored a few years ago.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.