S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EXEMPTIONS ... SUSPENDED THOUGHTS  (Read 940 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
EXEMPTIONS ... SUSPENDED THOUGHTS
« on: May 12, 2020, 11:40:31 PM »

It is highly unlikely that a coil-sprung vehicle can claim to be a “Series 2” or claim MoT exemption.

Hi,

Hmmm!

It's late at night, and I have not thought this through ... nor counted the potential points loss.

When the EXEMPTION RULES , SVA, etc were first published, I briely brooded of cobbling Jaguar IRS suspension at both ends.  :agh

Briefly, the idea was to hang sub frames from the four spring eye, and shackle holes, at each end of the chassis. A Jag IRS differential is bolted underneath a simple cross member. Four bolts. Memory says there is a single wishbone bolted to the diff casing, on both sides. The fixed length propshaft (can't remember how many UJs) stops the upright falling over, and acts as the second "wishbone". Jaguars had a single tie-rod from the upright to somewhere further forward. I'm uncertain if the tie-rod was necessary on a small engined kit-car, such as a T-bucket. Suspension by "coils over shockers.  Whatever, a very simple arrangement. I'm guessing that Google will have a picture of Jaguar IRS set-up.

At the front end, a normal FWD/IFS system, but the propshafts will vary in length as the wheels lock over, so the upright will need to be controlled at top and bottom. Or will they?

It's probably time to wind my neck in, and go to bed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.