S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OFF TOPIC. Suzuki Jimny.  (Read 10277 times)

Re: OFF TOPIC. Suzuki Jimny.
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »

It is the welded seam in front of the plenum chamber.  The jack is fastened to a panel above it.  C15s rot almost anywhere and body panels are getting hard to find.

Peter

Am I right in thinking that c15 shared most mechanical bits with the 205?

Is your berlingo fixed or high lo, have you had both which would you recommend?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 06:13:00 PM »

Therefore if you go for an early test and it fails then the vehicle is NOT road worthy - MoT certificate or not.

Hi,

That's from way-back.

But if it failed just before the test, whether early, or spot on time.it was probably illegal anyway.

But does a month early MOT fail void the old MOT?  That would imply that it is silly to MOT an "iffy" vehicle early. Yes it would be illegal in either case ... but nobody would know ... and I mean nobody, not you, not the men with clip boards ... and they would have to maske asn effort to prove it was illegal.

Personally, I would argue that an MOT fail does not necessarilly make the vehicle unsafe. EG,  A knackered seat belt is not unsafe until somebody straps it on, etc. Your guilt is based on the asssumption that you will do something.

A housebreaker was charged with "going equiped". He argued that at the time of his arrest, he had kmocked off for the day. NOT GUILTY.

Can anybody trace that case?  I mean, having a punctured tyre on a stationary car, could arguably be an offence.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2019, 06:37:00 PM »

Yes, but these things don't happen in real life.

The road worthiness comes into play if you are stopped and inspected or involved in an accident.

Going equipped ... Coppers have a 6th sense of "a bad un" when they stop you.

I carry a large axe and sundry other tools, sometimes a chain saw etc. etc.
I have no criminal record, no driving offences.
What would the police make of me ???

I have been stopped late at night in the LWT with this "contraband" on full display.
The axe sits in the rifle rack!
(because I'm not allowed a gun  :'(  )

I was stopped because the rear lights weren't working and they helped me fix it. No problem...
As I've posted many times - it's how you react when stopped which depends on what happens next.

By the way, I have a Leatherman and the knife blade locks - this is a big NO NO
There is a simple fix with a washer to stop it locking.
My lad - a copper - pointed this out to me.
I think quite a few of us maybe unwittingly be breaking the law, more so as "knife crime" seems to be an issue these days.

:plod
Who's a then ?

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2019, 06:52:10 PM »

Technically, to the letter of the law, I'm sure we all commit various "offences" all the time, but back in real life we're very, very unlikely to be brought to book for em..the same goes for all the above I'd say.. keep calm & carry on etc..;)

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 07:04:01 PM »

I carry a large axe and sundry other tools, sometimes a chain saw etc. etc.
I have no criminal record, no driving offences.
What would the police make of me ???

Without wishing to be unduly rude, I’d suspect an officer of the law would be more concerned with you hurting yourself with that lot than the chances of you running amok with them.  :-X

I’m also guilty of the criminal offence of owning a Leatherman with a locking blade. Having seen a couple of fairly horrendous finger injuries from knives folding unintentionally in use I wouldn’t ever disable the lock.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 07:33:07 PM »

Hi,

A mate of mate was stopped late at night  driving a van

"What have got in the back sir?"

"Six sticks of gelignite and a box of detonators!" ( may have got the details  wrong, but you get the idea)

"Very funny, Sir. Move along!"

The mate of a mate was telling the truth ... but was entitled to carry such toys. Something to do with pot-holing, I believe.

I still have the scar on my shoulder, from the mid-1950s. My mate's sister was cleaning her nails, when I said something to upset her. A couple of stitches (and one lie) at Croydon General, put things right.

My mate at RAF Barnham (ask Wittsend) was caught with a Steyr 9mm, and six rounds in his locker. As the camp was about to close, the CO gave him 7 days jankers.

Same mate came home found his brother playing with a shot gun in the garden (this was Tooting Bec) He tried to wrestle the gun off his brother, took the load of pellets at point blank through the head. "Oh Ricky ... 50 years and I still miss you!"

