S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rover owners who deplore Jeeps  (Read 13428 times)

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
Re: Land Rover owners who deplore Jeeps
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 09:21:57 AM »

I've always liked Jeeps, by which I mean the CJ's or soft-top Wranglers.  Though I hate the "brutish" look of super-wide wheels and too much chrome on some of them.

The first memorable toy my Dad bought me when he was demobbed after the war, was a metal
pedal-powered jeep replica, in dark green with a white star on the bonnet.  I was too young and weak to pedal it up the steep hill leading to our house, so my old boy had to carry it up.

The first time I sat in a Wrangler,  I was impressed with the comfortable seats and the ease of access and egress from the doorless cabin.  Sadly, never have had the chance to drive one, and now in my mid-seventies, I may never do so, but you never know...

So I certainly don't deplore Jeeps, or the various copies around the world (Mahindras, Jimneys,  etc), on the contrary, I feel a certain affinity with them.

Jonny72

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4370
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2019, 09:44:37 AM »

This was mine - loved it!

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 10:24:10 AM »

I always assumed the sledging of other fwd brands was just banter they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 01:18:42 PM »

I always assumed the sledging of other fwd brands was just banter they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

That's kinda how I took at it as well.  The banter between myself and some of the older jeep owners here in town can be quite fun.

The only, truly deplorable thing I hate about jeeps, and the same goes for Rovers, and Land Cruisers, and basically any other 4x4, including the trucks, all the STUFF some people add!!  Huge tires, enough LED lights to illuminate a small town and so on.  This type of thing is really, really bad here, but I haven't noticed it in pics of Rovers on your side of the pond all that much.

It reminds me of grade school kids who just have to have the biggest, baddest toy in the sandbox.  It doesn't help that there is a mantra going around here that's been here for a few years now - "go big or go home".  You should see some of the Rovers - especially the Defenders.  Come to think of it...when it comes to Rovers it's the Defender owners who do it the most.  But NOBODY can compete with the jeep owners!!    :-X:-X:-X
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 04:03:12 PM »

Hi,

Many years ago, my recently SWMBO (and nameless) told me that the rear seat thingies in the back of early (maybe all) Series Land Rovers, were a tax avoidance ploy. Proper seats would have made the truck liable for Purchase Tax.

She now claims no recollection of ever saying such a thing.

602 (Married to a "Revenue Woman")

PS,  Way back when, fitting seats in van made it liable for 25% Purchase Tax, unless they could be folded down, so as not to reduce the load capacity. I fitted folding rear seats from a 1950s Standard 8 into my Minivan, after chopping a bit off the load platform away, so make room for the passengers feet. If you can find a dead Standard 8 (I think the 10s had different seats), they could be a nice fit in a Series.

Do 2CV rear seats fold, or do you have to remove the entire seat to carry pigs?

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 05:26:09 PM »

That's kinda how I took at it as well.  The banter between myself and some of the older jeep owners here in town can be quite fun.

The only, truly deplorable thing I hate about jeeps, and the same goes for Rovers, and Land Cruisers, and basically any other 4x4, including the trucks, all the STUFF some people add!!  Huge tires, enough LED lights to illuminate a small town and so on.  This type of thing is really, really bad here, but I haven't noticed it in pics of Rovers on your side of the pond all that much.

It reminds me of grade school kids who just have to have the biggest, baddest toy in the sandbox.  It doesn't help that there is a mantra going around here that's been here for a few years now - "go big or go home".  You should see some of the Rovers - especially the Defenders.  Come to think of it...when it comes to Rovers it's the Defender owners who do it the most.  But NOBODY can compete with the jeep owners!!    :-X:-X:-X

I can assure you there are plenty of four wheel driver owners in the UK who fit your description above the "one life live it" sticker brigade 

Fluffle-Valve

• Carawagon Owner
  • S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 2919
  • .:
  • So Love me, Love my Dogs.
    • Blogspot
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 06:40:54 PM »

I can assure you there are plenty of four wheel driver owners in the UK who fit your description above the "one life live it" sticker brigade 
I hate that sticker.
This is my Dormawagon.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »

There's a million & one things I deplore more than Jeeps - that slogan being one!

:skol

Who's a then ?

Rambler

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5256
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 07:28:36 PM »

Life's too short to worry about who likes what and what it's called. Just enjoy what you do and try to have what you like.

^^^ I much agree. Yes my Series 2 has been called a Jeep and a truck, but we know what it is, and it is a fun, beautiful old land rover.  :cheers
Former custodian of:

- a 1957 Series 1, 88” with hard top
- Luna, a 1961 Series 2, 88” with full tilt (restoration completed in 2020)
- Tardis, a 1973 Series 3, 88” with hard top (last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas)

rowehillmaster

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »

Back in the eighties, I had so much fun in an original WW2 Jeep - fantastic bit of kit - if I could afford one I would far rather have that than my Land Rover ( I'm in the back behind the driver - nice hair !)

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »

That does look a lark, tho less so if its raining.. ;)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 02:14:10 AM »

if I could afford one I would far rather have that than my Land Rover

Hi Nice Hair,  :-X

If you don't need 4x4 capability. look at the Jago Geep kit car.

Same dimensions as the original Jeep, GRP body shell, sturdy RHS chassis, roll-over bar designed like they should be, will do a U-turn in your high street, and a Cortina 2000cc will leave black likes from the traffic lights. The mostest fun for the least bucks. Fit 185x14 tyres on Weller slot-steels. Pity, it might fit on an 80" chassis, but no room under the bonnet for a Land Rover engine (I though about it)

Should be cheap enough to run as your third car

I loved mine, but it wasn't suitable as the only car for a pair of civil servants with the 2.4 children. Does anybody have a pic?

PS Sudden loud bang, flash of light ... as the soft top blew off at 70mph, UPHILL. Hardtops and doors are/were available.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2019, 04:00:57 AM »

There's a million & one things I deplore more than Jeeps - that slogan being one!

:skol

Yup...it's run its course but just won't go away.
However, there is one that'sbeen around about as long, but I do get a chuckle from it...

"I get (got) your jeep thing, and now it hurts to p**!"

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2019, 07:00:09 AM »

Sadly, never have had the chance to drive one, and now in my mid-seventies,

Hi Crumbly,

You never know .....

I gave Barbara three laps each, in an Aston Martin, and a Ferrari, driving round Silverstone, for her 70th (or was it 71st) birthday. Only one problem ...

"Where's the gear lever?" :agh  She'd never met a paddle shift.

She hit 120mph ... declared that the Aston was "cumbersome" ... but still wants a Ferrari. Will she do it again? No! the "age cut-off" was was that birthday. (either 70 or 71)

Am I allowed to say this? There was a young black girl, also driving either one or both cars. She had the biggest and most beautiful smile I have ever seen. I think she enjoyed the experience.  Barbara's smile wasn't far behind.

PS. I've forgotten how to post Photobucket pictures.

rustynuts

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3380
  • .:
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2019, 11:13:08 PM »

The 'B' Vehicle Data Card for my 88 describes it as a "utility truck, general service (struck out by black marker pen), 1/4 ton 4x4, but to me it's just a rusty old Land Rover.

By the way, I have often thought of getting a sticker made up with a Hindu version of the old slogan saying "Many lives, live them all"   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.