S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Membership  (Read 2348 times)

whitehillbilly64

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6702
  • .:
Membership
« on: November 25, 2020, 09:23:45 AM »

Difficult times call for difficult measures.
Not sure if I could manage membership this year.
But am back for another 12 months......... Sure I will get use to Stale bread and FourX beer after a while. :cheers

whitehillbilly    (Aus)

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
Re: Membership
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 10:15:16 AM »

Well done that man - priorities sorted out   :cheers
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 10:40:58 AM »

These are indeed hard times - the hardest most of us will ever have experienced...
People are struggling and some times it's the little "luxuries" that have to go.

That said, our subs are amongst the lowest for a global car club.
£21 for the UK, £26 for overseas subs and there is no £5 joining/admin fee that many have.
Our subs have remained at this level for 12 years now!
Unprecedented in the car club world.

I think I can safely report that subs are set to remain at this level for another year, at least.

:RHD 
Who's a then ?

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »

Have to agree with Alan, the Series two club is great value for money.
The series one club this year cost me a £5 joining fee and is £29 a year after that. The forum is far less active too but the club mag is on par with Built2Last, both exceptional quality magazines.

I justified the membership fee this year as I have saved a few quid by not putting my Land Rover on the road. It was due to be re-insured in March and I thought, I'll leave it until this virus thing blows over....

Craig.

David A

• Old Brummie
  • S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5546
  • .:
  • 1958 Series2 swb , 2003 110 utility td5
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 12:32:29 PM »

Membership of The S2C has been excellent for me for all sorts of reasons including access to the workshop manuals and club member wisdom. I dont think there are so many Series LR  enthusiasts in Ireland , so having access to an extensive network of friendly folk to seek advice is invaluable . Great value for money!
David A

Ray Clayton

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7124
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 12:50:45 PM »

Being a newbie too this Club, i have to say.
The Welcome has been good.
The Mag and membership pack is good.
The price is good.
I take my hat of to the committee and members both past and present, for making what it is today.
Take a bow
Well done guys and girls.  :-*

:o

:cheers

Cheers

Ray

1962 Series 2a 109
Discovery 4

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 06:57:53 AM »

Hi,

Just how far can the club membership discount be stretched? Halfords?  Tyrebays? Cheap "cuppa" at a road-side diner? I think suspect it will get you something off your insurance premium, if you choose your broker with care .. but what about SWMBO's car?  :whistle

Don't ask, don't get!

Do ask, don't deserve! But they are unlikely to put the price up, just because you pushed a little.

PS, I wan't half a dozen young fruit trees ... apples, cherries, etc. Is there a Land Rover friendly garden centre in Milton Keynes, that is desperate to trade?

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 05:08:10 PM »

PS, I wan't half a dozen young fruit trees ... apples, cherries, etc. Is there a Land Rover friendly garden centre in Milton Keynes, that is desperate to trade?

Off topic, but at this time of year you will save more by buying bare root mail order than it will cost you in postage.

I can recommend Keepers' Nursery in Kent for a fantastic range including a lot of unusual varieties, but if you want something fairly standard, Thompson & Morgan, Marshalls and Primrose are all OK.

Personally, I avoid Chris Bowers at all costs (look at the online reviews).

Do make sure you choose the right rootstocks.

Alec

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 05:19:02 PM »

Halfords have a "Trade Card" discount - we have tried many times over the years to get club membership into the scheme but we have been declined. Many members do have Halfords trade cards through their work connections.
I guess if they let one car club in, it would open the flood gates. Depends how the business is going if they need the cash flow through the tills
:cash  Kerching

Garden centres are open, they are considered to be selling essential goods.
 :timber
I'd avoid Notcutts ... not because it's rubbish, but because the prices tend to be higher than most.

A separate dedicated topic/post asking for a good nursery in the MK area might home in on some good suggestions.
If you enter "Milton Keynes garden centres" into Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle you'll get lots of hits.

:xtree

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 01:19:47 AM »

^^^^ I suspect its actually down to the local Manager but others may know.... I have a Halfords Trade Card based on rocking up in uniform one lunchtime when I worked in the Bde HQ in Stirling, I must therefore be one of the staff at the old Base Workshop a few hundred yards away, wink wink.... Anyway, they get a decent trade from me for oil and the likes.  Hey, I've got 5 LR in assorted stages of rusting back to nature, I must count as a fleet user :-)

I probably use the motor factors TMS a bit more, I get a trade discount there too, based on keeping the Merc mobile....   

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 01:27:00 AM »

Hi,

Just how far can the club membership discount be stretched? Halfords?  Tyrebays? Cheap "cuppa" at a road-side diner? I think suspect it will get you something off your insurance premium, if you choose your broker with care .. but what about SWMBO's car?  :whistle

Don't ask, don't get!

Do ask, don't deserve! But they are unlikely to put the price up, just because you pushed a little.

Do you want some genuine ex "Ancient Woodland" Oak ?  I have rather a lot of seedlings coming up all over the place :-)  See also Alder, Bird Cherry, Birch...

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 06:32:49 PM »

I didn’t know getting a Halfords trade card was that difficult, all I did was fill in an application online , said I’m in the car delivery trade and hey presto !

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 09:21:59 PM »

... and your supporting documents - wages slip, letter from employers were what - forged ???

When I last looked you needed to provide proof you were in one of the qualifying categories.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 09:37:49 PM »

I've found, over the years, the discount has got less and less with the Halfords trade card.

I'm sure when I first got mine the discount on bulbs was something like 75% and oils 50%.

I hardly ever use it now unless I need something in a hurry - oils from Smith & Allen and bulbs, wipers etc. from ebay are cheaper, I find.

However, I'm sometimes tempted when they have special deals on tools, and their Advanced range has a lifetime guarantee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 17 queries.