S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OFF TOPIC. Suzuki Jimny.  (Read 10278 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
OFF TOPIC. Suzuki Jimny.
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »

Hi,

My Jimny failed it's MOT on two items.

Both wiper blades need replacing, and

Rust holes in the panels between the inner front wings and the front panel.

Hang on ! I thought the Zuke had a seperate chassis and removable body shell (OK .. I might be wrong. I'll ask Alexa Google how to remove the bodyshell.)

HTH

PS ... Zuke main dealer did the test, very thorough, lots of advisories. No complaints, just the above question. They even gave it a wash.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: OFF TOPIC. Suzuki Jimny.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 01:12:19 PM »

Hi,

While away a happy ten minutes. Cross your fingers and Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC6ttwSZObo&app=desktop

A little learning is a dangerous thing, so can a resident MOT tester comment, pretty please?

If that link doesn't work, Google Lifting body off Suzuki Jimny chassis, but note, that video is of a 410, not a Jimny.

I can feel a crusade coming on.  :cool

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:37:41 PM »

Hi,

"No answer!" was the stern reply. :-X OK, early days yet. My breath is bated.

Just to complicate matters, and argue against previous wisdom, I have copied below what Google has to say about an MOT FAIL negating a still extant MOT certificate.

➢You may take your vehicle to get it repaired after it has failed its MOT test. ... The answer is that you can still drive your vehicle if it fails the test and its existing MOT certificate is still valid (i.e. if your test was before the expiry date) as long as no 'dangerous' problem(s) were listed in the MOT.4 Jul 2018

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 01:40:30 PM »

Sounds like you need to find a more, erm, "friendly" MoT bloke... ;)

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 02:06:43 PM »

Bit of self adhesive aluminium tape and some black spray paint.....

I assume you are looking at removing the body to repair it?

Craig.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 03:00:55 PM »

Hi Both,

I'm very happy with both the test and the tester.

However, I'm not sure we was correct to fail the Zuke, as (i hope) the bodyshell is seperate from the chassis. Imagine if a tester failed your S2 because the radiator panel was frayed at the edges behind the grill, so no sharp edges for Joe Public to throw themselves at.

As for an MOT fail NOT negating a still valid MOT, I have seen that denied on this forum. EG: Claims that taking your truck for an MOT with still a month to run, and FAILING, would result  in the truck becoming un-MOT'd.  I read somewhere official, a long time ago. that ...

the vehicle must have passed an MOT test within the previous 12 months. I'm guessing that that was carefully worded.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 03:07:21 PM »

I have seen quite a few Discoveries fail due to inner wing corrosion. As you say, chassis rails underneath it covered in oil from the leaky oil burner between it, are sound as a pound but they still fail....

Craig.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 03:23:17 PM »

I assume you are looking at removing the body to repair it?

Hi Craigie,

What do you think I am? Young? I haven't touched a spanner, in earnest, since Last June.

My argument is that holes in the bodywork of a vehicle are not MOT-able unless dangerous to Joe Public, or part of the chassis. I have a vague memory of a mate's car failing an MOT because somebody had welded  a little bit of the previously removable body to the chassis. Hang on ... that was me:thud but it was my son's Triumph Herald. Memory says that about six inches of the boot floor had been welded to a rear out-rigger.  :thud

Hi Craig,  I( would brood about the Discovery wings, read the testers manual, and involve my MP (especially if there was an election coming up) Got to be worth a try. Hmmm! I bet that's me in the dog-house corner of this forum.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 04:53:06 PM »

Hi,

Web-site for FREE MOT expiry date check .... https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle

Whatever, the last MOT does not expire until 19th of September. So that's alright.

What I need now is a friendly welder in Milton Keynes. Although somebody local has been offering £3,000 scrappage, against a new car.

Co-incidence? Barbara's Hyundai has done about 3,000 miles.

602 who is still happy with the MOT, (if not the result) I suspect it was the most stringent MOT for any car I've ever owned.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 06:36:59 PM »

I really can't see the point of going to Mot places like that, you want a sensible balance that will find anything that matters, but won't fail you on the smallest pedantic thing,( the very letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law), but hey ho, you takes yer choice..
I suspect many such operations fail vehicles, just because they can, in the hope of getting lots of expensive work out of it.. :shakeinghead

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 07:48:12 PM »

I suspect many such operations fail vehicles, just because they can, in the hope of getting lots of expensive work out of it.. :shakeinghead

Hi PS,

I would agree with you there, but I doubt that they expect the owner of an ancient Jimny to pay main dealer prices.

Similarly, I doubt the owner of the said Jimny, to buy his wife a new car ... but the advertised repayments on a Swift are about £5 more per month than what Barbara is paying on her Ix20. It has to be investigated, seeing as she will be needing an automatic subject to the medics cancelling her operation (see elsewhere, probably tomorrow morning).

Watch this space.

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 07:51:21 PM »

Without seeing the car, any corrosion within 30 cm in any direction from a brake mounting, steering or body mounting (prescribed area) is a fail

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 07:58:32 PM »

Hi,

I'm not fitted to modern life.

Driving back from the MOT, I noticed the sat-nav was missing ... empty holder suckered to the windscreen.

Luckily, before I reached the next roundabout, I realised I was driving the Zuke. The sat-nav is in Barbara's Hyundai.  :stars

602 (aged 80.5)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 05:55:22 AM »

Hi,

I'm happy with the test, which I suspect was aggressive, but not malevolent ... the sort of test you want (provided it passes).

From memory (of just a quick glance) all the corrosion is within two or three inches, and behind each headlamp. I don't think there are any structural members nearby (seperate chassis). Similarly, I doubt that there any important bits (brake hoses) nearby.

So Discoveries suffer from the same failure? Two idle thoughts! I understand that Discoveries have the chassis number repeated somewhere on the dash, where it is visible through the windscreen  (both chassis and monocoque)... a bit tenuous. Some years ago, maybe still, there was more than one kit available to fit GRP, and possibly stainless steel, bodies onto LR Coilers. Surely there some specials in existence ... Series bodies on Coiler chassis? Does that mean I can get the Jimny through the MOT by hacking off the front wings, and fitting cycle mudguards and stand-alone headlamps. Or a one piece GRP front end? Does anybody remember when it was fashionable to hack the entire front end of Minis, leaving the sub-frame unsupported at the front? Even I was dubious about that, but hey, a bad idea that works is better than a good idea that doesn't.

I have no desire to get the Tester into trouble, I believe he did a good, honest and thorough job. But I'd like to know that he was working to the right parameters.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 07:21:56 AM »

I am getting as bad as 602

We used to have a Citroen C15 based Romahome, they were known to rust and there is a channel with a lip under the bonnet across the scuttle.  This rots and is within 30cm of the top strut mount.  Failure (as advised by garage, just grind the lacy lip off and paint leads to a pass).

I will make no comment about MOTs

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.