S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Matters pertaining to parachute drops ...  (Read 4098 times)

mrutty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6626
  • .:
Re: Matters pertaining to parachute drops ...
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »

The dropline/bag line doesn't reduce the speed of descent. Its there so the trooper's legs only have to absorb the impact of the trooper and his webbing. The burgan weight can just hit the ground as no damage there. Imagine trying to roll out of a jump with 120lb (Falklands battle weight for the tab) on your back. Remove that 120lb and its an easier rollout and less leg injuries. Just a normal jump the lads take a fair few leg breaks, backs and ankles.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 01:25:46 PM »

^^^^ Which is why sensible people use a Helicopter :-)

:whistle
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Paul4978

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6908
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 07:52:25 PM »

^^^^ wouldn't want one of those hanging off my feet in a drop either

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 09:57:46 PM »

Which is why sensible people use a Helicopter :-)

Hi Gene,

What do you mean ... "Sensible?"

I had an RAAF "Iriquois" of the "Teeny Weeny Squadron" "buzz" me at Butterworth. My head was under the dash ... I thought he was coming thru my windscreen.

602 ("On topic"  coz I was driving a  olive drab S2, at the time).

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 07:04:46 AM »

Hi,

Reminder ... I raised the subject of parachutes as a comparison with seat belts in a GO - sort of stop -GO - STOP situation. The original question was whether a seat belt that grabbed you, and then let you go, was better than no belt at all.

While I have my thoughts, I don't know the answer. But surely the boffins have considered that question, and done some tests? But who? And will they tell us?

Does everybody remember the Volvo "test dummies" that walked away?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 07:23:48 AM »

Hi,

Try this link (fingers crossed)

http://bestride.com/news/technology/two-little-girls-inspired-volvos-crazy-new-2015-xc90-crash-test-video

It wasn't what I was looking for (and the video doesn't work), but there is mention of new methods of preventing you being thrown around the cabin I'm not sure if that is what I'm trying to talk about.  :stars

Whatever, it seems desirable to be held very tight, as the situation "hits the fan".

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 10:41:39 AM »

That's what air bags and side curtains are for.

These days cars have a very sophisticated occupant protection system and a combination of proportionally tensioning belts and air bags can be deployed using accelerometers such that it all works before you know you're going to have an accident.

The kit is replaced, can only be deployed once, is expensive and that's what your insurance and lawyers are for.

:wooly-jumper
Who's a then ?

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 12:17:35 PM »

^^^^^ and will generally result in the car being written off I believe ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 04:47:07 PM »

Hi Gene,

Even a a lost key can result in an "economic" write off. I have seen £600 to replace a lost key.

So the insurer's write off you car, pay you their valuation (minus the "first" £100),  and if they are lucky, you lose your 20 years of NCB, probably doubling your premium ... although it will slowly reduce over the next few years.

In the meantime, they claim your car, and probably have friends in the trade, who can find them a new key. I don't know who decides that "ECONOMIC WRITE_OFF" will be endorsed on the registration document, but I believe there are legitimate ways of getting that wiped off. Whatever ... they have a valuable car to sell.

I lost the key for my Jimny. The main dealers looked up the key number. A new key cost £70. Getting the key cut to the right shape cost £20. I then had to get the car transported to the main dealer ... using Home Start... so that was FOC. I think the main dealer charged another £20 to introduce the car to the key.

"My turn in the barrel tonight!"

Me? I'd have hit the steering lock with an angle grinder, and replaced it with a steering lock/ignition switch from an S3. It probably would have made little difference to the value of the car.  OK, there's probably a secret swith somewhere, to prevent jumping the ignition. Surely not insurmountable?

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 05:06:17 PM »

Usually the accident is always someone else's fault so you claim from their insurance and you claim for your uninsured losses.
That's why legal protection is handy  :first
Worked well for me...

We were discussing buying service plans in another topic. A similar type of "insurance" covers the difference between the book value of the car and a new one.
Certainly worth having if you have a brand new car.

