S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Regretfully ...  (Read 5009 times)

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: Regretfully ...
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 12:19:47 PM »

^ I believe the rule for membership is "enthusiasm for the Land Rover Series 2 " not "must own one".

Note: "Enthusiasm" may wane at times.... #electrics.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 12:27:54 PM »

I won't mention the "3 amigos".

Oops :whistle
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Manxcat

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 4228
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »

Did someone say something about embarassing land rovers?  :-[

Good Effort, especially like the ten year lack of MoT on a twenty YO car   :cheers :-X

@W602  :we need pics

2H

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 08:49:00 AM »

:-\
and not Just Freelanders - New tyres should always be fitted to the rear axle first.
Buy 2 for the front, then the (worn) rears should go on the front and the new tyres on the rear.

In other words, you want your "best" tyres on the rear.

This has been standard operating advice for many years now.

Perhaps the LR dealers should abide by that, i saw a beautiful Series 109 that was there for some work,it had had 2 new 7.50R16 tyres fitted (Avon Rangemasters) onto the front, to go with the Security crossplies it had on the back, until told neither the fitter or the service manager were aware there was an issue.

mrscruffs

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6909
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 10:16:54 AM »

Wow! Taking a 109 to a LR main dealer in 2020 is some high rolling lifestyle!

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 12:34:08 PM »

^^^^ I'd be surprised if any of the staff had any experience at all of working on a Series vehicle ?   I recall a conversation with the service manager of a local "high end" garage who said they had not worked on a non ECU controlled vehicle since they left college. 

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 01:17:59 PM »

Perhaps the LR dealers should abide by that, i saw a beautiful Series 109 that was there for some work,it had had 2 new 7.50R16 tyres fitted (Avon Rangemasters) onto the front, to go with the Security crossplies it had on the back, until told neither the fitter or the service manager were aware there was an issue.

I remember the tv ad, found it on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c23MFIKiVdE&ab_channel=Futurebobbers

2H

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 02:45:11 PM »

Wow! Taking a 109 to a LR main dealer in 2020 is some high rolling lifestyle!

Grant you the S3 was immaculate, someone had either bought it restored,or had it restored.The driver might just about made 20 yrs of age.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 05:29:38 PM »

Hi,

What model have I got? I haven't the faintest idea! ... so Barbara checked the paperwork

First Registered 3rd September 2004.

Model is TD4 SE S/W 1951cc  £2,000.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 07:43:06 AM »

^^^^ I'd be surprised if any of the staff had any experience at all of working on a Series vehicle ?   I recall a conversation with the service manager of a local "high end" garage who said they had not worked on a non ECU controlled vehicle since they left college.
You'd be surprised how many Series vehicles do end up in LR main dealers. Often its because the owners also have a more modern JLR product and have a good relationship with the service team. We used to get quite a few. Also early RR Classics used to appear frequently because word got round that I knew a lot about them.
Overseas - especially in Africa and Asia, Series vehicles in JLR dealerships are still a common sight. Totally dependent on somebody in the dealership knowing what to do with them though. No parts or technical information is available on JLR EPC or TOPIx.
Often ends in tears...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 05:27:27 PM »

Hi,

Probably irrelevant, but that's never stopped me. I trust Wittsend to delete me if I go to far.

When I met Barbara, she was an Executive Officer in Customs and Excise, but resigned so she could join me in Malaya, where she got herself pregnant. Our daughter was born in Eastbourne, but is now a bank manager at Head Office in Milton Keynes.

Barbara returned to work, sitting at the same desk ... and "Lo!" ... she got herself pregnant again, She resigned again. She refused to take the paid "Maternity Leave" option when she knew she did not expect to return to work. I think she was brought up "all wrong".

Come the first Property Boom, we sold our house in Caterham, (doubled in value in four years) and headed for her parents house, in Swansea, in a £10 Triumph Herald convertible, and a brand new Moskvitch van towing a brand new Sprite Alpine 12ft caravan. A memorable journey, as Barbara and a police sergeant spent about twenty minutes arguing, while standing in the middle lane of the M4, traffic passing both sides, albeit, slowly. It ended with the Sergeant telling me to get my wife out of his sight. An offer too good to refuse. "MOVE IT!" I said, manfully. And she did.

