S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLOATING AXLES  (Read 2012 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
FLOATING AXLES
« on: June 20, 2020, 07:20:12 AM »

Hi,

There has been mention elsewhere about semi- , three quarter - . and fully floating axles. I'm guessing that may of our youger readers know as much about axle "floating" as I know about computers. OK, my memory on the subject is 60 years old, and it's been nearly as many years since  I've been up close and personal with "semi" and "three quarter" axles. (Horrible things).

FULLY FLOATING, I think everyone here is familiar with these, on their Landy. The wheel is supported, and held on, by a pair of wheel bearings, which also hold the wheel vertical. Breaking or removing the half shaft, will interupt power going to the wheel, but will not affect the integrity of the wheel as a wheel.

Just to complicate matters, S1 have similar hubs to the S2 and S3, but the half shafts have a large flange on the end, which will also stop the wheel leaning, if the bearings collapse. I doubt that that was in the design brief.

THREE QUARTER FLOATING. The hub has only one bearing. My memory is vague on this.  :stars  I think  the half-shaft holds the wheel vertical. If the half-shaft breaks, the wheel may lean, within the tolerance of the bearing, but will stay within the vehicle.

SEMI FLOATING.  The half shaft is restrained inside the differential, and runs in a single bearing at the hub end. The wheels is held vertical on a taper and key onto the halfshaft. The "wheel" bearing is between the axle case and the half-shaft.  If the half-shaft breaks, the broken piece, complete with hub, brake-drum, and wheel, will make a dash for freedom.  Imagine a detached Boedica (sp?) wheel and "blade" cruising down your local High Street.

As I said, this is from 60+ years ago. Memory fades.  I will not be offended if anybody wants, or is able, to correct me.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: FLOATING AXLES
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 07:30:09 AM »

Hi.

If you don't mind your brain hurting, think about bolting this under the back end of your S2.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0802rc-independent-rear-suspension/

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 07:54:16 AM »

Most series 1s have semi or 3/4 floating rear axles. 

They are a pain to change the bearing (singular) as you should really use a press that is big enough to get the long halfshaft in lengthways and if one breaks you are stuck, you cannot driv it or be towed and yes the wheel will lean.

The good nes wis that it is relatively straightforward to convert it to fully floating.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 05:47:06 PM »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that. Thinking back, YES, I have pulled S1 half shafts, but NO, I never dismantled them any further, I just asumed they were the same as the fronts.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 03:32:22 AM »

Hi,

A very idle thought.

If push came to shove, and you broke a half shaft on your S2, would an S1 half shaft get you home? I'm assuming the PCDs of the drive flange studs on the hubs are the same? (Same gasket?).

I'm guessing that vice versa won't work ... S2/S3 axles are longer wider. ???  Is there anything we'd like/need to know about S1/S2/S3 inter-changability?  Will an S1 half-shaft fit into a RR differential? Just asking, you understand?

Peter Holden

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 08:33:56 AM »

S1 half shaft will not fit and you would have to dismantle the brakes to try.

If the RR 3.5 diff was 10 spline then yes, later ones are 24 spline and are not interchangeable.

John, you are over thinking things, you are not likely to break a halfshaft.

Peter

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 09:21:27 AM »

S1 shafts are shorter than S2 and may not reach the diff.   If you try a S2 half shaft in the a fully floating S1 , it is too long.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 09:42:00 AM »

John, you are over thinking things, you are not likely to break a halfshaft.

Hi Peter,

Oh dear ... that sounds like a challenge.  Please don't!

During an RAF Crew Room argument, I suggested that a Coles crane (two rear axles) could use it's own hook to lift one of it's own back wheels off the ground. Howls of laughter ...

... but I showed them, that in principle, it could be done.

I lay on a "gym" bench, and used a lever, to jemmy the feet at one end, off the ground.  :thud

Discuss!

OK, I'd done what I said I could do, no cheating,  but ... but ...  :whistle

OK 2. I accept, without reservation, that S1 and S2 halfshafts are not interchangable ... but I bet that I could drive an S1 home, using an S2 half shaft. (With reservations ... wait for next thrilling installment)

Peter Holden

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 05:02:19 PM »

No you couldn't because you would need to remove the broken S1 halfshaft that would come away complete with the hub and brake backplate.

You need to find a view of the S1 axle from the parts book.

Peter

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 06:22:14 PM »

The Series 1 Workshop Manual is available to S2C members on our website ....

:RHD
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 07:15:30 AM »

No you couldn't because you would need to remove the broken S1 halfshaft that would come away complete with the hub and brake backplate.

Hi Peter,

What you suggest is alien to my little brain ... :stars  But I've searched my memory banks, and although I'm sure I've pulled an S1 half-shaft I have no recollection of where or when. Most of my S1s were fitted with S2 axles.

I will concede the point, give Wilkie a kicking, and retire to the little boys room.

Peter Holden

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 09:13:12 AM »

I have spent quite a bit of time with S1 axles and if I ever have another S1 (unlikely as I cant afford it) I would convert it to fully floating by using the half shafts, hubs and brakes from an S2 and making up a couple of spacers.  This is to keep the wheels in the correct place relative to the tub.  It is a standard conversion, in S1 circles, the only non standard part is the specer, which is usually made from a drive spider.

Peter

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 07:49:52 PM »

Hi Peter,

I've mixed feeling. I like the uncluttered look of an S1 rear half-shaft .... and than I saw the price of an S1 half-shaft. £600+  :agh

In Wales, we used S1 half-shafts to hammer into the ground .... tethering goats for the use of

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.