Nowadays more & more people seem to lease their car and they don't actually own it and they don't have to worry about such matters.

Depending what you've opted for, you need not be out of pocket should your car be in an accident and it's not your fault.
Should you have to claim on your policy you'll just have to suck it in and lose your no claims "bonus".

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2020, 07:08:08 PM »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I agree with your comment about LEGAL PROTECTION.

Many years ago, I was still in bed. Phone rang ... Barbara ... Would I write down the registration of the lorry she was chasing.

Dark wet and windy morning. She had been alongside a supermarket articulated trailer, which was slowly undertaking her. When his rear wheels were alongside her,  it suddenly pulled into her lane. Bang! Scrape! Oops!. Her SAAB was still drivable, so she carried on behind the lorry, and phoned me. Details noted, she turned off at the next junction, returned home.

I phoned the supermarket Transport Manager, who confirmed it was their vehicle, but the driver was "on contract". He told me not to worry about it.

Shortly after turning back, Barbara spied a police car parked on "his" little lay-by, so she pulled in, and whiled away a happy half-hour chatting to Plod. AS the damage had "taken-out" her head lamps, he suggested that she called for Recovery. He uttered a mighty oath, when the recovery truck arrived 20 minutes later. Well, what do you expect from Britannia?

The SAAB was dropped off outside our front gate. Barbara phoned Brittania.  The SAAB was collected about an hour later, closely followed by delivery of a rental car. And then the problems started.

Barbara bought another SAAB (which later wrote off itself, my Discovery, and the Transit sized van parked on the other side of the road, from a standing start, in reverse. But that's another story).

We invoked the LEGAL ASSISTANCE part of our insurance, who took up the claim on Barbara's behalf. The Supermarket ignored all correspondence, athough our insurers somehow found out that they insured themselves.

Anybody can insure themselves. All they have to do is to deposit £1,000,000 (last time I looked) with the Attorney General.

Eventually, our insurers took the Supermarket to Court, who decided in our favour.

Our insurers re-instated Barbara's NCD, returned her £100, plus all the extra she had paid in premiums.

Me? I wouldn't be without Legal Assistance. For £10 per year (still?) it can save you a lot of grief ... particularly if the other party has it, and you don't.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 07:45:53 PM »

You don't necessarily need legal protection.
There are solicitors out there who will take on a case after listening to your story - if they think they can win.

These matters always get dragged out and delayed - it's a wearing down tactic designed to get you to drop the claim/case and settle for less than the going rate. Often it can go right up to the minute the court sits and an offer is made.
Justice can be a slow mover  :shakeinghead

Doesn't matter how or who the other party are insured with - you sue the *&%^$ off them.

:snowman-1

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 11:36:12 PM »

Nowadays more & more people seem to lease their car and they don't actually own it and they don't have to worry about such matters.

So, where would a leased car driver stand if the leased vehicle is written off in an accident that was their fault and the insurance payout to the lease company for the car is less than the lease company would need to replace the car like for like?  :stars

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2020, 05:11:36 AM »

So, where would a leased car driver stand if the leased vehicle is written off in an accident that was their fault and the insurance payout to the lease company for the car is less than the lease company would need to replace the car like for like?  :stars

Hi Herald,

If you buy a brand new car, your premium will increase substantially ... because the insurers have to pay the FULL REPLACEMENT COST of a brand new car.

Of course, they keep your wreck, get a trade discount, can probably off-set the VAT, and with luck  they can "UP" your premiums,  reduce your NCD, and let you pay the "first £100. Their "loss" is probably a nice little earner.

The question is ... does your NEW car premium drop the following year?

Remember, if your insurers write off YOUR car, the policy dies with it. So your next premium will/should be  virginal. And so will your NCD. I suspect it doesn't work that way in practice, else everybody would change insurers.

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »

We had a write off recently.
They paid out and kept the policy running to transfer over to the new car.
I am with the Cornish mutual. A few quid extra but they have been fantastic with out problems.
Simple phone calls to a local voice. No add ons, straight through.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.