He was a smashing bloke, just fascinated by guns.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 07:50:48 PM »

Those were the days ! We used to have a shotgun just leaning in the corner by the wardrobe when I was a kid...I used to nick a few cartridges occasionally and me and my mates would make little "bombs" to let off in the woods... :agh

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 09:50:59 PM »

Without wishing to be unduly rude, I’d suspect an officer of the law would be more concerned with you hurting yourself with that lot than the chances of you running amok with them.  :-X

As posted, my axe sits nicely in the rifle rack.

All the other stuff is stowed safely  :tiphat

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 05:51:41 AM »

Hi,

I'm still brooding on what to do with the Jimny. I love it.

But if it's going to cost me £300 to £400 per side to fix ... maybe not ... one panel does both sides? ... I might be better buying another with a long MOT, and asset stripping the current one ... or playing silly ******s with it.

I'm also pondering on trading it in against a new Dacia Duster auto, or a Suzuki Swift auto, or WHY auto, if any dealers will give a good discount (£2,000 trade in seems common, £3000 appears occasionally, or VAT free). I'm not sure how many times Wilkie will get my dinner, before SWMBO sees things my way.

If I was younger, I might have considered a customised 80" ... starting with a scrapper ... new chassis, smaller wheels  and shimmed suspension (to reduce access height), more modern 1600 engine, auto gearbox (if I can live without 4WD) ... I'll get my coat.

Er, a LWB should be easy, just chop the prop and fit a Lada Nive transfer box.

Back to the drawing board.

Scimike

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1579
  • Oh no, not again
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 07:57:19 AM »

The Jimny repair panel I mentioned does both sides, it's the complete front slam panel including headlamp mounts,. Bumper mounts, cross member etc. That's why it's expensive, but it is the way to repair if you are after originality.
But it's a difficult call without seeing pictures of the rusted area, if you can get some taken and post on Big Jimny, they will guide you as to what is possible.
Alternatively ask the garage how much to fix.

Know what you mean, love my Jimny to bits, it's a great underated vehicle (only for 4X4 lovers, normal car drivers will think it's awful just like our Series :-X)

Never driven a Dacia Duster, they look good on paper.

Good luck deciding, no wrong answers, just do what feels correct :cheers

oddjob

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 2153
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2019, 08:26:37 AM »

Never driven a Dacia Duster, they look good on paper.

Drove one on holiday this summer, everything about it felt cheap. The seats felt like two squares of foam under the cloth, the carpet was a plastic sheet, the gearstick was like stirring porridge and the engine was gutless. And that's from a S2 drivers perspective!
Think you'd be better off buying something better made second hand.

:cheers
We’re all here because we’re not all there.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »

If you like the jimmy, keep it ! With the repair panel as above it's still way less money to  spend than a brand new car, and you'll still have the motor you're obviously very keen on....
Or..buy a better up and running jimmy and use yours for parts...

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2019, 08:38:50 AM »

The seats felt like two squares of foam under the cloth, the carpet was a plastic sheet, the gearstick was like stirring porridge and the engine was gutless.

Hi Oddjob,

Where were you that you could rent an 80"/

I'll get my coat.  OK ... 80s didn't use plastic sheet for carpets

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »

It all depends on what it would cost to have the panel fitted and what other jobs need doing.

If you chopped it in for a new 4WD car would barbara be able to get in when her knees are right?  If not and you enjoy the Jimny then ther is your answer.  The monthy repayments on a new car would pay for a lot of repairs.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2019, 06:29:20 PM »

Hi,

I found an MOT station, about three miles away, with a tester that I can talk to.

We showed him the Jiminy, told him the price of a new panel. He said he would just do local repairs. I think I trust him.

I'm booked in for next week.

Barbara struggled to get into the passenger seat of the Jiminy ... (she was navigating to the test station SHE had found)... a thick book would probably have made it much easier. Smaller tyres?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.