S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sankey - Normally I'd tell you a man can't have enough trailers.  (Read 5374 times)

100+9

Re: The Sankey - Normally I'd tell you a man can't have enough trailers.
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 10:03:43 PM »

That's a practical looking jobby Glen. Not the best pic, didn't take it minded to what I was towing. One of mine... an ex-Authority Richardson toolbox trailer. Made to the sort of quality only the local-council could afford to spec. 4-5mm plate.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2020, 05:13:11 AM »

Hi,

Er what is the "fall over" angle of an empty Sankey?

And when it is uniformly, and correctly, loaded with 750kg of 1500mm x 100mm x 100mm timber posts? (Assume timber has an SG of 1.)

Brain Storming. :stars  What size wheel + tyre wouild, if fitted, lower the draw-bar to "Civvy Ball +Pin" hitch" height when mounted on a Series 12" drop plate?

I'm sure that Weller can (or could) make smaller wheels, (white, with 8 slots), to fit Land Rover hubs? OK, the spare tyres would not be inter=-changable, but surely you wouldn't go on expedition, driving six wheels, carrying only one spare wheel?

Maybe a lo-profile "part- worn" from a modernish limo, could be fittes to a Sankey/Landy rim, to drop the height? And ULW?

It would make it more desirable to me, for urban use. Might look silly, tho. I'll get my coat.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2020, 05:28:27 AM »

Ahem!

Er ... I done a Google for "Range Rover low profile tyres./

How much would 40 profile tyres (new @ <£50) drop a Sankey? And how much would parabolic springs lift the Tug"?

Or maybe it's easiest to bolt a simple civvy pin hitch straight onto the chassis of a Series? Doh!

Could a 12" drop-plate and ball be used if fitted below the pin hitch mentioned above.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2020, 10:56:15 AM »

That's a practical looking jobby Glen.

Thanks. It’s really my brother-in-law’s, he bought it new in 89-ish. We have operated a “I pay for and carry out repairs in exchange for unlimited use” trade about with it for thirty odd years. He’s pretty much given up using it at all in the last five years or so (he’s pushing 80 now), and no longer has anything to tow it with. It’s in need of four new tyres (the ones on there are the second set) and a new floor/side boards. I’ll do it over the summer probably. It tows so nicely behind the 109” you barely know it’s there. Long enough to be easy to reverse, light enough to manhandle alone (lighter than a Sankey), holds 8’ x 4’ sheets flat on the floor and at 2000kg gross it’s perfectly matched to a Land-Rover. If it wasn’t for the fact that the local authorities won’t let it in the tip I’d have sold my small trailer years ago and just kept this one.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

100+9

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 09:59:36 AM »

Ah, yes. Had that issue. I've this camping-trailer for much the same reason. Local tip let me in with it, because being half-baked doesn't look 'commercial'.  Folds though, rolls down on castors, down an alley for example. Easy to store. My Duuo Plus...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.