S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: MoT exemption declaration  (Read 874 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: MoT exemption declaration
« on: October 13, 2020, 07:55:17 AM »

Hi,

Er ... "brain on gimbals time".

Are we allowed to fit previously used SECTIONS of another chassis ... like, say, the rear cross-member?

If yes, are we similarly allowed to change the front right hand dumb iron with a previously used  dumb iron? And if we do, should we swap the registration plates too?  :whistle

Richards told me where to find their chassis number, but not having a chassis, I didn't look ... and now I've forgotten where they said. Whatever, it doesn't seem sensible to stamp the identity on a section that is easily obtainable/replacable.

Many yonks ago, I pondered on using a chassis number  punched (in binary) on paper tape, then using the paper tape as a drill jig to transfer the binary holes to a strip of steel, thereby making a steel drill jig that could be used to "number" every chassis section of a new chassis before galvanising ... at which point, my brain started to hurt.  :stars

During my time at DVLC, I quickly learned to read numerics on paper tape and punch cards. Simple binary. My first boss seemed quite impressed. (It WAS 1972) I had no need to read alfa characters on tape, (I was only interested in document numbers) but some of my girls could.

PS. One of our programmers was blind. I found her one day, running a scanner over the pages of a conventionial printed book. She showed me that the scanner converted the scanned text to Braille, and sent it to a "clicky" thingy under the index finger of her other hand. I reckon that her "reading speed" was faster than mine.

OT. A high ranking Pratt gave a talk on some obscure subject. When finished, he asked if there were any questions. There followed a short silence ... until a guide dog, sitting at his master's feet  ... "trumped".  :cheers

Somebody asked owner of that dog how you formed a working relationship with a new dog?

"Well, you ask him to find a pub! And later you ask him to find a toilet! After that, everything else is easy!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.