S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: OT ANPR camera?  (Read 4568 times)

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
OT ANPR camera?
« on: August 17, 2019, 06:02:16 PM »

I have a  (slightly) better pic of the camera? at the end of my road. One local reckons it is an ANPR camera. Any thoughts?
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
Re: OT ANPR camera?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »

Wonder if you can spray paint from a drone  ;)
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 06:22:53 PM »

I thought we concluded on the old forum that it is an air quality monitoring station.

Unless you live on a very main road the one thing it's not is an ANPR setup  :shakeinghead

:gatso
Who's a then ?

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 06:34:14 PM »

If you study the picture you can see a pair of (stereo?) lenses, and a cut out in the grill for them. If this was for checking air quality I would not have thought a cut out in the grill would be required. I will make further enquiries, and get a better picture, this was with the sun behind it, so in part silhouette.

Simon K.

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2721
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »

Would it have needed planning permission?, anything on local council planning website?

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 06:45:58 PM »

OK, after a bit more googling I have the answer. The local roads have recently been reduced to a 20mph speed limit. I have just found this on the local paper's website:

On several roads where 20mph has already been implemented, the council has installed number plate recognition speed displays, which record drivers' speeds, data which the council says can be passed to the Met.

There is also one of those speed check displays just before  this camera. While waiting for a bus I regularly see it clocking cars at 50mph and more. :agh

Big brother is watching you ...

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 06:56:46 PM »

Wow

I knew they were being talked about - don't let our parish council know  :shakeinghead

armalites

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 09:51:48 PM »

OK, after a bit more googling I have the answer. The local roads have recently been reduced to a 20mph speed limit. I have just found this on the local paper's website:

On several roads where 20mph has already been implemented, the council has installed number plate recognition speed displays, which record drivers' speeds, data which the council says can be passed to the Met.

There is also one of those speed check displays just before  this camera. While waiting for a bus I regularly see it clocking cars at 50mph and more. :agh

Big brother is watching you ...

I think what happens in these situations is the same as community speed checks, drivers get a warning letter saying they were flagged as speeding. If there are persistant offences at certain times then the police or mobile cameras will then do enforceable checks

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »

Hi,

In order to be acceptable in court, speed cameras need to be checked daily, requiring a police car with an accurate speedometer to drive past the camera, every morning, at a specified speed.

When speed cameras were first introduced, there was a story about a young lad standing in front of a camera, whirling a bean can on a bit of string round his head.

In a similar sort of vein, in the early days of DVLC, it was suggested that ADP problems would be best sorted by not trying fix them. Just let them run, and the "ignorant" girls on the keyboards would work out a solution. Many a true word ....

PS, When I had a DVLA data input team (70 militant ladies) I devised a system that enabled me to guickly identify "patterns" .... two ladies who regularly went to the "Ladies" at the same time, or regularly pulled a Sicky on the third Tuesday of every month, etc.

I didn't implement it, their lives were too controlled as it was (big softy, me) ... although if they finished a batch, and there was no work waiting, they were allowed to sit at their machines, and do their catalogs, etc. But instant recovery as soon as the next batch of work arrived. If my memory is correct, they were expected to maintain 13,000 keystrokes per hour, and allowed a set number of mistakes. (2 per 1000? One lady was a trouble maker .... 36,000 keystrokes per hour and zero mistakes. She spent so much time walking to get her next job, that she didn't spend enough recorded time actually keying. Solution ... she was allowed to pick up three jobs at a time, cut down on the walking.

36,000 keystrokes per hour? I'll let you calculate how many characters she keyed per second ... virtually non-stop, all day, with no mistakes. Mistakes were identified by a second operator keying the batch again, and the CPU compared the two inputs, stopped the keyboard until the discrepancy was corrected, either way. OK, it could be corrected incorrectly. Sorry!

Remember this, next time you scribble your details on an application form.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 09:05:27 AM »

Blimey 602 we'll have to call you "Big Brother"... :agh

Gylo

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4368
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »

What is the situation with advanced warning signs ?
1963 series 2a swb
1967 series 2a swb
1964 bsa

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 10:43:17 AM »

What is the situation with advanced warning signs ?

For what ?

not needed for data collection but, unfortunately, are for speed cameras (which defeats the point of course).

Sorry, but there is an easy remedy for not getting done for speeding. I will leave you to guess what it is  :)
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »

OR

Turn it on its head - use F1 technolgy.

Put a detector/sensor in the vehicle and use the ECU to restrict the speed when the vehicle runs over a wire in the road.
That's cheapper than errecting unsightly camera poles all over the place.

And a with sensors in the road you can have variable limits to relate to weather conditions and whether school is sitting.
With a 5g data network controlling this would be a sinch.

But of course they would loose the money generated from fines -  :shakeinghead
So it ain't going to happen.

mistericeman

• Chassis welder
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »

OR

Turn it on its head - use F1 technolgy.

Put a detector/sensor in the vehicle and use the ECU to restrict the speed when the vehicle runs over a wire in the road.
That's cheapper than errecting unsightly camera poles all over the place.

And a with sensors in the road you can have variable limits to relate to weather conditions and whether school is sitting.
With a 5g data network controlling this would be a sinch.

But of course they would loose the money generated from fines -  :shakeinghead
So it ain't going to happen.

It might be happening sooner than you think....
As 'self driving' technology rolls out I suspect we will see more and more of active integration of speed limit sensitive software (JLR are already well on with this... As are teslar, audi etc etc)

Expect fines to increase for infringements though.... Just to balance the books.

Gylo

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4368
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 11:23:26 AM »

For what ?

not needed for data collection but, unfortunately, are for speed cameras (which defeats the point of course).

Sorry, but there is an easy remedy for not getting done for speeding. I will leave you to guess what it

Sorry I only asked
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.