S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WANTED - An old Series clutch friction plate. Or something else, if it fits ....  (Read 6636 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:

PM with my address sent two minutes ago.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!

Got that,  will sort you one out asap..!

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:

I found one..just for the record, they do indeed fit on the spline of the input shaft, as I tried it on!
..Just posted it so should arrive early next week in theory..

Dentman

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2297
  • .:
  • RIP

What's it doing on the roof  ???
Why Why Why Delilah ?

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:

Hoping to become a helicopter.... ???

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

Hi,

Thanks for all the interest and support.

A couple of comments about comments that have been made.

"It will never be finished!"

An RAF Flight Lieutenant made the same comment when I pulled the rear axle off a Lancer Side-Loading Fork Truck in Malaya. (You've seen the photos). WRONG!  The replacement axle was delivered by Air Mail (courtesy of BOAC) ... at a shipping cost roughly equal to my annual salary, and I fitted it.  :neener

"Get a gang of mates round ..."  That would not have been a problem in South Wales. A couple of phone calls at 2AM would produce a "heavy mob", by return.

It would be fair to say that every single one of my "local" friends (bar one) was at the pub on Tuesday. I can only be certain of one who could be called on in an emergency ... that is not to denigate (sp?) the others, it's just that I don't know them that well. And yes, I feel there are others on this forum I could call on, but they live a long way away.

I project managed (and laboured) the building of my 3-storey. 2,500 sq.ft, "edifice" in the Swansea Valley, from first doodles, thru' barrowing 250 6" thick concrete blocks onto site early each morning, installing the plumbing and central heating, and moving the furniture in.  My "blockie" drove the school bus, my plasterer was a local fireman, and my electrician taught the trainees at the Ford Axle Plant.

If I want to finish a job, it will be finished.

PS ... the "bar one" is actually a friend of my daughter. I don't know if she works alongside my daughter, or "to" her ... it doesn't seem to matter. If we need help, she is there. My daughter is a bank manager ... 20 years ago she was a "fish wife" (helping her husband manage a wet fish shop, including doing the messy stuff). Convention doesn't seem to run in our family.

PPS. Totally irrelevant, our next door neighbour, in MK, is a Hindu (not sure if that is relevant either)  Wilkie is the first/only dog he has ever touched.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden

Hi John

What is your experience of our club?

I know enough members of your local area even though I live in Lancashire to be sure that if an "older" member asked for help they would be round there like a shot.  You know Dave Gibson quite well, Russ Beck has already offered.

I think the problem is that having been self sufficient for so many years you are embarrased to ask for help.  I bet there have been loads of times when the opposite has happened where you have helped others who you may not know well.

I suspect many of your local area would be uspet at the thought that you didnt know them well enough to ask for help.

We are the sort of club whose members offer help to anyone.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:

I'm sure Peter is right and you could summon a crew from here if needed....however I also tend to do stuff solo, many of my old mates have moved far away now,  ones that I could've called upon at any time day or night!
Now if you want me to make up a "top hat" shaped bit of bar, drilled to suit the flange, with a sq. drive socket end of your choice, or whatever, welded to the end.( for the winding it along plan! )..let me know and I'll bodge something and post it to you.. ;)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

Hi Peter x 2.

Thank you for your kind words. I wasn't criticising anybody ... more myself for not knowing how to ask for help ... and coming in "too hard" when I do.

I think I'm on good scrounging terms with "Gibbo" (and Mrs Gibbo), and E-pals with "Eve" (for reasons that I won't go into here).

But frankly, on a flat surface, I can hand-crank at about half a walking speed, probably faster with a cordless drill (if I had a big one), and faster still I used my "breaker" drill on an extension lead.

Kerbs will not be a problem ... I couldn't stop my S2TD climbing over 4" concrete blocks when I was trying to undo the big bolt in the front of the crank-shaft.

I'll see how I go, come back if I think there is going to be a problem.

Thankyou all, again. Watch this space.

Porkscratching ... Thankyou for the machining offer. I may well take you up on it. I'll come back to you when I have the drive-flange in my hand.

Can old sockets be brazed or welded to MS? n The clever way would be to turn down the drive flange,m weld an old socket on the small end. I'll save that idea for future development.

Er ... milling six flats ... or even 12 splines ... would facilitate using a suitably sized
socket, with extension bars, and ratchet.  Thinks, what I need is is a double length starting handle .... dream on!

Thankyou, everybody, again.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden

Drive flange with tube welded on, then socket welded on end of tube long extension through bumper to whatever you are going to use for motive power.  They only problem will be the length of unsupported shaft between the gearbox and the bumper.

Peter

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

Hi Peter,

Many yonks ago, I fabricated a cranking handle,(standard length) out of two lengths of 16mm MS round bar,

The "crank" was about 8" of 25 x 25 x 3mm thick "box section", drilled through 16mm at each end. The "bars" were welded into the holes, to provide the necessary Z-shape.

OK, a ratchet bar will probably be OK, for the task in hand, but a crank-handle shape wound be better/faster. I'm pondering on using a length of pipe, with a spline welded on one  end, and two slots cut in the other, to accept the pins on the end of a standard cranking handle. The slots will need to be deep/long to reduce the wobble factor.  Hmmm! Wittsend, I'll trade you the production rights  for that "forum" that you are trying to unload. :-X

Sensibly,  drilling through the pipe. well in from the end would make more sense. Pull the pin out of the end of the crank handle and shove the emasculated end well into the longer pipe until the holes line up ... and inset a "gim pin"  ( 1/4" split pin may suffice, there is virtually no torque required ...on the flat.)

PS ...my daughter (pron "dafter" rhymes with "laughter") ... visiting for her weekly dust through ... has just informed me that she and Barbara have sorted my Photobucket log-on problem. Don't you just hate it when .....?

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:

I've welded sockets to bits of ms tube or bar etc etc to make "specials" before,  I just thought something you could simply bolt to the flange and terminate with the squre drive end of a socket might be the easiest solution to make "off site"!...anyway have a look at the flange and  let me know if you want something bodged/created !. ;)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

Hi Peter,  (it is Peter, isn't it?)

Thankyou for your latest offer of assistance.

I anticipate that I will not be taking you up on it, at least this time round ... the time consumed in construction would out-weigh any savings.

However, for the future benefit of our members, a large "long nut" welded to  suitable "female" splines (clutch or drive flange) might be useful. I doubt that I am the only member who would benefit from such a tool.

An idle thought, possibly worthy of further"navel contemplation".... Instead of a nut welded to your afore-mentioned flange, how about drilling one central hole, and welding in the female end from a sacrificial, 1/2"drive extension bar?

For future reference, I will investigate the supply and cost of clutch centre splines ... just to pass the time, you understand.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:

Indeed, I was envisaging  welding the square drive end of a 'sacrificial' socket  to something, either tube or suitably shaped fabrication , that could be  simply bolted to the hub flange via a couple of tabs suitably drilled to match etc,  enabling you to spin the whole thing with extension bars whatever, as you describe.
Anyway when the flange arrives, have a look and I'll gladly make something for you if you wish, no probs... ;)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the offer of help, which I would gladly take you upon, but I think I can now do most things for myself ... perhaps barring weldiing an old socket to the MS "plate".

When I've finished the drawings, I'll try to post them on here.

Er ... did I forget "something"? My mind is blank ... it's an age thing. I think it involved the number "3". ???

HTH

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 17 queries.