S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DATA? ON TOPIC, BELIEVE IT OT NOT.  (Read 1678 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
DATA? ON TOPIC, BELIEVE IT OT NOT.
« on: April 27, 2020, 09:28:18 AM »

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can  a chart listing the TURNS PER MILE for all (or even just lots of) popular tyre sizes. Specifically, I'm looking for Morris Marina 1800, Cortina 2000, and Rover P6 2000 ... and of course, 205-16. I need these to do the calculations for my quadraplegic project.

Yes, Google will find then for me (though not as easily as you'd expect), but from different sources - which might or might not be consistent. Similarly, if I have the tyre's overall diameter, I can calculate the TPM, but again, are the base datas consistent ... and does it really matter?

Does anybody know if there is/are any similarities between the engine to gearbox fittings, Rover 2000 P6. and the Rover V8? Will the V8 adaptor accept the 4-pot?

I believe that any Ford engine will fit any Ford gearbox (but don't get pedantic). There was a story about a breaker trying to sell an Anglia gearbox to a young lad with a Granada. YES, it will fit, but ....! If correct, that could mean that I want a "Ford V6 to LR" adaptor, in order to fit a Cortina engine (avoiding emissions problems) but nobody seems to be making this conversion any more ... unless you know different?

I once dropped a Cortina 2000cc engine into a Reliant Scimitar GTE that Barbara had "cooked". She'd forgotten my instructions to STOP as soon the heater blows cold. Not a difficult conversion, but it was like driving with permanent overdrive, and no bottom gear. Best avoid hill starts when you have a caravan on the hook. I sold the car to a bloke who had just written off his V8 Scimitar, so everybody was happy.

Oh yes, would you believe the Pinto engine was wider than the V6. Not quite true ... the solenoid on the side of the starter motor was "much too close enough" to the N/S chassis rail. I had to do some adroit nudging. I was reluctant to drill the end plates so that I could twist the starter case and other end plate round a few degrees.  I managed to swing both engines (not at the same time) in and out, using a 750kg boat winch ... that's pulling, not lifting  ... hung in the middle of a 15t length of 9" x 2" timber beam.  I'm reluctant to repeat that. Barbara bought me a 1-ton chain hoist for my birthday (81st) and then went po-faced when I mentioned I needed some timber. A couple of days sulking should bring her round (and maybe I'll take her shopping for an electric wheelchair ... if the shop is open).

Dormy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6632
  • .:
  • Sleeping on the job....Zzzzzz
Re: DATA? ON TOPIC, BELIEVE IT OT NOT.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 03:49:37 PM »

Does anybody know where I can  a chart listing the TURNS PER MILE for all (or even just lots of) popular tyre sizes. Specifically, I'm looking for Morris Marina 1800, Cortina 2000, and Rover P6 2000 ... and of course, 205-16.

I have a Rover 2000 Haynes manual at home. I wish I could answer your question from memory though, as I am 8,000 miles away and still no sign of a flight back. Might be better to ask Google.

Does anybody know if there is/are any similarities between the engine to gearbox fittings, Rover 2000 P6. and the Rover V8? Will the V8 adaptor accept the 4-pot?

If you haven't already guessed, I once owned a Rover 2000 (TC to be exact) and I currently have a P6 V8 engine and box (x2) sitting on my garage floor. IIRC the 2000 box sits over the flywheel and bolts to a flat mounting plate on the rear of the engine with the joint ahead of the flywheel (as does the V8). As we know, the L/R bell-housing bolts to a circular mounting plate which puts the joint behind the flywheel. So in that respect, even if you could get a Rover 2000 box, I don't believe it will fit.

I could look at the Haynes manual when I get home, but the way things appear you might have completed your project by then !

Keep safe
HTH
Dormy
On the road: - 66 109 Dormobile
Work in progress: - SWB Truck x2 & LWB 3/4 ton GS

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 06:23:27 PM »

Hi Dormy,

Thanks the thought, but please don't put yourself out.

I'll sort out what looks possible, as and when I have "metal" in front of me.

I know there was an S1 competing "off road", a long time ago ... it was fitted with an MGB engine. The MGB engine is the same as the Marina 1.8. I once "just dropped" a 1.3 Marina engine into a 1.8 car, and can't remember any problems, but maybe a 1.3 engined Series would be a"stepping stone too far". But  ... :shakeinghead

I've also fitted a 1.3 BMC A+ engine into a 1965 MG Midget 1100, which meant finding an engine back plate from a later car (But which car? Memory is failing), and modifying the original 4-bolt flywheel to fit the 6-bolt crankshaft. Luckily, my engine man knew what was required.

And then there was the Austin Champ 4-litre (B80? B60?) engine and gearbox that I replaced with an BMC 2.2LD, bread van engine and gearbox.  As the LD gear box had it's reverse in the gearbox, and the Champ had it's reverse in the back axle, my brain hurts when I try to work out the possible number of gears available to me. Double that for 2WD and 4WD ... the Champ 4x4 was engaged by gears inside the front differential housing, with a long prop-shaft connecting the two axles ... the rear axle had two pinions ... one IN and one OUT.

The Champ also had torsion bar independent suspension on all four wheel ... and the chassis was part of the bodyshell. Rack and pinion steering! Archimedes fuel gauge! And lots of thingies that meant nothing to me.  ???

Simon K.

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2721
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 06:32:51 PM »

Apparently it is possible to fit a BMW motorcycle head onto a Marina 1.3 block.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 09:07:43 AM »

it is possible to fit a BMW motorcycle head onto a Marina 1.3 block.

Hi,

Please excuse my looking "sideways" at you.  I'm not aware of ever having seen a BMW cylinder head, so I have to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I lie ... I did once acquire a pre-war (1936?) BMW (cabriolet?) convertible, i think a 329 (?) complete but in pieces, for £5. But I lost my garage, so sold it for the same amount.  "If only I'd known then, what I know now."  But then, I've had, and driven, several pre-Ruby Austin 7s, and never paid more than £5.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 08:34:03 AM »

Apparently it is possible to fit a BMW motorcycle head onto a Marina 1.3 block.

The cylinder head of the 4 cylinder BMW K series motorcycles (AKA The Flying Brick) fits onto the block of the classic Mini engine with very little modification, as I found out when trying to get second hand spares for my K100.  The classic Mini racers use the later 4 valves per cylinder head that was made from about 1989 onwards.  The earlier heads were just 2 valves per cylinder.

I learnt this from the mechanic at Gordon Farley Motorcycles in Guildford who used to race classic Minis.

David.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 11:36:59 PM »

Hi,

OK, I'll stop looking sideways.

I once bought a brand new Moskvitch van (in 1971, I think).The cheapest thing on four wheels, at the time. It had a very convincing looking 1600cc engine ... huge aluminium unit, that was an absolute "stormer". I wish I could find one of those for my project.

I've heard it was based on a BMW engine, which I suppose is possible ... the Russian NEVAL big flat-twin bike engines reminded me of BMW bike engines. Maybe the Russian Germans were better than the Allies Germans?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.