S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fabricating a 12 INCH long SWB chassis?  (Read 1253 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Fabricating a 12 INCH long SWB chassis?
« on: January 06, 2021, 07:45:36 AM »

Hi,

Many yonks ago, I made a model of Barbara's Reliant Sabre 6 361WYD (Google for images) to a scale of one millimetre equals one inch (approx 1/25th).

I started with a length of 1" x 2" PAR timber, cut into four short lengths,  which were fret-sawn to the side elevation, then glued together. I then carved that block to shape with a Stanley (craft) knife, and finished off with sand-paper. The head lamps were drawing pins

Not a bad representation, if I say it myself.

No, I didn't finish it ... I couldn't find any one inch diameter wire wheels. OK, maybe I didn't look very hard. Or maybe I could have got somebody to turn me a set of "steel" wheels on a lathe.

I made two such bodies, both of which keep turning up, in odd corners of the house, nearly forty years later.

Whatever ....!

I'm pondering on making a 1/12th scale model of an SWB S2 chassis frame, out of brass bar (£££). That will be about 12" long, 1/4" wide side rails, but I haven't yet measured the depth of the chassis rails ... and nor have I checked the factory "coach builder's" drawing - it's virtually illegible, and anyway, it's a 109" which has deeper rails.

I haven't yet found drawings of the cross-members, nor out-riggers, but they can be cut off a scrap chassis, and measured on the bench. Even a decent photograph could be enlarged, and scaled. Everything to be soft soldered.

Once the chassis is complete, I'll ponder on springs, axles and wheels.

The embrionic plan is to copy the chassis drawing in the Green Bible (Hey, it passes the time!) and enlarge it to the required size. Then empty my garage, and erect my work bench. So don't hold your breath.

If anybody can suggest where to find a better/usable chassis plan for an 88", I'd be grateful.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Fabricating a 12 INCH long SWB chassis?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 06:27:22 AM »

Hi,

The easiest solution seems to be to COPY the side elevation of the chassis from the Green Bible, and PASTE it onto
an A3 document , then SAVE.

Display that document on the screen, and trace it with MICROSOFT PUBLISHER (cos that's what I've got, and understand.) Then delete the initial copy from the Green Bible, leaving just my tracing, for me to play with.

The factory COACHBUILDERS PLANS can give a lot of detail, albeit difficult to view on the poor copy available, and I will have to compensate for it being the plan of a 109".

Fingers crossed, and back to the drawing board.

Malcolm R

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6730
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 11:44:50 AM »

On Facebook there is someone who is making an amazing model of a 109. If you do decide to go that route I'm sure he'll be happy to give you all the dimensions you'll ever need. If you do just copy the drawings on the manual I'm sure many of us on here will happily provide you with the other dimensions needed. A different solution would be to ask Richards Chassis for dimensions. I'm not sure if they actually would as they have obviously had to work quite hard to get them.
1963 SWB 2.25L petrol

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 11:01:27 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for comments. And I'm very impressed with the model in the pictures (soul destroying  :'( )

I intended doing as suggested, but am having problems working out how to convert a captured image into an image on the screen. I can copy and print.

CANNON MG25505

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.