S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 602's project  (Read 3584 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
602's project
« on: May 15, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »

John, is this what you have in mind ???
Who's a then ?

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3375
  • .:
Re: 602's project
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 10:55:00 AM »

Be easy for Barbara to get in  :cheers

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »

He needs a motorised 2 seater skateboard with a land rover badge on the front and a tow hitch at the back

Peter  (only joking John)
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 02:43:34 PM »

I've been assuming it's something like this:

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 12:17:22 AM »

Nice the silver one but how do the wheels steer  ??? Maybe just a drag straight liner ??? Or is it sat on air suspension  ;)

All the same does put 602’s vision into reality, really only need air bags installed instead of springs and you would be pretty much on your way  :whistle

5 mins on the google doofer finds this little £3500 beauty  :agh but other kits are available and easy to buy in individual units, I can buy a complete front and rear set of 4 air bags and 4 active shocks for my Mercedes ml on eBay for under £400 bit of fabrication later  :whistle
Never argue with an idiot! They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 06:51:35 AM »

Hi All,

Thanks or your thoughts ... but nothing like the above pictures. (OT - Barbara is having problems getting her new electric wheel chair over the brass(ish) threshold into the bedroom. Little front wheel stops, the bigger rear wheels then burn a hole in the carpet.

No! What I'm aiming at is simply a standard looking S2, but on smaller wheels and tyres. I'm guessing that Mini 10" wheels will not fit over Landy 10" brake drums ... and anyway, that would look too emasculated ... but should accelerate like stink in top gear, corner like on rails, reduce the unsprung weight, reduce the overall weight, and nearly double the braking mechanical advantage. Barbara should be able to plonk herself onto the seat cushions. BUT, it's the tyres that limit the MGW.

I'm thinking 13"/14", and wondering if they will fit over 11" brake drums. Maybe not necessary, as reducing the tyre diameter will have the same effect as increasing the brake drum diameter. But then there are the benefits of TLS on 11" brakes.  I've discounted wire wheels. :shakeinghead  Shame!

I think Transits run on 14" commercial tyres, but their profile is probably too high for me. It's tyres that limit the MGW.

I still have not approached Wellers about their 8-slot steel wheels. In the 1980s, John Brown Wheels Ltd advertised that they could supply wheels drilled to fit any PCD. I haven't heard of JBW for many yonks. ???

My PC seems to be behaving itself since BT frowned at their side of their master box (new), but I've literally forgotten all the easy stuff. My recently acquired (three months?) and "too clever for me" printer is destined for the local tip.  I'd forgotten the axiom (whatever that is) that the cheaper the printer, the greater the cost of the ink. Any suggestions for printers that are not too expensive to buy, and use? And are NOT remotely controlled by the manufacturers, Big Brother style?

There is also the matter of fitting softer springs  without raising the ride height. Can/will the parabolic manufacturers supply their springs with non standard camber?

What I need is a simple side elevation drawing of a 88" with full hard-top, but with nothing in the wheel arches, onto which I can add appropriately sized circles, to represent tyres of varying sizes, just to get a visual idea of what doesn't look too silly  (A good horse is never a bad colour). Think 14" wheels fitted with 165 tyres, full profile, and tell me the TPM.

Back to the drawing board, to await the end of "lock-down".

PS ... the tow-ball height will be reduced, and maybe there will be room to sink a spare wheel deep into both rear wheel boxes.

PPS ... the "Coachbuilders" drawings are too complicated, and not clear enough to do a virtual tracing.

PPPS ... does anybody here know anything about acquiring specially adapted wheel chairs ... like fitted with a gentle ejector seat?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 07:27:35 AM »

Hi,

To expand on the last PPPS, Barbara can only use her left arm to push herself UP out of her wheel-chair ... and it's starting to protest.

Suggestions?

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 11:45:58 PM »

You could just stick with standard 16” defender tubeless wheels with lower profile tyres, something like these

auction: #162737338186

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 06:51:21 AM »

Hi Big Chris,

I'd already considered that ... briefly ... but discarded due to presumed cost. I see yours are listed at sub-£40.

Hmmm?

My objective is two-fold.

1. Reduce the ride-height of the passenger's seat cushion, so Barbara can slide-in without effort ... I can't remember- did you meet Barbara? And if you did, I doubt that she got out of her chair. She used to be 5'-4", with 29" inside leg (same as me, and I was 5'-10").