We'd already put a deposit on a new bungalow on the outskirts of Swansea, but it would would be six months before it would be completed, We decided to take the caravan, and tour Scotland for a few months. While Barbara was loading the caravan, I wandered into the embryonic DVLC building, and asked about the chances of a job, when we returned from Scotland. I started work as a Clerical Officer, the following Monday.   :thud  We never did buy that bungalow, and quite a few years before we toured Scotland. It took me two years to become an Executive Officer.

Once the (now two) kids started school, Barbara joined me at DVLA, again retaining her previous Civil Service EO grade,  pay scale, and seniority. she was later promoted to HEO. I took  medical retirement in 1985, and Barbara passed a promotion board to SEO ....

... but the Director demanded that she represented DVLA on a Deputy Prime Ministers "Task Force" in her present grade. She retired in 2002.

I know my place.  :whistle

PS, My brother-in-law was an HEO Press Officer with MoD.(now freelance journalist) He was considered to be equivalent status to an Army Major / RAF Squadron Leader / Royal Navy Commander. Does that mean Barbara was the same rank as James Bond?

Actually, my BiL thinks the "equivalent" rank was only used to decide where he sat at the dining table in the Officer's Mess.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 05:36:52 PM »

Actually, my BiL thinks the "equivalent" rank was only used to decide where he sat at the dining table in the Officer's Mess.

He is right, pretty much. That said, I know of a civilian MoD Press Officer, volunteered for Iraq, who decided people in the (multi-national) HQ "were not listening to him", so started cutting about the camp dressed as a Royal Marine Lt Col, with a pistol he'd taken from a room-mates locker.... some-one who knew him spotted his antics, interview without coffee and sent home. He left the MoD shortly afterwards.
#waltermitty 

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »

Hi,

OT so stop now if you want to.

One of my clerical officers had been an RAF Sergeant Pilot during the war. He was based in North Africa, living in a tent. One day his tent mate, also a sergeant pilot, was called to the HQ tent. He returned looking rather shaken.

"What's up, mate?"

"Well, for a start, you can stand to attention when you address an officer! I'm a Squadron Leader".

Communications tended to be rather slow in North Africa..

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 05:47:26 AM »

Hi,

Still of topic, but will interest one of our new members, who lives in the same town (Pontardawe in Swansea Valley) as my mate

My mate, Gabe (Registrar General of Shipping ret'd) was responsible for investigating historic claims for medals.

That included a claim for a VC, won at the Battle of Waterloo.

And whether a British "pongo" was allowed to wear an Iron Cross?

Yes and Yes.

A Victoria Cross may be worn by the "winners" descendants, and the holder takes precedence over Generals. I assume the same applies to the holders of the Iron Cross.

The "old girl" who lived next door to us served in the Auxilary Fire Service, during the war. She regularly bemoaned not receiving the medal that she was entitled to. Barbara bought her one off Ebay.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2020, 06:44:47 AM »

PS,

For those of our readers, who have parents who served in Malaya during the "Conflict Years", but didn't receive their PINGAT JASA medal from Malaysian Prime Minister, there is one listed on Ebay at £45.  It might make a nice Xmas prezzy. This medal is anonymous, but is no longer being awarded ... I suspect more "vets" than expected, crawled out of the woodwork.

A Malaysian Peninsular Campaign Medal should still be available from the MoD. This medal will have their number rank and name engraved around the rim, so is very personal. The MoD will know if the medal was ever issued, and if not, I believe they, or their (proven) next of kin, can claim it.

PS.
I also have a "Dead Man's Penny". My uncle John was killed in France in 1915. Very personal ... his name is engraved on the face. "HE DIED FOR FREEDOM"

PPS.
My mate knows all about Merchant Navy medals. He wrote a book, "MILAG", about the Merchant Navy POWs (Barbara did the proof-reading). The book sold well, and is now out of print, but my mate may have a few copies lying about his study.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 16 queries.