S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modification score>  (Read 1932 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Modification score>
« on: March 13, 2020, 09:07:21 AM »

You are going to have to be careful that you don't fall foul of the DVLA's modified vehicle rules and you will certainly not be MOT exempt.

Hi,

The above question was asked on an insurance thread, by another forum member.

Can anybody remind me, (and others,) what points get for each of the major components?

I know the chassis/body is worth 8 points out of 13, and must either be the original OR a NEW replacement. I think the engine is worth one point.

Yes I can look it up, but it's the second matter that I haven't seen any mention of ....

A couple of weeks ago, Saturday's newspaper (can't remember which  ... Telegraph of Mail) reported that old vehicles will no longer be MOT exempt. }There has been a resounding silence. Does anybody know anything?

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
Re: Modification score>
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 09:28:20 AM »

Chassis, unmodified, 5 points.
Axles, both, 2 points.
Steering, unmodified, 2 points.
Suspension, all, unmodified, 2 points.
Gearbox, 2 points.
Engine, 1 point.

You need a total of eight, five of which must come from the chassis.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 09:35:00 AM »

Hi,

I done a quick Google (all by myself, even) and found this ...

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2019/05/0185/MOT-Exemption-of-Historic-Vehicles-a-warning-from-the-FBHVC

The interesting reading is dated 2018, (I'm not sure what it says). The relevant stuff is way down the page , on a letter from TR Club (I think_)...

Me? My plans at present  involve changing the engine, and hopefully fitting "roller skate" wheels.  I think, under the old points system, an engine is worth one point (???), and wheels are not "expressly" mentioned. Could it be implied that wheels are "transmission" and/or "suspension" ... and if so, are they one item or four?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 09:56:21 AM »

Hi John
You need to go to the DVLA web site section on kit cars and rebuilt vehicles. 
Download the guidance and read at your leisure, if you modify the chassis you can lose the 5 points.
Unfortunately the guidance is as clear mud.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:31:10 AM »

Regarding MoT exemptions ...

Our Chairman wrote our best advice in the Summer issue of B2L, page 13.
To be read in conjunction with a simple flow chart, posted below.

Our "best" ever forum topic - 49 pages, 1500 replies was posted on the old forum ...
HERE
(anyone having trouble sleeping would be best advised to start reading this...  :sleep )

Step outside of our guidelines and you are on your own - the club cannot support you.
This would include fitting a BMC 1300 engine or an MGB engine into a Series 2 Land Rover  :shakeinghead

The fitting of an electric motor pack and retaining "Vehicle of Historic Interest" debate is yet to come.
Common sense would dictate that this would be a good thing, keeping our old vehicles running on the road and being environmentally friendly. One can see the Tax and MoT exemption to include Historic vehicles converted to electric power.

I think the FBHVC guidance is clear.

Frankly I don't care what other car clubs do or say.

Since all the fuss when exemption came in (Spring 2018) interest in this has died down.
We've been through 2 annual cycles since - it's causing no problems, can't see why HMG would revoke the exemption.

Series 2 owners - club members have gotten their heads round this by now.
Some get their vehicles MoT'd - some don't.

:MoT
Who's a then ?

stuart

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5066
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 10:40:46 AM »

so my understanding when it comes to land rover is that

tdi is ok , parabolic springs are ok and disk breaks are ok , as its still a series 2 at heart is just goes and stops better

Roger

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5652
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 10:52:38 AM »

I think it's worth noting that FIVA, the world governing body for historic vehicles, of which the FBHVC is a member, have stated categorically that a vehicle converted to electric power will no longer be considered a historic vehicle.  This could have implications for exemptions in the future.  It's also worth noting that FIVA, although based in Europe, is nothing to do with the EU but is a worldwide organization - e.g. the US historic vehicle movement, the HVA, is also a member.
It's a view I personally agree with - taken to the extreme, I believe that a 250GTO that hums quietly instead of emitting a V12 howl has lost its soul - I don't care how much faster it is.  That is very much my personal view and I fully accept that others may think differently.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 11:04:49 AM »

Hi Stuart
I think you are mixing up MOT exemption requirements and the points system for a V62 built up vehicle/kit car registration.

Peter

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »

Interesting about electric vehicles, do the electric conversion kits for say LRs and Moggy Minors render them no longer historic and subject to tax and mot then?....in which case I definitely wouldn't bother !

Roger

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5652
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 12:03:36 PM »

No, they are still exempt as UK regs allow one major change.  Whether they will stay exempt or not in the long run depends.
I can't see why people are bothering, though - I suspect it's a metropolitan thing for those who like to be seen in a trendy old car but know nothing about them - and have bucketloads of money.  These converted cars are definitely not cheap - I wouldn't pay 80-odd K for any MGB, and use things like Nissan Leaf battery packs, at 18K a pop to replace.
As time moves on it may be that the government take a closer look at what counts as historic, for revenue reasons etc.   And a sensible government (yes, I know) would take advice from people who know, and for what it's worth FIVA is the most authoritative historic vehicle organization in the world.  That's not me making any judgements, it's just me stating the case.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 12:32:41 PM »

Fair enough ! It was more out of interest, I certainly wasn't going to get one of those elec kits at ten grand a time..!
Anything like that for me would have to be a diy job using scrap parts for pennies.. ;)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 09:28:37 AM »

Hi,

I've just clicked on here, and found a lot of mails that I have no recollection of seeing previously.

Senility? PC mucking me about?

My latest findings seem to indicate you need the mandatory chassis (or body-chassis if a single item) plus two other items from the list (all items having the same status/points ... two points).

Hmmm! If original axles are not mandatory ... visions of a Landy tricycle.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.