2. Reduce the "effective gearing" by increasing "turns per mile", so I can fit a smaller engine. (Barbara's Honda 1.6 CRX could indicate 70mph in second gear, and 100mph in third (out of 5), and never dropped below 40mpg. Bags of torque. I assume the VTECH is even more impressive, but I'm guessing that they both are out of my price range ... and capabilities. I don't know if a CRX engine would fit under an S2 bonnet). I'm still inclined towards a Marina 1.8 (same engine as MGB, so spares should be easy). I don't know if there was a single carb version.

OT.   Barbara was once "pulled" on the M4 at 110mph, in her CRX. She refused to get out of her car until Plod showed her proof of his identity. He didn't ... so she didn't. He warned her "Don't let me catch you again!"... and just disappeared into the night. ??? But she was young then ... late 50s. Same thing happened a couple of years later, but it was only 104mph, that time.

I've been trying to think of a name for this project.  Short "legs"? Pondering on "FRED B", but not sure if cars are allowed to be "male". ??? If so, I wonder if Fred's creator would allow (and donate?) a picture of Fred, to adorn the space opposite the rear number plate. I've already considered a picture of "TRIPEWORKS", the racing cart horse, from the Fozdyke Saga. (sp?) His legs are too long.

I'll get my coat. Write the begging letters later.

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 07:03:08 AM »

I have fitted 225 65 r16 Continental 4 season tyres to my S2 4 x 2, it has an Ashcroft hi ratio transfer gear so I found it was over geared  with 205s fitted ,the 5 or so percent lower ratio makes it more drivable in the hilly are where I live , also it is very good on the corners ,  the smaller dia tyres aren't as macho but do improve the road  driving , also getting I and out is easier
Chris

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 08:37:35 AM »

Hi Chris,

Yes, that's the sort of effect I'm looking for, and presumably an easier, and probably cheaper way of achieving it ... no need to buy 5 or 6 new Weller wheels.  But is 5% enough? I have to consider my garage door height ... or swing the door on hinges.

What wheel width are they fitted to?

No doubt Google can tell me the overall diameter, and the "turns per mile". The latter will be embossed on your sidewalls.

Next problem ... parabolic springs with reduced camber.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 08:40:33 AM »

What wheel width ...?

Hi

Shuffti of your piccy suggests SWB rims.  ???

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 09:43:30 AM »

Hi yet again,

Further research suggests that 225/65R16 tyres turn 758 times per mile against  695 TPM for 205/80R16, which shouldn't be too hard to live with, until a little engine is added to the calculations. S1 differential???

205/60R16 do 785TPM, only 27 more TPM ... not worth "rolling in the gutter" over, unless the price difference, and sill height make it worth the effort, which they probably won't.

Then there is the matter of inner tubes. Probably "no such animal", so I might need to factor in the cost of second hand Disco wheels, which seems a nice idea. and leave me with a set of Series wheels to keep for emergencies, fit with snow tyres, or "weigh in" (metaphorically speaking).

"I love it when a plan comes together". Roll on the lifting of "Lock-down!"

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 01:36:29 PM »

The wheels are tubeless defender rims, bought 5 for 100 quid , sold the 750 that were on them for 10 quid, they are  5.5 33 r16 , look at a glance to be 5 ins swb rims, below 70%  aspect ratio tubeless rims required, 5 %  reduction in gearing from the 32% higher ratio given by the Ashcroft transfer gears give it better driveable manners in hilly Cornwall , kepps it looking close to standard , the tyres are quiet road sticky and long lasting , average price per tyre fitted is about 150 quid,  look for new take offs all in with paint cost me 350 ish , 235 fit on 5.5 in rims so 225s are ok ,
Chris

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 07:19:06 PM »

Hi Chris,

Thanks or that.

I'm in Milton Keynes, and can't think of a hill worthy of the name.

I don't want travel fast, just keep up with the traffic ... and if i can "out gun" them out of the roundabouts, it would be nice (but I refuse to make a race of it).

I assume that your brakes are more effective too? Hey, if I can keep 16" wheels, I can "up" the brakes to 11". Should I think about a rear "anti-nerfing" bar?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.