S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About this section  (Read 1162 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
About this section
« on: August 03, 2019, 12:04:38 PM »

Tell about your restorations here ...

:RHD
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: About this section
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 07:11:28 PM »

Hi Alan,

As you are aware, I am in the process of acquiring an S2 4x2. I don't know if you know of this particular vehicle, nor if it's ethical to talk about it before actually taking over keeper-ship. ???

I think you are aware of my problem of getting the seat lower, to make things easier for Barbara to climb into it (her operation has been suspended until she takes up walking again ... she can't use either type of crutch. She cannot self-propel a wheelchair by hand, so has to foot-paddle it,  She cannot lower her right hand to below waist level, nor lift it above shoulder level. A 4" high step is a major challenge. I'll let you guess the rest the other problems. She is close to having just one usable limb, but still drives a manual, although she is becoming less resisting to getting an auto.

Right, "my" new S2.  It's a 4x2, delivered to the army.(I can understand the RAF wanting 4x2s to replace their "Tillies" on tarmac. But why the Army). Am i right in believing that the Navy ordered some Mini Mokes?)

It  will come without an engine, although an engine is available, but an unknown quantity. I anticipate that most of my usage will be within Milton Keynes. I expect Barbara to drive it from time to time ... she's driven all my other Series, and my Disco. She didn't drive my 2.2 diesel Austin Champ, but I can see no reason why she couldn't, subject to climbing in.

Lower the seat? Just fit a set of Weller steel-slots, 14" diameter, on 185 x 14 tyres, and a RR diff. I haven't done the math yet. Would 13" wheels go over 10" drums? Or disc brakes ... I know there was a wheel problem when fitting discs to a Series ... Disco steels were necessary.

I haven't yet done the math, but I understand that, historically, Series Landies have been competed using MGB engines. The MGB is the same as the Marina 1.8 TC. There was an SC version. I  once had a Marina, (can't remember what engine it came with), that I permed "any 2 from 4". At various times I ran that car or engines from both 1.3 and 1.8 (both using the gearbox it came with), And again, the differentials from both cars. I only needed a set of spanners for both transplants.

According to RSSOC (I think), any Ford gearbox would fit any Ford engine ... including an Anglia 105E gearbox onto a Granada V6 engine. If a V6 Ford can be fitted to a Series gearbox, using an adaptor, does it follow that the a 4-pot Ford will fit, using the same adaptor?

I know the Rover 2000 P6 engine has been fitted into an S1.  (Would that be using the Rover V8 adaptor? Or is it easier than that?) The P6 would pull the Series OK on 6.00 tyres, but was over-geared when on 7.50s.  As said earlier, I will be dropping the wheel size by two inches (or possibly more). Where's my calculator?

I will be reluctant to make any changes that will be irreversible. Apart from the ergonomics, my requirement will be for a "traffic light sprinter". When departing my daughter's estate, I have to plunge into 60mph rush-hour traffic ...I wind Barbara's Hyundai up to 7000rpm  in first, yank it into 2nd, and hit 60 before braking for the nearby roundabout. As yet, nobody has got close to me being in their way.

Your comments will be appreciated and considered.

HTH

John 602
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.