S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Local knowledge needed. Pt, No. 8566  (Read 1709 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Local knowledge needed. Pt, No. 8566
« on: March 16, 2020, 06:27:01 AM »

Hi,

Many of you will be aware of my plans to hand crank my next project around my front garden, as it does not have an engine.

I am currently working on the drawing of an adaptor plate which will bolt onto a splined axle drive-flange  from a Series axle. I have been assured that the splines are the same as the splines on a Series gearbox primary (aka "clutch") shaft.

The Mk.1 version of my "adaptor" involved cutting a 1/2" square hole in the middle of the plate, to accept the square end in my socket extension bar(s). Apart from anything else, that would involve too much space being taken up with dimensions on the drawing (A4 paper), and would require "precision" :whistle drilliing and filling.

My questions ...

What is the diameter of the spigot on the end of the gearbox primary/clutch shaft? (Would I have to over-drill the nut?

This morning's version (Mk.2) will involve welding a "long" nut over the centre hole, thus requiring the threaded hole to be big enough to pass over the spigot on the end of the primary/clutch shaft.

"Long nuts" are available from Ebay, for not a lot of money,  though "shipping" a single nut might hurt, just a little. It crossed my mind that S2s used double ended long nuts to hold the wheels on, so a single nut could be added to my next 'addock's order, and would already be chamfered ready for welding.

My questions ...

1. What is the diameter of the spigot on the end of a Series primary/clutch shaft? I assume that all Series were the same diameter?

2. Series 1, and I think Series 2, used double ended 15/16" AF "long" wheel nuts.  Series 3 (and 2A ???) used 1.1/16"AF nuts ... but were they "long and double ended"?

3. Doh! It's probably easiest to weld an old 1/2" drive socket to my tool ... assuning the chrome vanadium is compatible with welding to mild steel. But I'd still like to know the diameter of a clutch shaft spigot ... probably easiest to buy a bush ... unless somebody here ...  :o ... ?

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
Re: Local knowledge needed. Pt, No. 8566
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 07:40:43 AM »

Why not weld a long socket to the centre of an old clutch plate?

You could even use one of these:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/pro200-drive-extendable-ratchet/

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:58:38 AM »

Not sure where I robbed the image below from or if its absolutely accurate, but this might help with your wheel nut query. If the author is on here, the credit is due to you - not me... !
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 08:18:30 AM »

^^^^Very usefull, printed, laminated and in the folder :tiphat

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 08:23:20 AM »

I can measure the shaft for you later, I'm elsewhere right now...., as you know, I have a scrap one used for clutch centering...
I'd still make up a seperate unit to simply bolt to the flange if it were me!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 11:32:01 AM »

Why not weld a long socket to the centre of an old clutch plate?

Hi Formally,

If you'd been paying attention  :whistle, I have already asked , on this forum, if anybody had an old clutch plate. "No answer!" was the stern reply. (That's not exactly true ... but I think it's funny.)

If I still lived in the Swansea Valley, I'd have nipped down to K&J Hoses, who are able to cobble up "special;" clutch plates from new parts. Enquiries about a similar service in MK provoked a few blank faces. Similar enquiries on this forum resulted in the postman knocking on my door, and handing me a hub drive flange. I ain't going to change my loyalties at this stage of the game. Maybe next time.

Whatever ... it seems that new clutch "centres" are available if you know where to look ... which I don't. And yes, I agree that a clutch centre plus a suitably sized socket is the best way of doing the job ... if you live in the Swansea Valley.  :cheers

Er  ...  "long socket"?  A standard length socket would be adequate. Its cranking said socket, when its hung on the gearbox splines, when standing  in front of the front bumper, is my problem. I don't have vehicle to measure at present. Do I have enough extension bars? Dunno! It might become a case of buying one or more 12" extensions OR a metre of 1/2" square bar. I have not checked my socket box, nor the price of 1/2" square bar. I haven't touched a spanner, in anger, since mid-2018.

And then I'm going to have to cobble a looooooong crank handle. How long? Dunno!  My next job is to scale it off the Coachbuilder's Drawing. I'll let you know.  Should I bend up the necessary crank out of 1/2" square bar ... and wreck my hand. Or cobble a crank-handle out a 12mm round  bar, and devise a way of it turning a square drive socket. (remembering that the hole in the front bumper is clearance on a crank handle's 5/8" or 16mm diameter)

Back to the drawing board.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 12:31:30 PM »

Can't help but think it will be easier to push it where you need it with the hand of a couple of friendly neighbours or local Land Rover owners?

Craig.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 03:38:20 PM »

Can't help but think it will be easier to push it where you need it

Hi Craggie,

I'd probably agree with you ... if I was still living in the Swansea Valley.

That's not to say that people are different in the Midlands, more a matter of my "social standing" being less well developed ... a mixture of the nearest club member living about 5 miles away,  not having lived here for very long, it's a posher area, and my great age does not make new friends easier to find. Nor does having a wife who is reluctant to go visiting ... in case she meets steps.

Anyway, I anticipate that I will want to hand crank the truck around the garden several times, before I'm finished. In a previous existence, I would have done jobs like this with my Suzuki 250cc 4x4 Quad. ... the Grey Fergie would have been to awkward.

When I was building my "edifice" (that's how the Chairman of the Local Planning Committee described it), I bought ten new wheel barrows, and paid the local unemployed youths to empty the three cement tankers queuing up in the lane. I doubt that that would go down well in Milton Keynes. Nor would pushing my luck with the "Planners" ... I'm amazed with what I got away with ... the best part of 50ft of "dropped kerb", for instance.  And Planning Permission to erect a 60ft x 20ft , agricultural, block built, shed (to in-Winter my non-existent sheep - but I had several horses) ... on common land.  :agh

But thanks for your thoughts.

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 03:50:32 PM »

My idea simply was that you could wind the socket attached to the clutch plate with a long ratchet handle from beside the vehicle.  1 metre long ratchet - for both leverage and convenience.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 12:05:12 PM »

The spigot on the end of the shaft is according to Moore & Wright  0.878...or  22.3 mm
The shaft I'm measuring is a bit bashed and rusty as it's just my clutch alignment tool so varies along its length by a gnats cock..not massively important for your purpose tho..
No a huge amount of suitable scrap it could see at work but I'm sure I can bodge something to bolt to your flange if you have a final answer as to what attachment you want on the end !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 20 queries.