S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Printers  (Read 5885 times)

Dentman

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2297
  • .:
  • RIP
Re: Printers
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 07:53:26 PM »

I was waiting for LIDL to put them in the MIDL !!
Why Why Why Delilah ?

Malcolm R

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6730
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 08:05:18 PM »

I once found that loctite brand superglue was more expensive than silver! The best purpose I've yet found for superglue is as a replacement for plasters...
1963 SWB 2.25L petrol

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 09:19:33 PM »

What we call "super glue" was invented by accident.
In the early '60s it's medical use for joining up wounds was developed and it was used in the Vietnam war.
It is most excellent at stitching wounds together with little scaring.

:nursey

Who's a then ?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 10:12:18 PM »

We have a HP laser printer that is 15+ years old, still works well and the toner cartridges have gone down in price.  We also have a Brother A3 colour printer/scanner, there are 4 separate ink cartridges.  The quality from both is excellent and the ink for the Brother is really cheap.  I will never buy another Up ink jet printer again.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 11:32:20 PM »

Do HP ink cartridges still include the print head?  This was always the advantage - in that you got a new head each time - and didn't get the problem of the head burning out - which seemed to happen when the ink ran out.  I've been refilling my own black cartridges for the HP with a syringe kit.

I must say that the HP Lasers and inkjets that I've come across have been reliable - I'm contemplating replacing my 12 year old all in one inkjet with a laser as wireless would please my wife and print that didn't run when wet would be handy.  The replacement is likely to be a Brother all-in one black printer.

I see numerous 'budget' Brother cartridges for around £10.  Are these OK to use in the thing?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 05:56:00 AM »

The compatible cartridges that I was recommended by a friend who has used them for years work fine in ours.

Dont buy a colour laser printer they are extortionate to run.

When I was working (I finished 15 years ago) we had a variety of printers on our network, HP were classed as the standard but we had one Brother Laser printer (A3 black and white) that just kept going and going and going, it never dropped off the network and it never broke down.  For a lot of people, me included it was the printer of choice to send work to.

We lashed out on the Brother A3 all in one  after our last HP all in one decided to give up the ghost.  The Brother was far more expensive but inks are mucjh, much cheaper and hopefully it will last longer than the HP cheapie but I still use the old laser for black and white single sided, the downside is that it is not wireless I have to go and physically connect to it.

Peter

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 06:43:05 AM »

Printer ink is about £4,500 per litre
Petrol is about £1.10 per litre.

Hi Alan,

So fill the ink cartridges with petrol .... a quiick flash with a cigarette lighter, to add "blackness" to the print.

At one stage of their/my history, I was in charge of a data input team ... 70+ militant females who were required to maintain 13,000 notional key depressions per hour, for five and a half hours of an eight hour day (allowed ONE mistake per 1000 strokes). One of my girls maintained 36,000 key stokes per hour, with zero mistakes.  (That's 10 keystrokes per second ... which caused us some managemet problems  :stars  She spent too much time walking up to my desk to get her next job.  Solved by letting her pick up three jobs at a time.

One day, a supervisor leant over her "evil eyed" supervisory golf-ball printer (used to keep a record of what the girls were keying, when they logged on and off, speeds mistakes, etc. Her hair got caught in the golf ball. Every time somebody logged ON or OFF, her face was pulled closer to the golf-ball.

"STOP KEYING ... NOW? STOP! DO NOT LOG OFF!"

The poor girl's face was now about two inches from the golf ball ... and she didn't want us to cut her hair.

The Fire Brigade seemed quite impressed with my team of nubile young ladies, but were unable to help. Eventually, the engineer dismantled the printer.  Just another day at the office.

The things we did to get your driving licence back to you.

PS. I still hate my HP wirelless printer. Perhaps things would be different if it had been programmed to print it's first "job" as soon as it was all set up ... a decent set of Operating Instructions, on A4 paper. I'd be happy to ask Ebay to send me a "display folder" to put them in.

I regard the multi-language flimsy that comes in the box as an insult to my status as a paying customer.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2020, 11:24:06 AM »

You can find the printer set up instructions, the operating instructions and changing the cartridge instructions all online.

That's how it is these days.

It is assumed that if you buy a printer for a computer that you have a computer.
Everyone has the internet.

You no longer get a set up disc in the box.

You go online.
Just type the name & model number into your browser box (Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle).
You will often get video clips (YouTube) on how to set up and use the printer.
Much better than an instruction sheet - I think.

:RHD

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2020, 05:49:41 PM »

Hi Allan,

Thanks for that. I was probably asking the right question in the wrong place, or the wrong question in the right place, or both.

Whatever, I think I've found it.

Problem ... it says 592 pages.  How many pages in the Green Bible. I think I will wait until my clever clogs of a daughter comes to scrub the kitchen floor, on Sunday ( :-X ) A mere machine would not dare defy her. (She used to be a VAT Inspector in Kennington, South East London, but now has a bit more clout).

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2020, 06:00:11 PM »

That's the problem these days - nobody reads the *&%^$ manual  :shakeinghead  :shakeinghead  :shakeinghead

We all think we know better and march forward into trouble.

The manual is very comprehensive and if you follow the sections you should better understand how to set the printer up, how it works and how to get the best from it.

Dentman

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2297
  • .:
  • RIP
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2020, 06:03:31 PM »

That's the problem these days - nobody reads the *&%^$ manual  :shakeinghead  :shakeinghead 

Only if all else fails.... :stars

BigH

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5383
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2020, 06:14:13 PM »

Dom Perignon comes in at about £45/litre  so 1/100 of the ink  :agh

Are you near to Liverpool docks Dentman? Can you get a regular supply?  ;)
Dom Perignon is closer to £200 a litre in the wine merchants and at least double that in hotels / clubs / restaurants   :agh

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2020, 07:03:08 PM »

A good Prosecco is cheaper  :wine3

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »

That's the problem these days - nobody reads the *&%^$ manual  :shakeinghead  :shakeinghead  :shakeinghead

Or the Spare Parts Catalogue  :whistle :whistle :-X :-X :whistle :whistle

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2020, 08:33:07 PM »

Hi Alan,

Referring to your earlier advice, about not locking into the printers "sales spiel", my just "decommissioned" printer had mention of the need to enter a contract to buy their ink. WE DID NOT KNOW WHAT THAT MEANT.

In order to be able to use the printer, we had to decide how many copies we would be taking each monthy, and then instruct our bank to make monthly payments to the ink suppliers. In return, they would count our prints, and send us more ink before we ran out.

I used my Barclay Card, which I have had for several years,  but seldom use, apart from when I don't want somebody to have access to whatever is sitting in our main current account (which is where our pensions are paid).We kept a few quid in Barclays, and added more when we knew something bigger was going to hit it.

In this instance, the ink was going to cost us £5 a month, so we told our main bankers to transfer an extra n£5 into my Barclays account, every month, taking it into double figures (Wow!)

All went well ... until the Barclay Card expired.  The ink suppliers sent me a warning ... and a few days later, pulled THEIR plug on MY printer. There was obviously ink left in the printer, as they were able to tell me what was going on .... YOU HAVE NOT BEEN CHARGED FOR THIS PAGE.

I have seen similar systems mentioned (but not in detail) in adverts for other brands of printer.

Frankly, I'm happy to be out of their clutches, as I had no idea what data Big Brother could access from my printer, or even from my PC (which was wirelessly linked to the printer).  Maybe I'm paranoid?

This printer had very good reviews.

If anybody thinks they can utilise the gubbins in this copier/printer, they can collect it, FOC. Send me a PM.

602 (Milton Keynes)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.