S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick searches.  (Read 2272 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Quick searches.
« on: August 15, 2019, 03:22:58 AM »

Hi,

Probably everybody knows this already, but just in case ....

Instead of logging onto Google, just key the object of your desire into the title bar at the top of your screen. Don't make it too obscure first time.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Quick searches.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »

It's all to do with how you set up your computer...more precisely your preferred web browser.

We/I recommend Mozilla's Firefox  :first
But more likely the Opera browser will become the future as it offers free VPN (you can Google what that means and the privacy benefits thereof)

With these browsers you can choose what default program(s) you use for the search.
The default is to list all of them  :thud including those that carry spam ads and other rubbish, forcing you to websites they are paid to direct you to.

Therefore - get rid of the bloat, deselect them all, except for:-

1) Use Google (it's still one, if not the best)
2) Then Wikipedia

They are all you need ...
No point in listing/using the other search engines - cuts out a lot of unwanted $^£&*%

:-\
You know, I often wonder why there aren't night school or evening classes on how to setup your computer and get the best from it ???
Or sessions at the local library.
Maybe there are - it makes a big difference to your working efficiency to have your computer properly setup.

:geek
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 05:39:08 PM »

Maybe there are - it makes a big difference to your working efficiency to have your computer properly setup.

Hi Alan,

In a previous life, I struggled with a COBOL program (about 1,500 lines of coding (on punch cards) plus calling up several other big programs, with virtually no "mentoring".

Several years after my medical retirement ( :stars ) I met somebody who had sat near me. He commented "If we had known how complicated that program was, we would not have given it to you as your first project".

Thankyou very much! it would have been nice if my manager had asked me what my problems were.

Whatever, I did manage to get that program to crack it's own dumps ... made my life so much easier, sort of. I hate hexadecimal. So if the computer got into a never ending loop, as soon as the LOOP COUNT reached 99, I told it to GO TO DUMP, and print the  REASON WHY in the dump, but in CLEAR (or whatever they call it).

I still wake up screaming.  On the other hand, I've been drawing a pension since 1985, which didn't stop me taking other jobs ... renovating/building houses, breeding horses, rebuilding Series land Rovers, letting Barbara keep me ....

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 08:26:32 PM »

Error at line 38
Tim

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 09:29:02 AM »

It's all to do with how you set up your computer...more precisely your preferred web browser.

Hi Alan,

No offence, (apart from what I am inflicting on myself), I have not the faintest idea what you are talking about. Well, almost true!

Personal history (if anybody is interested ???) while learning to be a COBOL programmer at DVLA, I approached a friendly HEO ...

"Jeff, please help me. Either my head, or my stomach, is going to give up!"

Jeff knew what I was on about, but could not help, he wasn't my boss. My "boss" was a Systems Analyst, not a Programmer, and was too involved with implementing the Masterict (Sp & Pron?) Treaty.

One day, I just walked out, requested a medical retirement.

The Senior Shrink in South Wales (a lovely bloke) told me to "Get out of that job before you wake up one morning and find yourself a long way from home, with no idea how you got there."

I hope my little anecdote is a help to somebody else.

PS. Completely unrelated ... according to Google, Medical Malpractice claims have to be brought within three years, or, if the claimant is/was under 18 at the time of the malpractice, within three years of them becoming 18. B*****! So much for the advice to let your emotions calm down before taking any action.

Nowadays, if I feel bad, I just give Wilkie a kicking. He should be available on the NHS.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 09:31:20 AM »

Hi Alan,

Sorry, that went way OT.

I will give myself a good frowning.

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »

:-\
You know, I often wonder why there aren't night school or evening classes on how to setup your computer and get the best from it

Fair comment Alan.  When I bought my MacBook I had never used an Apple Operating System before, other than some desultory prodding on SWMBO's i-Pad.

But I found that the Apple Stores were excellent at running all sorts of courses that get you up to speed, and help you set up your Mac just how you want it.  They also run courses on using i-phones and i-pads as cameras, and how to upload, download and generally tinker with the all resultant photos.

But of course, you have to want to use Apple products rather than Microsoft, and not everybody wants to do that.....

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 07:05:59 PM »

The kids in the Apple stores are most helpful & brilliant.

Apple run all sorts of workshops for all their devices for users at all levels and ages ... you book in online.
You can also have a 1-2-1 if you are particularly struggling.

One reason why I use Apple devices  :first

I'm not aware that other computer sellers/manuafactrures come anywhere close to Apple.

:geek
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.