S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why, why, why do POs think they can improve on ... er ... transfern gears?  (Read 1170 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:

Hi,

Maybe there is a reason why Land Rover chose to move a simple lever by means of a spring loaded, vertical rod under the red knob? It would be so much easier just to move the lever, instead of having to stop, and move the HI/LO lever forwards, then back again?

But then I remembered driving in Arabia in a Bedford RL 4x4 lorry. It was necessary to unwind the transmission by reversing fast, then slamming on the brakes, while simultaneously, de-clutching, and thumping the transfer lever. Strangely, the twenty odd passengers sitting in the back never complained.

I can't remember if the Bedford's (seperate) transfer box had a neutral between 2WD and 4WD. Can any Pongos here comment?

I suspect that the transfer box also had Hi and LO ratios, as I remember having to snatch LO cog when my truck ran out of power (in bottom gear) while driving up the side of a wadi. It was a long way down to the bottom. :agh The truck was virtually unladen (just a new tail-plane for a light aircraft that had "flipped" when landing in the Burami mountains).

From time to time, I ponder on whether a remote Bedford transfer box would fit under the tub floor of a 109", thereby allowing the use of a conventional AUTO gearbox. ??? I understand that the Lada Niva used a remote transfer box … but would it take the grunt from a Landy engine?

Does anybody know how Fords converted their Transits to 4WD?

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers

I have an "Easyshifter" transfer box, modified for single stick use.

I took it out of one of my early Land Rovers before selling it (replaced with a standard box), and it's still waiting in my workshop ready to go into one of my Carawagon projects.

I used it for a couple of years, including a couple of snowy winters, and really liked it.

HERE's a link to the info I have on it   :cheers

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Dutch109Diesel

• Chassis welder

quite like that idea. been looking for a system like that for years as one land rover magazine said it was a populair conversion.... but all the gearboxes i found never had them.

100+9

I want. The more obscure, the more I want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.